1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jumping over zero-height terrain zones?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Hecaton, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

So, let's say you have a terrain feature that's a pond, which is more or less zero height on the game table and is an aquatic difficult terrain zone. The rules specify that terrain zones are of infinite height unless otherwise indicated, but is the perimeter of the terrain piece itself enough to indicate otherwise? Basically, can a model with super jump (but not a terrain skill) jump at full speed over such a pond? Obviously players should talk about this before the game, but for the default interpretation, my thought was that a terrain zone ends at the limit of said terrain piece, unless otherwise indicated by the scenario.

2. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

If you've defined a height for the zone, then passing over it means that you are not affected. You said it yourself - zones are of infinite height unless otherwise specified. So you need to arrange it with the other players when setting up the table.

I think that for water this is a reasonable default assumption, but it's good to make things explicit.

3. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

the basic rules define terrain zones as infinite height, so you cant "jump over" them.

If you are altering those rules, then its more up to you and others to determine how to play them.

"
    • In game terms, Special Terrain areas have infinite height unless otherwise specified."

inane.imp likes this.
  4. Danger Rose

Danger Rose The Wrecking Belles

I was going to appeal to "common sense" in case of water terrain, but this is a game where you can actually have an area full of water defying gravity simply by stating the game takes place onboard a ship or at a low-gravity enviroment.

Darn, now I want to make a Zero-G+Aquatic Terrain scenario.

DukeofEarl and WarHound like this.
  5. Hecaton

The question is if "otherwise specified" includes the boundary of the terrain piece representing it. And what does "otherwise specifed" mean? You seem to be interpreting it as "special terrain zones are always of infinite height." This is fine for things like the terrain zone in Rescue, as without that information you'd be left wondering how tall it is, but what Bout a bridge over a water terrain feature? Is that aquatic terrain too because the water terrain zone underneath it is of infinite height?

6. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

"Otherwise specified" means whatever the person writing the terrain rules says.

I could set up a table and say "the water terrain only affects you if you are moving on the physical piece of terrain, not if you jump over it". Now it's specified.

inane.imp and daboarder like this.
  7. Hecaton

I agree. @daboarder doesn't.

8. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I'm not going to speak for what others believe, but that's not how I read his post.

inane.imp and daboarder like this.
  9. daboarder

Warcor

discuss wth your oppoenent man, thats not hard

10. Hecaton

Yes... but you implied that a rule was being changed if you didn't have a terrain zone be infinitely high. It's not changing the rules, it's in the rules that a terrain feature can be defined either way.

11. daboarder

Warcor

pedantic much?

12. Hecaton

It's an important distinction. One's a house rule, the other's an application of a rule in the book.

13. daboarder

Warcor

the rules were quoted

14. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

Is it really though?

Both involve discussing and agreeing with your opponent. If you both agree thats how you play.

It might become expanded to be a discussion around your meta, but again I would say the distinction is purely cosmetic.

Danger Rose, inane.imp and daboarder like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation