Pre - Alliances are Dumb

Discussion in 'OOC [Out of character]' started by Pander22, Oct 3, 2023.

1. Pander22

Pander22 Well-Known Member

There I said it,

I'm all for cooperation in things make no mistake and its really fun speaking to other factions, testing loyalties, seeing where the lore is setting up conflict then forming alliances as issues are raised.

But forming them before we even know what's going and before the campaign starts is dumb.

Obviously CB will ignore that when they publish the results if for example a nomad and yujing force hold an area the lore will reflect the winner, which to me makes it even weirder that folks are in these things

What's your opinion pro or against?

2. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

For me they are fine as they are based either on fluff based alliances or alliances based on previous campaigns, now if these will hold is another subject altogether.

Lady Numiria likes this.
  3. theGricks

theGricks Well-Known Member

At this point in time, the Online Campaigns have a long running player driven narrative of characters, people, and stories that are intertwined in a way that CB could not possibly encapsulate in their lore. There are entire events and narratives that were done by the players that never see a word in a lore book. There is the CB lore and narrative that is happening, and then the players, and this was realized back in Asteroid Blues and so during Asteroid Blues and since, the players just ran with it. Even between campaigns there is some lite hearted roleplaying and teasing between the factions and the usual faction leaderships.

As such even though a campaign is not announced, alliance are already formed. They do change now and then, but some (like Haqq-Nomads-Tohaa) have run for multiple campaigns and the players just expect it to happen. This is a symptom of the players themselves wanting to continue narratives and friendships. I dont see this as an issue, as the people who take part in the campaigns are actually a very small amount in the grand scheme of things, its a small community who recognizes how the campaigns work and looks forward to them every year.

This meme was made back in Asteroid Blues when the players decided to throw the CB narrative away and just forge their own:
    [​IMG]

4. archon

archon Well-Known Member

Sry I would not like to disturb the IC channel, but:
    You still have fax?! :sweat_smile:

Nice work non the less

5. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Do not underestimate the inertia of bureaucracy :P

6. theGricks

theGricks Well-Known Member

Even in the 41st Millenium, I am fairly sure...they fax.

Quiet Professional and Wizzy like this.
  7. Drunkergnom

Drunkergnom Well-Known Member

Fax? It still exists?

8. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Jokes aside, fax is a great solution, compared to mail, in some applications.
    • You do get - immediately - a confirmation whether it was received, or not received.
    With e-mail, the message might be delivered in seconds - or get lost en route. In some cases, you'll receive a message your mail couldn't be delivered... but sometimes this may come up to 48h after you've sent it.

Quiet Professional likes this.
  9. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Real actual time? Yes. Try to dismiss your telcom and you'll find out... We can go wireless ANYWHERE but if you want to disconnect your landline you need a fax-machine.
    And it's not even statal-related!

10. psychoticstorm

I can see that even if the FAX has been discontinued as a protocol, the bureaucracy to remove the reference from the documents has not reach the stamp level yet.

Alternatively, it may be a change of the use of the word to refer to a similar but modernized process.

or they are still a thing in the far future.

Errhile likes this.
  11. archon

archon Well-Known Member

200 yrs in the future - we have electronic fingerprints already, digi signatur etc

Fax is out, even on Dawn :smirk:

12. psychoticstorm

Never underestimate the power of bureaucracy and tradition.

Lady Numiria likes this.
  13. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Japan still uses fax in the 21st century.

Errhile likes this.
  14. Pander22

Pander22 Well-Known Member

we still have to support face in our workplace, because we have to send out 1 fax a year........

15. hortanium

hortanium Major Thomas Williams, USAriadna Marine Corps

I use it at work pretty often still…

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation