1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it too late to save the Morats?

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by Urist, Nov 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Urist

Urist Well-Known Member

From their awful color scheme, that is. When I saw it on the army box I wanted to give it a chance, it wasn't that bad, it looked fine on some units like Anyat, but this newest box reveal has cemented it. It's an ugly, ugly color scheme to be the standard. They look like McDonald's toys. They look like the brightly colored aliens that an 80s-90s cartoon character would fight. They don't look like an intimidating alien army, they look like extras on a super hero movie meant to sell toys. The yellow looks bad.

And it's not like Morats have bad official color schemes, it's just ones on the new box photos that are bad. You can check Third Offensive and Raveneye, they have great ones like Tarlok Hunting, White Dust, a blue one in the TO book, and the old Dark Supremacy. Even in Raveneye the tutorial for painting Morats does it in the White Dust color scheme and not the standard like the other factions in the book. It's like they know they yellow accent looks really tacky.

Is it too late to fix the box art? They aren't ugly models under the paint. I know the old N2 Zerats got repainted from green to black in N3 once upon a time. This is a stupid rant, I know, but it's been bothering me for a bit and seeing the Happy Meal toy colored Rindak put me in a complaining mood.

Savnock, burlesford, Metal730 and 3 others like this.
  2. infyrana

infyrana Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about the new colourful Morat models shown in the other thread for December 2022 releases. I think they are way too colourful for sure. Just think if you were to ask someone to paint your models and said - "I want really big mean ape aliens in bulky armour with big guns and swords, but I want you to colour them in Red, Yellow, Green with a Blue tint all over the armour on a turquoise floor base." - they'd probably wonder what you're on. The Zerat focuses less on the yellow which tones it down a bit at least.

They are also quite busy and I'm still not a fan of the leaning forward vaulting from the rock (talk about twist your ankle if you were running forward and stepped on that thing). But just because they are busy, didn't mean they needed to colour them in every colour.

burlesford, chaos11 and Jumara like this.
  3. Urist

Urist Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's not like they are bad models, I have seen some painted in the old black and red color scheme at local tournaments and they looked really good. They are very different than my old morats, but I do like most of the new models. It's just the new main color scheme looks goofy.

Savnock, burlesford and Jumara like this.
  4. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

I'm all for colorful, but this ketchup and french fries color combo is really gnarly.

Stiopa and Jumara like this.
  5. Fed4ykin

Fed4ykin Well-Known Member

Always remember: it's your little toy soilders paint them whatever you want.
    So marshmellow pink morat boxart when?

LeGweg, DaRedOne, Alfy and 1 other person like this.
  6. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

The blue OG Morat color scheme is still the best. :heart_eyes:

I think the thing is they were trying to get a color scheme related to the black/red Combined color scheme, and tried “let’s add yellow”. Have you thought about replacing the yellow with gold/bronze or tan? It’d be similar but not quite as close to the fast food franchise colors…

Rumdog and Savnock like this.
  7. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Totally agree. The yellow looks terrible. They could have stayed with red and black and just add the olive to differentiate them from Shasvastii and Onyx. I second the notion that most of the new models would look less bad were they painted in a less cartoonish color scheme.

8. Lesh'

Lesh' Infinity LATVIA
    Warcor

I really don't care about official color scheme as luckily in this game there's no gatekeeping if you paint your army in different colours, what I dislike is the new MAF models - rindak, taryot, bulltrak... they just look really weird/off-putting

9. Savnock

Savnock Nerfherder

Anyone know who’s sculpting the Morat line now?

10. Rabble

Rabble Well-Known Member

I just want to say that I just love the look of the Bultrak, and was the reason I started collecting Morats along the new Dartok which I just FREAKING LOVE...

Same reason as the Bluecoat in the Starmada Box got me into starting collecting Infinity :ok_hand:

11. Cthulhu363

Cthulhu363 May his passage cleanse the world.

Agreed, though i did switch out the gun barrel with the Autocannon from a Chaksa Longarms.

12. KedzioR_vo

KedzioR_vo Well-Known Member
    Warcor

- Is it too late to save the Morats?
    - The new ones? Definitely yes. They're fugly. As a big fan of N2 and N3 Morats I just can not look at the new ones, they're hideous.
    But about the color scheme - I think it fits.
    Perfectly.
    They are ugly and their color scheme underlines it beautifly. Great combination. Umberto Eco would be proud and would put them in his great book History Of Ugliness.

PozdRawiam / Greetings

13. Urist

Urist Well-Known Member

I am painting my Morats how I want, mostly just whinging on art and shelf appearance. It's what we are gonna see in the art and books for the known future, and it's just a lame scheme. Like if in the upcoming MO reboxing they do Hospitallers in highlighter yellow and orange like a safety vest. Yes you could paint your own knights blue like other PanO units, but it's gonna look weird in official box art and photographs.

It's really not a big deal, I just felt like complaining.

14. infyrana

Of course, I totally agree people should paint them how they want.

But that does not help the case for someone like myself who only has the box art / website images to go by. Sure, if we are lucky we may see one of the many wonderful painters on here post one up with a different paint job to view. But right now, that hasn't happened with most of them, let alone the pre-order models.

I eagerly await :)

15. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Did a quick photojob test to see how the Action Pack would look without yellow. I would actually paint this scheme:

[​IMG]

smokingmonkee, LeGweg, m2cat and 14 others like this.
  16. Cthulhu363

Cthulhu363 May his passage cleanse the world.

That is actually a big improvement.

17. Urist

Urist Well-Known Member

See, those look really nice.

18. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Huge improvement. Some olive drab areas seem to blend together a bit, but this could be solved by using a slightly off shade of the same color or pushing contrast more. I'd definitely crank up the contrast on the hair a bit higher, they're in a very similar spot as the olive drab. But it's a great mock up, really not sure what the artist was thinking about with that yellow.

19. infyrana

Wonderful mock up! Are you able to do the other packs as well at all please? This would be extremely helpful thank you:)

burlesford likes this.
  20. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

Epic troll post.
    Well done.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation