1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.1.1 Fake Template Baits

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Diphoration, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Greetings,

After only having scratched the surface of what could be possible with the 1.1.1 change and preemptive skill declaration, I can see some of the concern that were raised about preemptive skills and template weapons.

I present you, the fake template baits (One of the many wonky interactions of preemptive declarations)

- - - - -

Please note that the actual profiles are not important in the example, only showing the problematic interaction, please do not be pendantic over it.

- - - - -

Zhanshi 1, Zhanshi 2 and Zhanshi 3 are linked.
    Zhanshi 3 has a Multi Sniper Rifle

Fusilier has a Missile Launcher
    Fusilier is inside of a Smoke (I know PanO doesn't have smoke, this could be any trooper with a impact template weapon)

Active player: Fusilier Missile Launcher declares BS-Attack with Zhanshi 3 as main target, using Blast Mode. The template overlaps Zhanshi 2, Zhanshi 3 and the Camo trooper.

Reactive Player: Zhanshi 3 declares a BS Attack to oppose the Fusilier. Dodges with the other 2 members.
    Active Player: Fusilier idles.

Result: Fusilier's Shot is invalid, Zhanshi 3 Shot is invalid, the Zhanshi link is broken, the Camo trooper is revealed.

- - - - -

Alternate Declarations

Zhanshi 1, Zhanshi 2 and Zhanshi 3 are linked.
    Zhanshi 3 has a Multi Sniper Rifle

Fusilier has a Missile Launcher
    Fusilier is inside of a Smoke (I know PanO doesn't have smoke, this could be any trooper with a impact template weapon)

Active player: Fusilier Missile Launcher declares BS-Attack with Zhanshi 3 as main target, using Blast Mode. The template overlaps Zhanshi 2, Zhanshi 3 and the Camo trooper.

Reactive Player: Zhanshi 1, Zhanshi 2, Zhanshi 3 and the Camo trooper declares Dodge.

Active Player: Fusilier Moves out of the smoke, then back inside the smoke.

Result: Fusilier's gets an (edit in italic) free shot at all the targets versus their Dodge

upload_2021-6-17_9-46-55.png

The same situation can be recreated with a Direct Template Weapon

upload_2021-6-17_9-59-10.png

- - - - -

Outside of this being insanely unintuitive, it's all perfectly legal declarations of skills, I can't imagine having to teach these kinds of interactions to players, it's easy to see how having these kinds of declaration be valid is a confusing mess.

Edit: I thought the shot could not go off, but with further reading and exchanges with other players in https://forum.corvusbelli.com/threads/1-1-1-no-lof-preemptive-direct-template.39894/#post-407658 it seems like the way smoke is worded that this example above is not only unintuitive, but could actually be a viable shot. (Yikes)

#1 Diphoration, Jun 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  2. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Wait, but if there's no attack on a resolution step, how can they dodge? They are not a target of attack (and not affected by template) so their aro becomes invalid and changes to idle. And nothing happens.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

Hmm.

I think it may be unresolved whether this would work. Because:

When the Fusilier declares BS Attack, you have to specify the point from which he is shooting from.

A) Can he declare the shot from a point outside the smoke (which he does not yet occupy)?

B) If he declares the shot from inside the smoke, then moves outside the smoke, does the shot succeed? Or does it fail because it is still being executed from a point where there isn't LoF to the target?

I don't think we yet have answers to either question.

Note it's a different scenario from where the reactive trooper is the one declaring the speculative shot. The reactive trooper doesn't move, so he can declare he will shoot from his existing position. Then if the active trooper moves out of smoke, he shoots the active trooper from the position he declared he would shoot from.

DukeofEarl and toadchild like this.
  4. Diphoration

Warcor

They perform and idle, but they still declared a Dodge. Declaring a Dodge is what breaks fireteam and breaks Camouflaged state, not the actual resolution of the skills.

5. QueensGambit

The problem is that the declaration of the template attack lets the Zanshis declare Dodge. It's the declaration of skills that break fireteams and camo. Even if the skills are converted to idle at resolution, Dodge was still declared.

Diphoration likes this.
  6. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

You say the Fusilier gets an unopposed shot - do you mean that the Zhanshi don’t get to shoot back? Because it sounds like you’re saying they don’t get to make their dodge rolls as FtF.

7. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I think the need to declare a point on the movement path for attacks significantly hampers preemptive BS declarations.

8. Diphoration

Warcor

Sorry, they do get their Dodge, I didn't mean unopposed as in no FtF, but as in no danger. I'll edit to reflect this!

toadchild likes this.
  9. QueensGambit

Not for preemptive BS Attack AROs. We know that you have to specify the point you're shooting from at declaration, but not the point you're shooting to. So the ARO trooper can just wait to see where the active trooper moves, and then choose to shoot at the point of movement most favourable to the reactive trooper.

If it hampers preemptive BS declarations by the active trooper, that's probably a good thing :-) If it does hamper it; the discussion in the direct template thread suggests it might not.

10. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I was specifically responding to the active turn missile launcher stuff in this thread. I agree that the reactive scenario is a bit different.

11. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

OR, through some magic, are both of BS Attacks rendered valid, validating each-other because being the target of a BS Attack through smoke allows the Zhanshi to declare an attack at -6, and, therefore being the target of an attack, the Fusilier shoots back also at -6 :-P
    (mostly joking)

#11 Lawson, Jun 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2021
  12. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I believe this can happen if you very carefully stack mimetism, cover, range, surprise attack, and suppressive fire mods on models with BS 12 or less. Both models are on BS 0, causing the shots to auto-miss, but if the surprise or suppression mods were canceled, then both models would be firing on BS 3.

Lawson likes this.
  13. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work because you have to place templates (and thus choose your firing position) at declaration, unlike with non-template weapons.

14. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I don't know whether it's transferable to N4 or if the logic behind it is sound on its own, but from what I can remember of my er... debates... with IJW on this topic I think that while the attacks automatically miss, they aren't cancelled like if they were out or range, so the MODs would still apply even if the shots have no chance of hitting.

toadchild likes this.
  15. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

oops. meant this in the other template thread.

Lawson likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation