1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8-Ball Synergies

Discussion in 'Core Set' started by Flipswitch, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

Hi folks,

Keen to keep playing Aristeia and using this big arse panda, what sort of synergies are your favourite? I've been enjoying lugging the obstacles around with him to constantly set up mobile cover for Major Lunah. Combined with Holo Sight you can really set up some long vectors for example.

-V- and precinctomega like this.
  2. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

Not exactly a synergy but I was greatly surprised when my opponent used "Dance for Me" to Swap 8-ball's ally into a scoring zone and my character out by moving each character five hexes as 8-ball was two hexes away from each and exactly between them!

Gorionar, Flipswitch and Plebian like this.
  3. natetehaggresar

natetehaggresar Senior Backlogged Painter Manager

He really likes extra dice. His abilities and attacks don't roll very powerful ones, and frequenlty you're using him to try and trigger a switch anyway, not to do damage. I think both Laxmee and Hannibal play nicely with him to allow him the extra dice he wants for his triggers to go off.

To be honest, I have a hard time leveraging him. His abilities are expensive and short range, and hes not terribly quick. I think he excels in scenarios that are predictable, especially king of the hill, and struggles in assualt because the zone bounces around so much.

4. Tipzntrix

Tipzntrix Active Member

I agree with nate's first point. Giving 8-Ball ANY extra dice is huge, and he doesn't do much damage unless he has those extra dice, so you are usually using him for triggers. Putting 8-Ball with any Melee attacker and Laxmee on turn 1 is a favourite play of mine.

Laxmee focuses 8-Ball.
    8-Ball moves up a little bit, uses Be Water, Dude with the yellow Focused die, and switches himself forward before picking up the melee char and dropping them pretty close to the scoring zone, threatening the whole zone.

I disagree that the short range is that much of an issue or that he is that slow. He has an average movement of 4 with a lot of extra displacement from switches and can get a little boost from his tactics cards as well.

Hannibal gives him a lot more offensive threat if you need that out of 8-Ball, because 8-Ball can attack twice, getting two orange dice. Hannibal can also use 8-Ball's attack with Programmed Strategy, which still gets the extra orange die if Hannibal has LoS on the target.

Flipswitch and Roadrunner7431 like this.
  5. REND

REND Well-Known Member

I really like 8-Ball, he's versatile once you figure out his limitations. Anything that will give him extra dice is valuable if you want to ensure his rolls are successful. By themselves his actions can be somewhat hit & miss. However he's able to perform similar displacement shenanigans to Hexx3r, particularly in regards to total distance moved. 'Be water dude' can place the target to any free space adjacent to him so if you get his switch on top the target can end up moving 4-5 spaces across the hexadome. This is great for setting up melees for characters like Mushashi or Valkyrie, for getting ranged character out of melee so they shoot freely as well as either moving enemy models out of a scoring zone or getting an ally to a position to score.

With 5 health and solid defence he's pretty survivable and always remember his switch. Against characters with limited range he can sometimes just displace himself out of range of any follow-up attack. (Particularly good against 2 cost attacks like Parvati and Hannibal's.)

He's also a really, really good blocker for preventing enemies pieces from moving past him. His brawn is second to none and his agility ain't bad either so if the task is to physically block enemies from getting to the zone or rush past, he's one of the best options out there. He's not so slow that spending a turn just running (and maybe spending a tactics card) won't get him to the scoring zone.

Flipswitch, Roadrunner7431 and -V- like this.
  6. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

In the short lived TTS league, the winning four character team contained 8-Ball as one of the team in more than 90% of the matches. This is even more telling since all twelve characters were available to choose an 8 of 12 roster.

7. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

Great posts. I'll definitely try out Laxmee Panda combo!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation