1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Immobilised Impetuous Models?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Sletchman, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Sletchman

Sletchman New Member

So what happens in the Impetuous Phase when your model that has Impetuous is Immobilised?

It states that you must spend all impetuous Orders, and has a very limited list of what you can do (which does not include any of the things allowed by Immobilised).

Does the model activate and Idle-Idle? Its not allowed to Move, or Attack, after all. In the case of Extreme Impetuous you can't just ignore the order - you must spend them all - so how do you spend it? Idle-Idle doesn't seem to be legal, but I can't find what else you do when you can't do what you're allowed to.

Weird situation, right? Can easily come up in Hunting Party, with the free Stun Pistols and the alteration to their ammo type, but also any other mission if your opponent employs ADHLs.

Wolf likes this.
  2. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

I think he lose the Order (or never receive the Order) without being able to spend it.

Idle-Idle is not a valid declaration, and all valid declaration include some form of movement which you are not allowed to declare; so it is not the same case as when declaring what you thought you could declare and then perform Idle instead. When IMM you cannot declare Move. If IMM-1 you can usually declare Reset but you are not allowed to declare skills that are not on the list of allowed combination for Imp Order.

3. Sletchman

Sletchman New Member

True, but that breaks the "must spend all Impetuous orders" rule. Either option breaks a rule, far as I can see in my rulebook or the wiki.

And exactly what happens is kind of critical for AROs.

4. Spleen

Spleen Well-Known Member

So here's the deal, RAW the game breaks.

You generate the order as usual, immobilized even says as much.

You then have an order you have to spend, and which you have to declare move (or jump or climb)
    You aren't allowed to declare any of these as per immobilized
    You can't make illegal declarations and even if you took the tact that you can, the game falls apart because movement is a thing that just happens as soon as declared, you wouldn't "check" legality at resolution and revert it to an idle like with other things.

So there's a very legitimate case that you're forced to declare a move and then your immobilized trooper moves (which I'm sure we can all agree is a ridiculous proposition).

The RAW doesn't work because you're being mandated to do something you aren't allowed to do and there's no clear way to determine which should supercede the other.

You kinda just have to figure out what seems reasonable, personally I think the model should activate and idle, impetuous is meant to be a drawback after all, not a free order, that's why there's a discount attached to it.

5. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Since there are no legal declarations you can make with the order, it is effectively canceled. I would disagree with @Spleen and say that the impetuous trooper is never activated, and thus does not provoke AROs.

6. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

I would play it as idle-idle. Idle is used both explicitly allowed and implicitly allowed at times. For instance aro, idle isnt an option yet is declared if the chosen aro is no longer valid.

Idle is not allowed to be chosen but is rai the default behavor if something breaks down in the rules accidentally.

7. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Idle is a valid Impetuous declaration.

At the very least the trooper can Idle + well-fuck-I-broke-the-game. It's easiest to treat it as a single Idle / Idle + Idle though (functionally they make no difference for this interaction).

I fundamentally disagree with Spleen that you can't intentionally declare Invalid orders that just auto-fail to Idle though. But it's mostly irrelevant, in that you can work around the interaction.

toadchild likes this.
  8. Sletchman

Sletchman New Member

Well, glad to know that we found a legit loophole, rather then just a rules checking failure on my part. Well... sorta glad.

My inclination, and ruling at any event I ran, would be that they activate and Idle-Idle. Impetuous troops get a substantial enough discount for their abilities that it should be a drawback at all times, not just free extra orders (even if that's largely how I play them). I also don't feel that IMM should give someone a free order with which to cancel said Extreme Impetuous order, should they want to avoid any AROs.

9. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

10. inane.imp

Stealth is the only reason I can think it would be relevant.

11. Dannyboy89

Dannyboy89 Member

The rulebook states in order to cancel the extermely impetuous order you must spend a regular order to cancel it. In this case you are forced to do so as he cannot perform a legal move. There is no other legal option but for you to cancel his order. You have to do so. No exceptions.
    Edit: You cannot idle-idle as that is not a legal move

12. inane.imp

What if he's also Isolated? :P

13. ijw

Based on?

14. Dannyboy89

Dannyboy89 Member

Still stands, unless u are all out of regular orders from the order pool, in which case u have to spend a command tokens to Change an irregular order to a regular order in order to cancel. If for some sad reason you don't have any command tokens left then you should ask the Dice Gods how u got into this situation

15. Dannyboy89

Dannyboy89 Member

Forgot exactly which page the rulebook has the fury entry.
    But according to the wiki the table clearly states the combinations of short skills you must do unless you wish to cancel the order. If there is no legal combination of skills the only option that doesn't break the game is to cancel that order. Hence you have to do so because an extremely impetuous order must be spent if not the only other option is for it to be cancelled. Otherwise u will be breaking the game.

16. ijw

It's not worded like that. Cancelling the Order is purely voluntary, and there may not even be a Regular order available.

You appear to be adding rules that don't exist.

17. Dannyboy89

Dannyboy89 Member

You are correct. So I will use this to explain myself.
    • Troopers with this Characteristic must expend their Impetuous Order during the Impetuous Phase, and follow the rules specific to these kinds of orders.
    It says they MUST expend their order according to the rules specific to these kinds of orders.

However:

Canceling an Impetuous Order
    During their Impetuous Phase, players can cancel one Impetuous Order of an Extremely Impetuous trooper by expending one Regular Order from that Order Pool. To do so, remove the Impetuous Order Marker from that trooper, who cannot use it for any other purpose.

Canceling an Impetuous Order does not give the trooper the ability to benefit from Partial Cover MODs, as the trooper is still Extremely Impetuous.
    This gives an option to cancel.
    Hence you are presented with this:
    You HAVE TO DO A (spend the extremely impetuous order), IF NOT YOU CAN DO B(which is cancel).
    Since you cannot perform A legally, wouldn't the only legal option left be B?
    Edit: if there are no possibility of a Regular order to cancel, I recommend a sacrifice of 2 black chickens to the Dice Gods I find that most of my tabletop problems are solved through this augery.

#17 Dannyboy89, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  18. Sletchman

Sletchman New Member

Yeah, I caught that - that was actually the reason for my post. If you can't follow the rules for the order in the first place, do you use the order (and thus activate) at all?

So you'd agree they activate and Idle?

19. Dannyboy89

Dannyboy89 Member

If u cannot perform a legal extremely impetuous order. You have to cancel. Refer to my above post to see my logic on this.

20. Sletchman

Sletchman New Member

I saw your post, and your logic, but I politely disagree with your conclusion.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation