1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Movement paths while using Jump

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Tom McTrouble, Mar 21, 2023.

1. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

So I've been trying to put together a cheat sheet for how close you need to be to an enemy model before a Jump would allow you to jump over them without clipping into their silhouette, and I'm confused on a few points.

So first effect from Jump:
    • Allows the user to move horizontally (to clear a gap), vertically (to reach a higher or lower surface), diagonally or tracing a parabola, up to his first MOV Attribute value in inches.
    This indicates to me that there's four acceptable paths of movement while jumping: straight horizontal line, straight vertical line, straight diagonal line, or parabola (which is by definition symmetrical).

So I think I get it and then I see the FAQ for measuring jump and climb:

[​IMG]

The easiest way for me to think about this is that effectively you are allowed to treat any point on a model's silhouette as the outside edge of the bottom of the base, and then measure your movement from there. My question is do you begin tracing the parabola from the actual model starting location (example 1) or from the start of your measurement (example 2). How does that interact with determining viable movement trajectories (mostly determining what your are clipping through)? Obviously if the correct answer is example 2, it allows you to be closer to the obstacle.

upload_2023-3-21_10-16-55.png

Attached Files:

2. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Simplification of the rule, as intended by CB Staff, is to remove the parabola and simply measure.
    In this way, this picture is the right way to measure a jump
    [​IMG]

Robock likes this.
  3. Tom McTrouble

Thanks, I guess I'm asking for clarification on the movement path of the model specifically as opposed to the measurement procedure. In the FAQ image, is the model moving straight up until the outside bottom of the base meets the start of the green arrow, then following the green arrow trajectory afterwards?

#3 Tom McTrouble, Mar 21, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
  4. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Do you have MOV 4? The green arrow is 4"
    [​IMG]

5. Tom McTrouble

I'll try this another way; I understand how the measurement works. I am asking if my model's actual movement through space in this scenario is represented accurately by A or B.

upload_2023-3-21_11-53-7.png

6. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Q: How are Jump and Climb movement measured?

A: When measuring Jump or Climb movement, you can measure from any point of the Trooper's Silhouette at the start of the movement, but you must measure to the base's outer edge and underside at the end of the movement. The Trooper can vault over obstacles (parapets etc.) that are equal to or lower than the height of their Silhouette as normal.

[​IMG]

Development team note: By gaining distance from the Silhouette and allowing the Trooper to ignore parapets (as long as they are equal to or lower than the Silhouette height), movement while Jumping or Climbing is facilitated. This makes these movements easier and gives extra value to Troopers with Super-Jump and Climbing Plus. As we can see in the image, the Jump path is the same even without the parapet.

7. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

it is almost A
    the 2nd question being :

So, in your case the base will immediately jump up, the base will follow the path, the base will vault up over the parapet. In A you have the silhouette phase thru the parapet instead of vaulting it.

Delta57Dash and Tom McTrouble like this.
  8. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

This question got solved here

bladerunner_35, Erbent and Jumara like this.
  9. Noir Kara

Noir Kara Member

As for jumping over enemy, only Aristeia! Star Gata does that as a super move that I doubt average troopers are trained in. (She probably gets arena help)

10. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

How could it ever be B???

You cannot vault a building in that way!

11. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

A is how the movement is measured, but not how the silhouette is placed, the silhouette is placed over the vaulted wall.

12. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

For real. Save yourself the trouble. All you'll find on the forums asking this question is personal attacks as if it is a grievous personal attack to read it different to their interpretation. Just take this to one of the friendlier international Discords of choice.

For what it's worth, it seems the sooth-seers several of on those Discords think that the un-written part of the FAQ is that the measured part of this vaulting movement is not allowed to go below/through a surface you are jumping to or from. This is not consistent with the regular vaulting rules, of course, but it's the best we've got. Mostly because there's a little bit of disquiet just how much extra movement you get from jumping now.

Tom McTrouble and QueensGambit like this.
  13. Tom McTrouble

Thank you, this is all I was looking for.

Robock and bladerunner_35 like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation