1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fatality Level 2 QQ thread (also state of Khawarijis)

Discussion in 'Haqqislam' started by Barrogh, Dec 15, 2017.

1. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Ok, point. But I doubt the Ghulam team will be 1 HMG and 4 12 point cheerleaders..

And yes, Tarik got a discount when he got Fatality N2 (I think 1 point and 0.5 SWC), while the Khawarij went from 1 to 1.5 SWC and got a 1 point discount.

2. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Intruder has both MSV which acts as a counter to one of the Nisse's defensive abilities, and is expending a marker state. There are more costs involved and the model is supposed to be used against this kind of target, it's not firing at BS 4.

Yeah, and that costs you your only 5 man link team assuming you get one and again, doesn't fire at BS 4 and adds a whole extra dice into the equation.

Again, not fair assessments at all in terms of cost or how many -MODs you're brute forcing your way through.

The point isn't these stats don't exist anywhere into the game, the point is these stats shouldn't be coming from a model that's being used with about as much finesse from the owning player as this:

[​IMG]

Someone using an Intruder to surprise attack and remove your Nisse? That feels like a reasonable use of strategy against you. Tarik Critfiring your second or third model off the table? That makes you roll your eyeballs at your opponent.

I don't feel Fatality makes Tarik (or Khawarij) ridiculously unbalanced, like 40k Titan tablewiping everything, but that it makes Tarik feel un-fun and dumb for both parties involved particularly when he has a greater propensity for a streak of crits.

#22 Triumph, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
    emperorsaistone likes this.
  3. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

A small nitpicking, but it's anything with BS12+ with 5 man bonus and shotgun, with no negative mods. Bolts, Greys, that kind of thing gets 15% crit at their BS13. But that's pretty situational.

xagroth likes this.
  4. SoMann

SoMann Member

Add marksmanship LX, Teucer gets 1 shot at BS 23.

xagroth likes this.
  5. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Yeah, but only on Active Turn, same reason I discarded the Posthuman Mk5 (CD13, Mk12, Marksmanship LX). And it goes to Burst 1, I've never ever seen anyone (including me) using it...

Yup, I missed those. However, they go to Burst 3 (and ignore the +3ARM granted by cover) while Sheskin and Kusanagi go for Burst 5. Hell, Kusanagi would be even better than Tarik thanks to her ODD (and all the nuns with her carry ODD, or Mimetism for the healer...). I think Sheskin is the closest thing to Tarik (cost, no ODD, skills, and specially Protheion L3, so she can potentially go from 1W+NWI to 3W+NWI...).

6. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Might be an insult, still might be accurate.

7. Natsymir

Natsymir Well-Known Member

discussion about the merits and flaws of the Fatality lvl 2 rule aside, to me, the Khawarijs are still as worthless as ever, as CB somehow saw fit to only give the spitfire profile the shiny new rule. Guess what? My Khawarij model happens to have a rifle, and never sees play as a result.

Balewolf likes this.
  8. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

Giving it to one profile does feel a bit bone, I figured they should all have it, though I'm not sure on the balance implications.

9. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I wouldn't discar for all the Khawarijs to get Fatality L1, it's been quite liberally given lately: to all tags when the season began, and now to a lot of models in the new druze NA2.

10. Alkasyn

Alkasyn Well-Known Member

And Spitfire Khawarij is the best profile anyway so it's just improving something outstanding from the rest.

11. Mc_Clane

Mc_Clane Zhànzhēng bùzhǎng
    Warcor

I think that maybe this choice aims for the Kawarij linkteam cost eficiency... but It seems more a kind of exploit to me. An hability tha It's better in High burst Weapons only in the profile that can achieve B5 in a linkteam ... An hability that bypasses anything the enemy can roll in a 1/3 chances during active turn :confused: (even better chances with B5)

I've seen TAGs, TOs, TR bots faling before one or two bursts of this thing like they were nothing. I'm Afraid what it might become on the next book. :expressionless:

xagroth likes this.
  12. Wyrmnax

Wyrmnax Well-Known Member

Fatality lv1 is.... meh. 1 Dam is nothing extraordinary - it is good, but not fantastic.

Fatality lv2 is... terrible in the current state of the game. Critical hits are already too powerful in Infinity - to the point that some games are very swingy because of crits, B6 is a sacred cow that must not be reached and ARMs useful is questionable at best. Giving a skill that makes that interaction even more prevalent is a terrible ruling, ESPECIALLY given it to a high burst character.

Tarik has 34.39% chance of hitting a crit as long as he is not stuck with a -12 modifier. ( You can check it on infinity dice - give him a -11 redutor so he is only critting firing at anything that has no action).

That is *ridiculously* large. He basically has 34% chance of winning *any* firefight on his active turn. No matter range, mods, misjudgement on your part, target ARM, anything. In a game that is highly tatical, where misjudging a distance can put you at a tremendous disadvantage, Tarik simply solve all problems by applying more crits to it.

Fatality is bad because of its uninteractiveness. The least interactive possible result in a resolution in Infinity is already a crit because it ignores everything that you paid to get your user a advantage - user BS, mods, armor, cover. Fatality doubles the chance of that happening.

It would have been ok on a low-burst or ARO piece, where its effects could be mitigated simply by the low number of dice being rolled. But on spitfires? And a 6-4 spitfire with superjump in case of Tarik? That can also take a crit himself and stay alive thanks to having 2 wounds? The result is infuriating when you are on the other side of the table, as there is *nothing* you could have done differently to prevent a rampage, and also disappoint when its on your side as simply winning because you critted a oponent that by all means should have won leaves you with a bad taste.

#32 Wyrmnax, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    Hecaton, eciu, DruidNei and 1 other person like this.
  13. Natsymir

Natsymir Well-Known Member

While I don't question statistics, I've played Tariq in 5 games thus far, and in the second to last one, he failed to win a single face to face roll, and in the last, he got killed in the first round by losing two consecutive F2F in his active turn against a missile launcher. So he's certainly not an auto-win-button by any stretch. 34% is not probable enough that it'd make most Face to Face roll truly worthwile, as the other 66% would often mean Tariq being hit in the face with Explosive ammo or something.

Srsly, what makes Tarik appealing to me is the combination Super jump + 2 Wounds, and his awesome selection of weapons (direct template, speculative fire template, and B4). Fatality hasn't done that much for me this far, but sure, I've might have been unlucky.

Gabarra and Fool like this.
  14. grampyseer

grampyseer User of the "ignore" button
    Warcor

I'll chime in. I'm not a big fan of the mechanic, but I haven't seen it used enough to comment on its balance. My only game against Tarik since the change saw him absolutely wreck face with 1's, but my statistical sampling is not strong enough to say that he's now broken because of Fatality. I have a confidence borne of experience that Fatality is a well play tested rule, and will not be overly disruptive to the balance of the game.

Yep, another status quo post from me.

15. Danger Rose

Danger Rose The Wrecking Belles

ROTFLMAO!!!!

First the disclaimer: I Crit a lot. And I mean A LOT. Still, I've only won 2 games because of Crits (18 and 14 crits respectively); even though I've been playing roughly once a week for the last 2 years. I know my opinion is anecdotal, and I understand that it carries little weight, but while it's true "Crits Kill People", you can't activate a Crit, like a Surprise Shot, or modify your odds for it by range. The best you have is high Burst to increase the odds; but that is not the same as an automatic success. It's not a skill in which you can count on, like Stealth, or MSV2. It's nice to have it (especially if, like me you crit a lot); but, in my experience, not a real game changer.

Gabarra and DukeofEarl like this.
  16. Wyrmnax

Wyrmnax Well-Known Member

34% is not his chance of winning FtF, it is his chance to critting.

If he needs more than 2 to hit the enemy his chances of winning the FtF are higher than that. And unless you are at -12 mods, he will have better chances than that.

And on that 66 remaning % there is also the chance of nothing happening - wich can be quite large, depending on mods involved.

Nenyx likes this.
  17. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

The problem with this is how hard to "predict" outcomes Infinity is. When people asks me, I usually go with "it's like Blackjack, but using 20-sided dice and each player looks for a different and variable number instead of a fixed one".

Heck, I'm the first one hearing from "pro" players that the best thing in Infinity is not FtF, all the time. And I understand their position since, like I always mention, my Mk4 HRL proxy has killed more heavy units in ARO than it seems possible (critting at 4, burning an intact Raicho from a single ARM roll to dead, killing a Prowler at knifepoint with another crit...), while my Tarik has close to zero options to do his job (the enemy tends to go for him ASAP, since in reactive he is less threatening even in SF).

18. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Fatality - Best fluffy sniper skill since Marksmanship L2? Its only crime is that it's on a spray-and-pray model.

Question: would Tarik and Khawarijs have been better received if given Full Auto*? Not at the same price point, of course, Full Auto is considerably more expensive.

* If we ignore that Full Auto is getting hate and try to avoid debating said hate here.

Darkvortex87 likes this.
  19. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

Plus, it's not just that crit have a good chances of winning FtF, it's also bypass the armor, when armor is already rather expensive for a debatable effect. Especially on weapons like spitfire who are usually not that great vs big armor.

20. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

As others have mentioned, that's his chance to crit, not his chance to win.

Plus facing Suppressive Fire, Fireteams, Total Reaction, Neurocinetics etc. will all reduce the chance that Tarik crits and/or wins.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation