1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CB and their development cycle

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by AmPm, May 10, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

It's astonishing that you think this is an "explanation," let alone a "reasonable explanation."

I wasn't paying a lot of attention to the players asking for more comms from CB, but this response is a pretty big red flag that they're right. If CB (through its only representative who talks to players) thinks that saying the above means that they've explained something, then my God. They really need to hire someone who has the first clue about communication.

I mean, if you don't want to explain the Bulleteer change, then sure, don't explain it, whatever. But to repeatedly insist you have explained it, after such a blatant non-answer, just conveys an incredible contempt for the people you're speaking to.

Camo Token, Alphz, Hecaton and 3 others like this.
  2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I think the biggest issue with the Bulletteer will remain that no one seems to have flagged it as an issue, even when they were aware of it.

A small aside, Avatar's Remote Presence wasn't removed during N4. People just played it wrong because it used to have it during N3, and because it had a Pilot (Remote), so they assumed it was a data input error.

Time Bandit and PhDeezNutz like this.
  3. Angry Clown

Angry Clown Well-Known Member

man... after n4 i came here and asked many times why samekh was more expensive than vertigo zond. why stempler and daleth was in differnet costs. I reminded it a few times . people came and said this is how CB balanced the game. Then after a few years now they are equal in price finally.

I love Corvus Belli very much. I visited them even in their place in Vigo. Infinity is the only game i play. But frankly speaking they need to check these costs and possible mistakes more oftenly.

4. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Because anything less than 100% of what the loudest voices *say* they ‘want’ is not good enough. And, once again, it’s worth noticing that the general tone of the initial thread in response to the Bulleteer change, plus the turn this thread and others have taken, provide ample reason as to why CB keeps most of their thinking to themselves. Or gives the reasoning behind changes in venues with little space for constant complaint.

5. anubis

anubis sarcastic exaggerator

Not want to overdramatize that, but that does realy not sound very good, no matter how to turn it
    I think if they said that based on actual data or statistics or climate change it seems that now the units need to be changed it would still sound better than "oh, there was an oopsie that exists since 3 years straight".
    That said, I still play bulleteers and I does not feel like it is the end of the world.

Camo Token and burlesford like this.
  6. PhDeezNutz

PhDeezNutz Well-Known Member

Speaking as a customer, it is not a sufficient reason.

Can I ask what your role is here, on the forum? Sometimes it seems like you're involved in developing the game. Other times it seems like you're just the only active mod on the forums. Either way, you wade into every discussion to play devil's advocate or to tow the company line. Often times you're the only person providing semi-official explanations or justifications for whatever issue is being debated. Therefore, you act as the default spokesperson for CB on the forums. As a result you receive many derisive responses that come across as personal attacks, but are actually replies to what we perceive as "official" statements.

I think that's one more reason people are requesting a community liaison. We need someone who can respond in a more official capacity, without regard to their individual opinions, and without overlapping with their duties as a moderator.

#206 PhDeezNutz, May 25, 2023
    Last edited: May 25, 2023
    Camo Token, burlesford and Hecaton like this.
  7. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Aspects of "meta" are objective, and balancing based on those is just a good idea.

What kind of player finds a more balanced game a detriment?

Dragonstriker and Camo Token like this.
  8. Hecaton

Isn't that how CrazyKoalas work?

9. Hecaton

No, it does, you're just trying to change the definition of words to avoid losing an argument.

Camo Token likes this.
  10. Hecaton

Well, if Gutier is afraid of being criticized when he's wrong, that's more evidence he deserves to have his face rubbed in that criticism.

11. Hecaton

That's a gross misapprehension of his egotistical and small-minded behavior.

Camo Token likes this.
  12. Hecaton

If I agree with Alphz it must be really damn true lol

Camo Token likes this.
  13. Hecaton

It also leads me to believe that their data collection methods are *very* poor.

14. Hecaton

Yeah, this is the "scrub" mentality - if it can beat me it's broken, if it loses to me it's balanced, my army needs a buff.

Camo Token likes this.
  15. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Pretty sure you have that backwards; before N4, Avatar had G: Mnemonica, not G: Remote Presence. It had Remote Presence added accidentally during the N4 transition. There was a lot of excited celebration by CA players over this fact.

16. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

Thank you.

I couldn't find words to convey how this explanation isn't really an explanation.

17. Forthfaran

Forthfaran Well-Known Member

I will take this quote as stand-in for similar statements.
    To me, this is an explanation.
    Now you can be angry or irritated that it took CB several years to find it and you can assume (most likely rightfully so) that there are more errors that were not fixed for several years and you can mistrust the formula and CB. You want insights in the QA process, regular updates and/or blog entries about the backgrounds of balance changes.
    But it does not change the fact, that there was an error in the formula for this unit and it was fixed. That is the reasoning/explanation for this change.

And since the formula is considered business secret, they can not tell you more like „when we added points for X and Y, we forgot to add Z“.

To me it seems that a lot of anger/irritation does not stem from the explanation itself, but from the (partially assumed, partially factual) implications of that explanation.

18. PhDeezNutz

PhDeezNutz Well-Known Member

I think you are correct.

That explanation would have been perfectly acceptable, if some relevant aspect of the game had undergone a recent update. However, N4 is almost three years old at this point, and the fireteams update was over a year ago. It also would have been acceptable if it were communicated as a balance update, and properly justified. For example: "bulleteer was over represented in our data, compared to other PanO rems; this update is intended to increase diversity in list building." We don't need a full blog post, just a basic statement of intent, communicated in an official manner.

So without any further explanations we are left with the concerning implication that, best case scenario, no one bothered checking the points formula for at least a year.

#218 PhDeezNutz, May 25, 2023
    Last edited: May 25, 2023
  19. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Why from the myriad of possible scenarios that could have happened, you chose the one that would portray CB in the worse light?

I also find some of the behavior shown above, disappointing.

chromedog and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  20. Hecaton

No, there are ways to portray CB much worse.

He's being generous.

We find some of CB's behavior dissapointing as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation