1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Basic Strategies!

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by KaiAgni, Apr 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. KaiAgni

KaiAgni Member

Simple as it sounds right? Well not always, especially when you are also learning or trying to teach someone the rules.

What are some of the most basic strategies one should be implementing regardless of faction?

I am talking the basic fundamentals that as a new player one may miss or neglect. It is all to common that when demonstrating a game with someone that is becomes an all to basic shoot up. All the nuances of what is a rather complex game are lost.

I would like to compile them into a basic table side document as a reference for newer players to help them explore there options while being introduced to the game or while playing there first games.

2. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

Setting up suppression fire is an easy one, a basic thing you should learn that it exist and to use it, even in a demo.

Belgrim, KaiAgni and Commoner1 like this.
  3. Ieldin Soecr

Ieldin Soecr Well-Known Member

One basic advice I give to newer players:
    "If a trooper does not need to be standing, he goes prone"
    Newer players often overlook that their models can be attacked from higher elevations, even when they think they are save in their deployment zone, especially with the silouette mechanic which is foreign for many players coming from other tabletops.

Teslarod, Barrogh, xagroth and 2 others like this.
  4. KaiAgni

KaiAgni Member

During your active phase your try to position your models so they are shooting from there plus range bands and if possible that your opponents models are not.

Robock likes this.
  5. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

Reaction is about trying to deny and suppress your opponent and waste their orders rather than directly kill them, the latter is just a bonus.

6. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Your troops need overlap, if you can force the enemy to take a hit or distribute his Burst, you gain some advantage.

Always cover your flanks. An enemy AD troop can make a big mess.

Chain Rifles are for sacrificial troops, but those troops carry pistols. Force the enemy to choose, and make his choice a bad one regardless.

There is a constant amount of pressure in any game. Let the enemy enjoy it all: chain rifles and flamethrowers are great because HE has to roll and risk death.

A hidden deployment/AD troop is always useful.

Imposing negative MODs is better than having a high ceiling to roll against: you can roll a 1 and your opponent a 2.

And my golden rule:
    Do not feel bad if the game was decided solely by dice, the RNG wanted tears and there is nothing you can do.

ZlaKhon and Belgrim like this.
  7. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

Try things out. Take risks. Don't sweat it. Your dudesmen are all meant to die. If it all ends quickly, set back up and play another game.

Teslarod and KaiAgni like this.
  8. KaiAgni

KaiAgni Member

If negative MODS are stacked against in ranged combat consider your other options. Having a better chance to do something other than shoot or return fire is a valid option. Try not to rely on making improbable rolls or on opponent failures. A low ceiling roll is a wasted action if you could have had a higher one. Dodge, Special Dodge.

9. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

Focusing on a using a single unit can lead to dangerous over extending. Try and keep a couple orders (I'm starting to use 1/4, but that varies) to reposition for the reactive turn.

Barrogh, xagroth and Tom McTrouble like this.
  10. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

This is great starting advice. At the start of your turn, just set aside any orders you'll have to use for suppressive fire, re-camoing, etc.

11. tgreatdk

tgreatdk Member

My most often used mantra has for a long time been this.

Every unit is overpowered the first time you encounter something new. Learn from it rather than grovel over it. Hardly nothing is impossible to deal with

12. KaiAgni

KaiAgni Member

The first I encountered Devil Dogs and and Antipode Pack. Ah memories.

13. Foxbringer

Foxbringer Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Remember, that the loss of the main attacker doesn't mean defeat. Even your engineer who killed your TAG could still go forward and complete the mission by button pushing or killing.

Crits always happens. Just try to choose highest success chance.

Count enemy SWC, it's simple, this could help a lot to figure out enemy hidden deployment/AD or reserve. And if he has REMs, but you can't see hacker/TAG on a table.(in most cases it is in hidden deployment)

((For advanced players try to count points in enemy list))

Know about enemy army variants of weapons and equipment, such as possibility of TO, AD, Holoprojectors etc.
    And about some general troop choices(for example, Proxy Mk.2 with AHD or MSR)((Count enemy SWC again))

KaiAgni likes this.
  14. Andre82

Andre82 Well-Known Member

Remember to win.
    I know it sounds silly but I don't know how many times I have seen someone caught up killing troops and forget the mission.

Protect your flanks.
    A single CSU given a free run to your backline can decimate your cheerleaders or someone like Achilles can potentially table you.

Know the rules better then your opponent.
    Winning is like 20% knowing/arguing the rules better, especially for new players.

15. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Strike that language from your mind. It causes far more problems than it solves.

16. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Assume everything you leave out for AROs might die without achieving more than soaking an Order. Something like a Warcor or Chainrife Warband might be already earning its points by delaying something big and nasty that way.

Plan your next turn during your opponent's turn. Set humble goals so you can adjust if something busts your plan.

Don't bang your head against a wall that doesn't want to bend. Sometimes you get no result out of a very favourable situation, maybe you wiff 5 shots, maybe your opponent just made 7 Armour saves. Set yourself a reasonable limit how much a task should cost you, reevaluate your priorities and reschedule the task for next turn if necessary.

Don't play the other guy's game. Execute your own strategy and force your opponent to react to what you do instead of the other way around.

Steadily learn all rules and Factions. This might seem like a steep task, but will come naturally.
    Play a lot ask for courtesy lists and review your opponent's list after the game. Talking about tools and performance with each other speeds things up by a lot and you both benefit.

And the most important one:
    Never give up and play the mission. You'll learn more from a loss than a steamroll. Play to turn a major loss into a minor one, try to turn things back into a tie or take risky plays to gain a chance to win.

#16 Teslarod, Apr 11, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    macfergusson, xagroth and KaiAgni like this.
  17. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

Symbiomates are fantastic

paraelix and Hiereth like this.
  18. paraelix

paraelix Seed Embryo Scholar

Remember the following;
    Cautious movement is a thing
    Suppressive fire is a thing
    Command tokens are a thing
    Dodge is a valid reaction
    Flash Pulse has good range bands
    Electric Pulse can be scary
    Remember to declare your first short skill - Don't say "I shoot this guy", say "My first short skill is to idle". (I usually declare that my model does a dance)
    Remember the limits of declaring Discover against Camo troops.
    Remember that your/their whole order is simultaneous - they can move into B2B with their first short skill but still elect to shoot you during the part of the order where they weren't.

DukeofEarl, sarf and KaiAgni like this.
  19. fatherboxx

fatherboxx Mission control, I'm coming home.

Don't rely on smoke simply to do the MSV2 combo from your DZ, use it to get to the objectives safely, especially with cautious moves.

Always keep track of your opponent's orders - not only to prevent cheating, but to consider your options - if they have a whole pool to feed a multi-wound rambo or a TAG, it might be an option to shoot Stun and it is safer to bring out camo/TO AROs when there are only few orders left to eliminate them.

Keep track of your own orders - don't rush into multi-order shootouts with a HI fireteam, consider leaving a few for coordinated suppresion, falling back into a proper cover or going back into a marker state.
    In addition to that, don't stand outside the corner when firing if you don't want to do ARO duty on the coming turn - peek out and back, keep a proper firing angle for backstabbers, get into a good position for supressive fire.

Remember about Frenzy triggers and Impetuous providing no cover - when, say, Magister Knights fall out of the fireteam, or on a next active turn after a lonely Achilles hurts someone, remind yourself or your opponent to mark the troopers, so they wouldn't "accidentially" stack MODs that should not be there. They get massive discounts for Fury - make them count.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation