1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st game with MO

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by Jlester92, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Jlester92

Jlester92 New Member

Played my 1st game with MO. Ended up getting beat 7-0 but it was due to my own mistakes. I have one question regarding one decision I made. I am running the Joan, DeFersen, 3 hospitaller knight link. I am running up the right flank and there is an intruder sniper perched across the board. He is in the long rang band. It will take me two orders to run across an open area. If I get across I have a good change of taking out a Kriza and his LT. My thought was to risk running across and letting the sniper have two unopposed shots. But I chickened out and stayed. This ended up costing me my link and Joan the next turn. In others experience is it worth running this link in open space since it is designed to take a beating.

2. stargorger

stargorger Well-Known Member

Thing is if he crits/kills your link leader and you have no Command Tokens left to reform. And of course losing Joan or De Fersen could be a big chunk of your army strength depending on your build.

In that scenario (you said it would take 2 orders but I'm assuming you had more than 2 orders left?), I would have moved, forced him to declare his target, then shot at him. Make it FtF. Then do the same next order, see if he still wants to FtF (you might have killed him or gotten him to at least drop prone/retreat). If he doesn't, move again to run, and if he's prone/out of LOS you can just move and shoot your third order. If he shoots back, well, you have another chance to kill him.

TLDR; yes it's more order intensive but if you have the ability, taking out the Intruder, forcing a FtF, and not just tanking crits is usually better I've found.

3. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

So Intruder was outside of 32" range for your HMG ?

Mikes likes this.
  4. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

MO are like a sledgehammer, even when playing without knights you need to press on and do damage, a Joan link needs to be constantly in the offensive.

stargorger, yojamesbo and eciu like this.
  5. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Yea, go go Spitfires!

6. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

The heavy infantry link is your wrecking ball, they can usually beat out most things on active turn through volume of dice and superior BS. Even if you're in bad range its often time worth shooting because at the end of all the modifiers you're 5 for 11s and they're 1 for a 12 or 13. well worth it imo. they have two wounds and decent ARM, so they can afford to make a mistake. that being said, don't intentionally put them in a bad situation.

I really want to like MO, but running the Heavy infantry link every game gets very boring very quickly.

7. Wombat85

Wombat85 Well-Known Member

Can I just throw in what is with your boards having a 16" (2 x (4+4)) gap with no cover or similar effect. That's way to much open space.

stargorger likes this.
  8. Jlester92

Jlester92 New Member

He was in long range. I debated shooting by there was no cover. I figured it was better to run than try to shoot but then I did neither

9. psychoticstorm

Don't worry it happens to everybody best course of action though is to stick to the plan even if it is a bad one.

10. Jlester92

Jlester92 New Member

It wasn't more of a question on how aggressive you can be with that link walking in an open area against a sniper

11. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Roughly this aggressive.

yojamesbo likes this.
  12. psychoticstorm

I think shooting back is far greater option even with bad modifiers

yojamesbo likes this.
  13. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

Definitely. But while the example used non-expendable intruder, the question was about snipers in general, and some of them are cheaper and less important, so they can afford shooting at non-team-leader model in this scenario.

Granted, chances to actually disable a knight is slim even with decent weapon, and if you don't, this move is questionable.

14. psychoticstorm

The point I was trying to make is that moving and shooting in the open is still the best option even if it is done twice.

MO need to be played aggressively, way more than usual.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation