1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post faq 1.3: Can hackers declare any ARO when they get an ARO from their hacking area?

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Tanan, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Jumara

Jumara Well-Known Member

Do I miss something here? Isn't a Hacking attack against the Missile Bot and the Guided attack just a FtF? so it is even better then dodging?

2. Rabble

Rabble Well-Known Member

The latest FAQ has changed the old "if you're withing ZoC of an enemy repeater / depoyable repeater then all the enemy HACKERS are within your Hacking Area" to the new "if you're withing ZoC of an enemy repeater / depoyable repeater then all the enemy TROOPERS are within your Hacking Area". So yes, that hacker is going to have a Hacking ARO whenever an opponet Trooper activates.

Mahtamori likes this.
  3. anubis

anubis sarcastic exaggerator

Edit: deleted, due to @Rabble explains it better

4. Rabble

Rabble Well-Known Member

With the new rules you could not hack attack back against the out of LoF and ZoC Missile Bot that is Guiding Attack you as her second order when you're a hacker. With @ijw interpretation of you can only declare Hacking Program or Reset if you have a available Hacking ARO out of LoF and withing ZoC. And with the added rules in the FAQ of:

You're just going to IDLE against the guided missile attack.

Methuselah likes this.
  5. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

There are many ways to solve the Tian Gou/Saladin/Camohacker ARO check problem. All of them have issues. The solution in faq 1.3 isn’t a bad one.

6. Rabble

Rabble Well-Known Member

Killer Hackers and Hackers can not do anything against at all against ANYTHING if the following is true:

a) Suck Killer Hacker or Hacker is within the ZoC of an enemy repeater
    b) The enemy activates a non- hacker trooper who can attack him while he is out of LoF and ZoC of such Killer Hacker, either because smoke and MSV sheannigans, or because Guided Missile Attack

This is because the following rule:
    Is lethal when combined with the following rule being interpreted as "you can only do this" instead of "you can of course ARO with this, including your other options, but beware of failing the requirements in step 5":

bladerunner_35 likes this.
  7. Jumara

Jumara Well-Known Member

Ok I missed the Repeater belonging to the Missile bot's player and beeing in ZoC of the Hacker and not the other way around.

8. anubis

anubis sarcastic exaggerator

Well, overall it seems to be not a good time for beeing a hacker, cause repeaters kill you. Take that, Jazz, up your high horse, over is your reign of terror :-D

9. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

I am one of the not particulary fond of this wording.
    But...
    Why don't you try to really exploit it in the next couple of weeks? I would really like to know how many hackers you will be able to kill in that way playing the rules as stated.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  10. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

The situations described are extremely situational and hard to set up, if at all.

I do agree that the wording of both FAQ entries combined is intriguing, maybe I am missing some interaction?

11. Rabble

Rabble Well-Known Member

No thanks, I am already lost many players in my local meta because of previous iterations of the rules causing ARO-baiting situations. Players don’t like to feel ‘gotcha’ by the rules around here. Thankfully this one is just more specific, require a little bit more of setup, and only affects hackers. But it is still a ‘you can not do anything, gotcha’ when successfully deployed.

I agree it is situational. But still, and following the quote of the RAI of Corvus Belli Development team elsewhere in the last FAQ:

The rules of Hacking ARO, what AROs you can only declare in Hacking ARO, and what happen to your Hacking Area when you’re inside a enemy repeater ZoC all together removes all the flexibility you have when declaring skills in ARO as a Hacker. Which goes against of the spirit and direction the Development Team seems to want to go for the game….

… and set up IDLEs ARO Baits which are cancer to any fun Infinity Game.

12. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Well, technically, you need to have an enemy hacker inside the range of your repeater network, and the hacker already be in targeted state (and not in LoF and not inside the hackers actual ZoC) for the guided munition Idle + Guided BS Attack to have the described effect.

Again I do wonder if there is something I am missing from the interaction.

13. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

You'll probably need to off the hacker first to set it up, so using it intentionally is probably going to be hard. Well, unless you've managed to Oblivion the hacker and you don't have a handy KHD around. Unintentionally is another story since AROing Spotlight is where the skill really shines and since we're encouraged to use Forward Observer remotes, not to mention that sooner or later someone will put their Targeted helperbot a bit too close to something or get clever with Targeting their opponent's mines or something...

14. Rabble

Rabble Well-Known Member

Take in account that there are currently three very common situations in the game now that happens a lot:

One of them: Pitcher Throw (or similar self-moving or deployable repeater) into Spotlight into Guided Missile Attack.

Another is: Smoke Throw into BS Attack with MSV1/2, or White Noise Zone into BS attack without MSV when applicable against MSVs.

And the third is: Reactively ARO Spotlight from repeater network in reactive turn, into Guided Missile Attack on the active turn.

These three are going to keep happening regardless of the latest FAQ rules interacting between them. The new FAQ is only making that once they happen, a unfortunate hacker who gets into these situations gets wrecked as he can only IDLE. We may agree that spotlighting/guiding missile is order intensive... but smoke throwing into BS attack is?

Just in case it has not been clear with my previous posts. With the rules as they're now, I can place a repeater next to your hacker without nothing the hacker can do because the repeater placement is done in resolution step, or because the repeater is unhackeable by the hacker. Then I can place smoke in a good place for my MSV shooter to start picking up targets, without the hacker being unable to do anything. And then I can move into the smoke and shoot the hacker without him being unable to neither shoot me back with a -6, neither dodge, as he can only IDLE because the enemy active shooter has provoked him a Hacking ARO, as all the enemy troopers are now inside the Hacking Area while you're inside the ZoC of an enemy repeater, and therefore he can only either Reset or Hack Program... but because the enemy active shooter is not a hacker it will fail automatically even the hacking program, as the new rule say. So the hacker is a sitting duck, just waiting to die. This is exactly one more order than a regular Smoke into BS Attack, and for some armies will be the same amount of orders as they will be able to throw smoke at the same time that they move a repeater close to the enemy hacker... or use a coordinate order to do so for all the armies.

Time Bandit likes this.
  15. Rabble

Rabble Well-Known Member

Ah, another absolutely bollocks situation. Throw pitcher into fireteam with 1+ hackers, then shoot them from the back with a non-hacker shooter. They can not shoot back even if sixth sense… because the non hacker shooter is inside their hacking area, but out of LoF and ZoC, so they can only declare Hacking Program, which fail because active shooter is a non-hacker and it will turn into IDLE, or reset, which the active shooter doesn’t care at all. So they’re IDLE, and you’re nullifying the Sixth sense skill of a fireteam, allowing to kill hackers inside Fireteam apart without any retaliation for any parachutists.or combat jump trooper just for the price of a pitcher and finding the blind spot of the hackers involved.

It was really the intention of the Development Team to make Sixth Sense be nulled thanks to a pitcher/repeater?

Tristan228 likes this.
  16. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

Awww, yes... I forgot about the entire order caveat :sweat_smile:

I guess that comes from not using GLs for two-ish years.

17. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

But they’re not being Atracked through their Hacking Zone, so they’re fine to Declare whatever they need.

18. Rabble

Rabble Well-Known Member

Please read my previous posts where I quote the new rules of the FAQ that make a hacker to have a Hacking ARO when they’re inside the ZoC of a enemy repeater whenever an enemy trooper is activated, but if that enemy trooper is out of LoF and out of ZoC of the hacker the only ARO the hacker may declare, per @ijw interpretation of the rule, is either Hacking Program or Reset. So they can not declare whatever they needed. I have already repeated and quoted it several times the relevant rulings and excerpts, and do not want to bloat more this thread with copies of such texts.

19. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

No, the rules say “can” not, “must”. And IJW’s note was in specific response to “can they Declare an Invalid ARO?”, not, “can they declare any Valid ARO that they meet the requirements for”.

bladerunner_35 and chromedog like this.
  20. Qwerinaga

Qwerinaga Active Member

Q: Post faq 1.3: Can hackers declare any ARO when they get an ARO from their hacking area or just hacking programs/reset?
    A:
    I don't see anything about valid/invalid AROs.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation