September>December 2024: Nuclear winter has struck, leaving room for the N5

Discussion in 'News' started by Wizzy, Aug 12, 2024.

1. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

Yes. Instantaneously. It’s damn frightening

edit:

Text over text was one of the first things that the PhD student was testing it on. It took a while at first but now, it’s instant for text over text and it only takes a handful of moments for most fractal patterns like the ones you see everywhere.

UpirLihi, Phototoxin and Abrilete like this.
  2. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

In a recent interview with Bostria linked further above the rules about nanoscreen are briefly discussed.

Will you please chill and cut it. there are many options, ignore user been one, your conduct at least the last month is inappropriate.

3. psychoticstorm

Frightening indeed, that is how I was "erasing" sensitive text before discarding it, I am not sure there is any good form of safe erasure anymore.

On the plus side those old books that have been bleached and overwritten might finally be deciphered, who knows what ancient texts are there.

chromedog, Abrilete and Gwynbleidd like this.
  4. Gwynbleidd

Absolutely, there’s nothing truly safe anymore. All that can be done is that you make it difficult enough that it’s not worth the effort to attempt to decipher it but even that may not be enough soon. We are entering a truly scary period of history.

On the other hand, absolutely we can restore lost texts! We’ve had a huge amount of success, so much so you can even see it done in an advert where someone uses AI to recover an almost invisible family recipe. Think that study was an American team though, but don’t quote me on that although I can probably check, lol.

Hopefully text recovery can be used to restore damaged and incomplete books and the like and not for more nefarious purposes.

UpirLihi likes this.
  5. Child9

Child9 Well-Known Member

Take a chill pill, boy, you're all nervous and tensed.

You are claiming that the Hatamoto is "discounted". For such a claim not to be just random bullshit, you need to know how points are calculated in N5, what the N5 rules are (inclunding how Frenzy interacts with FTs), if frenzy still gives a discount in N5 are and what the hidden rule (which is not irrelevant) on the profile is. You know none of these. Thus, why don't you just keep your mouth shut until you come into possession of these informations? That would prevent you doing these useless, peremptory and thin-air based comments :)

Oh, and you clearly didn't read me enough if you think I'm saying amen to everything CB does or says. I surely have a whole lot of criticisms to adress to them and they are far from perfect. However, as said multiple times before, I do have an issue with the constant mix of pointless whining and rabid ranting that I have to endure on these forums.

I was talking about the hidden rule on the profile of the Hatamoto. I guess it's a new N5 rule yet to be revealed.

I know and I agree, part of my job is precisely image analysis and AI is both amazing and frightening (indeed) in this domain, with progresses too fast to keep up to date. However, I'm pretty sure Laughinggod didn't use such a tool to reveal the mystery rule... ;)

Phototoxin likes this.
  6. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

I like what I read about that interview. Looks like it going in a good direction.

Regarding PanO, if I remember correctly there was already speculation that Kestrel might take over the space for both SAA and NCA. I wonder what will happen in the end, if they're to be affected the most. And really looking forward to what will happen with fireteams, indicated changes might mean more ways to create a working list, always a good thing.

7. Gwynbleidd

Since you work in the industry then you are well aware of the fears of the coming world… care must be taken. Indeed, progresses in this area are moving faster than anyone anticipated. I can only imagine the headaches you must get.

I can’t say whether or not LaughinGod used such a tool, it seems unlikely but I only wanted to state that it wasn’t impossible.

Phototoxin likes this.
  8. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

Infinity: Lets simplify the game

Also Infinity: N5 fireteams will have 5 levels of purity

So old sectorials will be purged forever or will arrive later to N5? I will be upset as fuck if i cant play my main army for 12 years

#668 fari, Sep 28, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2024
    Tristan228 likes this.
  9. SpectralOwl

NCA seems to be safe for now- Swiss and Aquila Guards are in the new Vanilla. There's nothing SAA unique at all though in the section I was able to figure out, or (weirdly) any SWF. Only one known Knight as well- the Teutons. Given we have 16 LI and MI unaccounted for too, I believe some NCA will stick around for a while yet- MO provides almost nothing in those categories, Varuna and SWF can only provide so much before their Sectorials lose distinction, and frankly if there's much more Kestrel than I've already counted the main reason to choose Vanilla will be the Cutter. The move to weaker impure Fireteams is one I like, too- you have to trade stat buffs for versatility, making it more of a balancing act between capability and cost, and it should result in better balance across the board.

Stiopa and Gwynbleidd like this.
  10. Keith

Keith The Raven Lord

Fire works really well for erasing things.. ;)

11. SpectralOwl

I have also realised that everything NCA we've seen so far happens to also be in Reinforcements. Now I'm worried.

12. LaughinGod

LaughinGod Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I read too much of you, you activated these last few weeks like crazy, as if someone needed some damage control on this forum now with new edition releasing. You weren't that active before, considering you are registered since 2018. And many of your posts end in you saying people to shut up until N5 releases.
    I made zero claims about point cost, or that the profile itself is undercosted. So it IS completely irrelevant what the hidden skill is. And it is very safe to assume Frenzy will give discount, as it has ALWAYS done. Frenzy would be a pointless skill if it didn't have discount associated with it. So my assumption is valid and 99% chance it is true. You are arguing against everything we know about Infinity, which is absurd and stupid.
    My main issue, and where the cheat comes, is from Nanoscreen giving cover like bonuses without counting as cover. They added No Cover rule, so that you can't stack Nanoscreen cover like bonus with cover ( though with CB loving power creep I wouldn't be surprised that we don't get Nanoscreen unit without No Cover rule at some point ). So with Frenzy being what it is, this unit will still get cover bonus, even when it becomes impetuous. This is obvious cheat of their own rules, as if Frenzy wasn't abused enough already, and was hated for it, they literally invent new way to abuse it with new edition.
    We can revisit this in a month, I am 99% sure I am right about this and am very sad about it. And you can apologize to me then for being annoying and dismissive.
    @psychoticstorm I don't ignore people, I deem that cowardly behaviour. And I had like 15 posts this month, 1 was a joke, 1 was conversion thread and 1 was general info, rest are participating in discussions. This guy has that many posts in 2 days probably. I understand that you protect him, because he is in CB can do no wrong mentality as you, just in a very abusive way. TBH he sounds like you or Mao, like if one of you have alternate account on which they could say what they really wanted to, but can't on their original profile because everyone knows you are connected to CB. In any case, I am not trying to be rude to anyone, it just looks that way because my English is not that good and I try to use simple and effective words. That is why I have so few posts, even though I am on this forum every day, I try to speak as little as possible as my limited knowledge of English doesn't allow me to express in a way I would like to.

13. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I have it on pretty good terms that both NCA and Acon are gone for good. Some units may survive in vanilla PanO, but the sectorials won't be in N5 anymore.

#673 burlesford, Sep 28, 2024
  14. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

So while @Wizzy is doing a great job consolidating and capturing the interview, some nuance is necessary. The "5 levels of purity" they are talking about is really Fireteams are being changed dramatically. Purity will be very important. I interpret from the interview that The five levels are just the different bonuses you go as a fireteam goes to 2, 3, 4, 5 members. The bonuses are unknown, but Carlos strongly implies that mixed teams will not get powerful bonuses. But we will see.

He also says only a limited number of sectorials are disappearing. We also don't fully know which.

#674 Brokenwolf, Sep 28, 2024
  15. Phototoxin

Phototoxin Active Member

You say that but from my arson investigation workshops as a student back you can use raman spectroscopy to read things from burned paper sometimes. I know you're meaning literally burning to ash but since AI document detection was mentioned earlier (crazy stuff!) for archaeology I thought it might be useful to point out.

Anyway I'm excited for N5, I got back in recently by finding some other players and have been demoing at my game club (2 converts/2 games, 4 more people lined up!!!)

I understand the loss of minis is a bit irritating but the danger is doing a GW and purging literal factions some of whom have models as recently as 5 years back, and nuking their core line for a range refresh in one big swoop is a bitter pill. A gentle roll out - the 'TCG' model is not terrible as long as its not at an insane pace that invalidates your faction after a couple of months. (*cough mtg cough*) The consolation is that proxying is officially allowed in official tournaments which is a great attitude to have. At the end of the day if my opponent tells me that these 4 PanO dudes with automatic rifles are fusileers or order sgts it doesn't bother me, I'll believe them :-)

Also fair play to Mr Hydra for a great youtube and actually listening rather than interjecting every 5 seconds and asking relevant questions!

16. psychoticstorm

Fair enough, Ill keep it in mind.

You come as extremely rude, but limited knowledge of the language is a logical and acceptable justification for that.

LaughinGod likes this.
  17. Keith

Keith The Raven Lord

Yeah I kinda thought about that too. It was also meant more as a lighthearted comment. Not ultra serous. Hence the winky face. lol It’s actually quite hard to completely destroy anything without great effort and even then. I was merely implying more barbaric methods for fun.

Gwynbleidd and Phototoxin like this.
  18. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

So Child9 has been absolutely trolling 24/7 in every thread he is in (which is all of them related to N5 news) but you feel the need to rebuke LaughinGod instead? You are flat out telling him he is "extremely rude" while the other fella is out there trolling, baiting and insulting people while you say nothing? At least pretend to have some neutrality

#678 Benkei, Sep 28, 2024
  19. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

The mention of Magic formats suggests factions and miniatures are getting rotated for good

Also the brief summary seems to suggest CB thought about simplifying the game, but they decided not to because "infinity competitive players are such chads" (or they had to divert manpower to Warcrow, feel free to choose the option you deem more likely)

And I can even understand they NEED to remove things from the game after all these time if they want to keep releasing new shiny stuff, but it baffles me when GW does it they are the most absolute evil but if it's CB it's wonderful

P.D: let's make a bet Nanoscreen + Frenzy/Impetuous is gonna be the new NWI + SI

#679 Benkei, Sep 28, 2024
  20. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

There is a limit of what can be done, as you cannot reverse information loss (in the terms of Shannon) and blurring introduces such (almost always). But ML is very good at learning how unblurred text looks when it is blurred and can provide maximum likelihoods with great accuracy. Even better, when the text previous to blurring was very structured and you can almost have a dictionary of the potential words in it.

This is actually not surprising. Most methods of blurring are very local and relatively tame mathematically speaking.

Gwynbleidd likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation