1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deactivators, How Do They Work?

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Goonhammer, May 15, 2023.

1. Goonhammer

Goonhammer Not associated with Goonhammer.com in any way.

Specifically, what "equipment" is effected by deactivators? There's been some confusion in my local group with regard to the use of the word "equipment" in the effects section of Deactivator. I understand that it works on deployables like mines, koalas, deployable repeaters, etc. but things like hacking device, baggage, and albedo are also listed as "equipment" both in the wiki and on profiles in army.

Is this another case of not great grammar, and the important part of the effect is the "deployed to the game table..." line, and the lack of a comma between "equipment" and "deployable weapons"?

My apologies if this has been asked and resolved here already, I tried to find an answer in the FAQ and wasn't able to find anything, and I run events for my local group on a regular basis, so I'd like to have a concrete answer for when this inevitably comes up at a tournament.

2. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

They need to be DEPLOYABLE weapons or equipments.
    Mines, Koala, Panda, Parrots, MadTraps, Repeaters.

3. Goonhammer

Goonhammer Not associated with Goonhammer.com in any way.

That's what I figured, but I've recently had players ask for clarity, so I figured I'd ask the wider community for some confirmation.

Thanks for the quick response, it's much appreciated.

4. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

English and Commas sometimes generate weird things (even to native speakers, we foreigner are utterly lost!)

5. Scribbler

Scribbler Well-Known Member

I was doing a rules dive on deactivators a few weeks ago, and I second @tox's explanation as correct. Deactivators affect deployable equipment, but not equipment that is kept on the troop's person as part of their gear.

Goonhammer and chromedog like this.
  6. Wikkid Devil

Wikkid Devil Well-Known Member

Given the (wiki) text reads:

"This device is capable of deactivating traps and automated weapons deployed by the Enemy."

It is not explicitly *restricted* to traps and deployable weapons.

"Deactivator may be used only against Enemy Equipment and Deployable Weapons deployed on the game table, and never against Camouflage Markers."

Explicitly says equipment and deployable weapons (does not say deployable equipment).

Also states:

"Deactivator allows the user, by passing a Normal WIP Roll, to deactivate Enemy Equipment or Deployable Weapons (Mines, FastPandas, CrazyKoalas...) within LoF."

Again, specific about equipment (again does not say deployable equipment) or deployable weapons (provides an incomplete list of examples deployable weapons).

I would respectfully suggest anything with the equipment label is vulnerable to deactivation.

7. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

For me it's clear, that only deployed equipment is a legal target.

8. Wikkid Devil

Exactly, it says equipment and deployable weapons deployed, rather than equipment and weapons deployed. If it said deployable equipment and deployable weapons deployed, I would agree with you.

9. Jericho

Jericho Well-Known Member

I don't get it. Where is the difference?
    It does not matter.
    Either weapon or equimnet: If it is deployed, it can be the target for an deactivator.

Model is carying a mine: Can you deactivate it? No, becaus eit's not deployed.
    Model is carrying a repeater/deployable repeater. Can you deactivate it? No, because it's not deployed.

Model lays down the mine - now you can deactivate.
    Model lays down a deployable repeater - now you can deactivate.

10. Wikkid Devil

The difference is I have faced players (particularly in X-Wing) who are very tight on precise wording, even if the results are...odd...so I want to make sure I correctly understand the wording as written.

I got a clearer answer on messenger which summarises your point well. To target equipment like MSV for example, I would have to target the trooper, therefore not a valid target for the deactivator.

11. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

One of the requirements that must be met is :

Deactivator can only be used against Enemy Deployable Weapons and pieces of Equipment, that have deployed on the game table, and never against Camouflage Markers.​

Mines or Repeaters on troopers: safe
    Mines or Repeaters on table: valid targets
    The comma encapsulating "that have deployed on the game table" syntactically applies to the entire section prior to it, much like how the lack of a comma anywhere between weapons and equipment means that "enemy" and "deployable" apply to both weapons and equipment.

So I do say that Tox's assertion is entirely correct.

Valid targets are, in other words, for example: Deployed equipment like Deployable Repeaters, revealed weapons like AP Mines, or mission tokens with a target profile like F-13 turrets.
    Invalid targets are, in other words, for example: Anything being deployed, anything still concealed, equipment on a trooper and not the table, or mission scenery with a target profile like AC2s.

#11 Mahtamori, Aug 17, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2023
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation