1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infinity RPG rules

Discussion in 'Modiphius Entertainment' started by R-z, Mar 22, 2018.

1. R-z

R-z Active Member

So do any of you have detailed insight for the RPG?

2. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

I'm a few games into a full campaign with the full rules, and had run a Quickstart with the second set of pre-release rules.

Personally I'm really happy overall and am finding that Infinity is both a good system and an amazing setting.

[​IMG]

As far as expanding the universe goes the RPG is delivering on every level. From a more detailed history and timeline 'through to FAR more in depth information on the factions, worlds and people of the Infinity universe. The base RPG core book is fantastic for this on its own, as are the missions we've seen so far. As they arrive the Wave 2 books (Faction books and the Game Masters Guide) are adding another layer to that depth. The Ariadna information in their Faction book makes them into an even more interesting and engaging group of communities, while the info on Antipodes is also very cool! The Game Masters Guide answered my most burning questions about space ships in the Infinity universe, including how they fight and what with.
    [​IMG]

Mechanically I'm enjoying the 2d20 system and think that it has been implemented well in the Infinity RPG. The core mechanic of rolling at or under a target number calculated from attribute plus skill on d20's to get successes is easy to grok and works well. The details of focus (which allows multiple successes on a single die) along with the infinity, momentum and heat pools make for dynamic and engaging play. Infinity points allow for "narrative interrupts" and buying successes for tests, which are a fantastic element to include in game design. Heat is a mechanic where the players can "buy" dice off the GM (so they can roll up to 5 for a test) without using resources (which is another common way to get additional dice) but know that this will make things riskier in the long term (as heat helps make NPCs more dangerous and can make the environment more deadly too). Momentum allows the PCs to indirectly support one another, with "extra" successes accumulating in a pool (up to a max of 6 at a time) which others can draw on to improve their own chances (by rolling more d20s).
    [​IMG]
    The application of the core mechanic to all systems means that once this has been grasped players can fight, hack, pilot, seduce or buy their way 'through the world without difficulty.

My only gripe would be the grittiness of the "Combat Dice" which use basic d6s but count only 1's and 2's as normal (adding the values together so 1, 2, 2 = 5) and 6's as "special effects" (so a roll of 1, 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 6 would be 4 + 2x "effect"). This is easy once you have appropriate dice set up (something you can colour the "pips" of the 3, 4 and 5 faces to the same colour as the dice is great and having a symbol on 6 is ideal) but does take a little getting used to. The stacking of "effects" can get complicated too, as one 6 could easily mean an opponent takes 2 damage, to 2 different locations, is knocked down and stunned, with the right combination of weapon and abilities.

Overall it's a game I am enjoying, find straightforward to run and would happily recommend.

Luisjoey and inane.imp like this.
  3. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

*Cough* IC section *cough*
    @psychoticstorm could you please move :)

#3 inane.imp, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  4. Luisjoey

Luisjoey High Marshall of Wotan
    Warcor

I really like the game, the game setting its great even we are as a party and DM understanding the game economics and the aquisition system.

I shall rename the game 5D20 because you usually get the 3 dice to make important/relevant checks.

The game system gets the most of the infinity universe and its awsome feeling. Recommended 100%

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation