1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lareon's workshop - a tale of messes and procrastination

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Lareon, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Lareon

Lareon Well-Known well-knower

Once upon a time there was a guy, who loved brushes and acrylic colors...

...and here I am, to bother the entire community with my questionable choices and my worst works! Yay!

What's this thread about? I decided to open a little p-log to share my thoughts and my WIPs, in order to keep me motivated, and keep trace of my improvement on a hobby I always loved, but I never had enough courage to share. I just overcame a "crisis" period in which I dropped the brush for few months, and I think writing about it could help me keep the momentum going. It will be a free-flow about my thoughts and my tries, with some photos of my progresses.

Fist, a few reference photos. When I started Infinity, back in 2015/2016, I was pretty much improvising, so the results were.. well, not really good. I painted in the past (mainly warhammer fantasy) so I already had few basics on the hobby:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, my most recent works.

First, my Ramah Taskforce, started a couple years ago, with some improvements on the technique, but still far from being satisfied. I should try to improve a bit the scheme on the models I have yet to paint, but the current ones will stay painted as they are

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 Lareon, Oct 4, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    Oni, Goonhammer, Jumara and 4 others like this.
  2. Lareon

So, now the more recent things.

I'm working on a huge number of projects, totally randomly and without a specific effort, deadline, or simply a schedule. I should be more focused on what I'm doing, but as for now I'm joyfully hopping from one army to another, lol.

Project N.1 - ISS
    An old reliable, I wanted to give a new look to my Imperial Secret Service guys. I was not satisfied on the old theme, for both low techniques and color used. So I dropped the previous white/blue/yellow theme for something new, while having the chance to do some comparison from my old works to the new one.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I spent a lot of time thinking of a good and original color theme, and finally I found myself really satisfied with this balance. The yellow/greenish tint complements quite well with the reddish/pink clothes, using more neutral colors for the rest of the unit.

I had the chance for a quick comparison of my technique, and.. well, this is the first time I'm quite happy of how everything is turning out:
    [​IMG]

(yeah, the Wu Ming is the same in the spoiler, but after the "metallic" test I tuned down the light to give him a more opaque look)

#2 Lareon, Oct 4, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    Oni, Goonhammer, Wizzy and 2 others like this.
  3. Lareon

Project N.2 - Hassassin

This second project is still heavily WIP. I decided I don't want to use the same Haqq theme (blue/orange) I used, but without diverging too much from it. I wanted to give my HB a unique look, but at the moment I'm struggling to find a pleasing color theme.

I did a first try using similar colors but different balance: black armor, with a heavily desaturated orange as secondary, and a more vibrant blue for a contrast on the accessories. But I'm not really satisfied with this solution, so I'm still looking for a nice alternative.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BEHOLD, ASSES!

#3 Lareon, Oct 4, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  4. Lareon

Finally, my third project, Steel Phalanx.
    It's a thing I started developing as a side-project, while building miniatures in Blackwind. The new units are so lovely it would be a sin not to paint them, and I decided to use few SP units for my future demos.

For this theme... I struggled a lot. I first tried a Black/Bronze/Green scheme, but it turned out not really interesting, and really unbalanced and boring to look

[​IMG]

Now.. This unit was done while in a "painting crisis", in which I was not very motivated and when it turned out so unsatisfying I basically stopped for a time.

Until yesterday, when I had a blast.
    I wanted to try a different approach, and without thinking the scheme "on paper" I decided to just paint. I took a color that I liked, painted few strokes, than decided the balance I found more pleasing. And applying another color that I thought it could be fine with it. Without realizing it, I found myself in a three-hour session, with a color scheme quite interesting, albeit to fix it a bit:

[​IMG]

I quite like it, so I'm thinking about keeping it as my official color scheme for SP. Need to balance a bit the white, though, but overall I'm happy with it

#4 Lareon, Oct 4, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    Oni, zapp, ZlaKhon and 4 others like this.
  5. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Some of the images don't work, i'd strongly recommend against linking to either Google or Facebook sites, they break things up, better put them on Imgur or another such image hosting site

6. Lareon

Oh, thank you for noticing me. I fixed all the links moving the images on imgur, so they should be visible now

ZlaKhon and jherazob like this.
  7. Lareon

Ok, so a little update. The crisis continued for quite a few time, and I was being able to leave (I hope) only recently. I decided to lay the basis for another side-project, this time dedicated to Varuna, and trying to complete a miniature without thinking too much. Broad strokes, no much attention for the details, my only objective was too lay out a color scheme that appealed me, and trying to finish a unit before freezing again.

This is the result:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I feel refreshed. The paint job is sloppy, but I'm happy to see the completion of the first miniature since May. Now that I feel the will to do some other units, I think I'm able to speed up the pace of my work. Yay!

Oni, Uthoroc, bladerunner_35 and 4 others like this.
  8. Kaek

Kaek Active Member

I really like the scheme. Not too far from the "official" but still different

Lareon likes this.
  9. Lareon

Hi there! In the last month I finally gained some rythm, and worked a bit on ISS, for some tournaments in the following months.

upload_2023-2-13_22-24-42.png

And my current wip:
    upload_2023-2-13_22-25-21.png

#9 Lareon, Feb 13, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
    Oni, Koin-Koin, RolandTHTG and 3 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation