1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

khasiusstudio: Tuto crystals for CA bases

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Wizzy, Oct 22, 2022.

1. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

Here is an indexation of English-Spanish tutorial by khasiusstudio from Green Stuff World, the Spanish company that makes various accessories for model making, it's a little step by step to make bases with luminous crystals.

Check their youtube, it's full of tutorials, product presentation,... :
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/greenstuffworld

Copy of post: https://twitter.com/greenstuffworld/status/1366763435346788354

Crystal Base Color:
    Previously the crystal is fully printed/undercoated in white, once dry, add a coat of gloss varnish, then we mix the pigment with the medium in a 1:3 ratio, and apply it directly to the crystal as a wash (from the top down, mostly down to properly reflect that the light is at the top and thus it is whiter on the top).

Crystal reflections:
    In an effort to create an OSL effect. We mix the fluorinated color with the thinner, at a ratio of 1:5, important to be generous with the thinner and stir the fluorinated pigments well before using them in the airbrush, we aim with little pressure at the lower parts of the crystal to create the light effects that the crystal projects (the transparency obtained from the level of mixing must allow to see the old colors, so pay attention to the dilution and the pressure/duration of aero projection on the piece).

Light correction:
    If necessary, rework the top edges of the crystal to white.

If you want more ideas, there are also these tutorials (for fluorescence you need a torch/ultraviolet light, not recommended for blue eyes ^^) :

Fluorescent effect with pigments/paints

jherazob and Jumara like this.
  2. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

I saw this tutorial from greenstuffworld that would make an excellent complement and part 2, to this Step by Step. I have commented and expanded it following the author's other processes.

Links Green Stuff World
    https://www.instagram.com/greenstuffworld/
    https://www.greenstuffworld.com/fr/

PART 2: ALIEN BASES WITH CRYSTALS

[​IMG]
    By followtheblacksheep

* I use generic term in parentheses.

1. Base in Majin Pink (Magenta Pink).
    2. Glaze in Fluorescent Pink to give it some punch, this will serve as a background color for the cracks
    3. The crackled earth is a mixture of crackling product and paint Lolillop Magenta (Magenta-Purple) to put more or less abundantly according to the level of effect you want.
    4. With a mixture of Fluo Pink and Majin Pink paint the base layer of the crystals.

[​IMG]

5+6 glue the crystal and the alien grass clump.
    7. Using a quick drybrush, make the edges of the crystals white with glitter (diagonally to recreate the illusion of sunlight reflection).
    8. Then, by airbrush or brush, with Fluo Violet, by opposite effect you will use this darker color to create a shadow at less highlighted points to give the impression that the crystals create a general glow, here the glow does not reach the base of the tuft.
    Alternative: If you want to get even more luminous cracks, you can make them even brighter, by making a wash of diluted white and with the brush, you spread it in them. Once dry, if you find it too white, you can glaze it with Fluo Pink.

[​IMG]

Final :tada:
    [​IMG]

jherazob likes this.
  3. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

If you're gonna repaint them with opaque paints you might as well carve them yourself out of sprue or foam, no need to order anything :smile:

Wizzy likes this.
  4. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

A video if you want to try a mirror effect to complete this series.

Creative: how to make a base of crystals and survive while doing so?

redeemer and jherazob like this.
  5. Scribbler

Scribbler Well-Known Member

This is really cool. I just might have to figure out how to integrate these into some of my bases. Also, speaking from my studies in geology, it would be even cooler if they added different crystal systems (I tried to find out, but I can't read French, which the website is in). Based on what I'm seeing, I only see hexagonal systems, which would be great for minerals like quartz, calcite, apatite, and other minerals belonging to the hexagonal system. But I could see minerals like garnets dodecahedrons, amphibole needles, columns of tourmalines, even some monoclinic feldspars looking really good.

Wizzy likes this.
  6. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Greenstuff world is a Spanish company but their web store and various resources are translated in several languages (ok not always perfect but still) so don't hesitate to dig a bit and found a version for you.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation