1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colours and painting for infinity city board?

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by KGG, Sep 26, 2022.

1. KGG

KGG Well-Known Member

I’ve been slowly building a modular city board and building set, with some built and bought scatter terrain over a few years.

I’ve almost finished building it, few rough edges, but have no clue on colours or painting. I’d like something simple, not too expensive to paint, but coherent and not too distracting when playing. (I have an airbrush)

What opinions, suggestions, example images do you have for painting an infinity city board, and what are the things to watch out for?

Images of a few of the buildings and panels below:
    C96716A9-9D8B-48A7-8F0E-3C0CAD07083B.jpeg D742E14A-0B1E-462C-AB93-91A2E61A2E07.jpeg C23BFE46-DAA9-4673-B5FE-10C8E5B0ECD4.jpeg

2. Mcgreag

Mcgreag Well-Known Member

My suggestion would be to find a city scene in a movie or game you like and use that as inspiration. My own dark grey military base was mainly inspired from the opening scene of the movie The Rock for example so it doesn't even have to be sci-fi.

KGG likes this.
  3. KGG

KGG Well-Known Member

Nice idea. I’m maybe leaning toward Xandar from Guardians of the Galaxy, or anywhere in Mass Effect, for a ‘clean, utopia’ look. Hard to find daytime cyberpunk scenes that aren’t still dark, but that might be an option too for something more ‘used’

4. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

For scenery you can use masking to do some mass processing on specific areas.
    You can also use permanent acrylic markers to do weathering. Pigments can also be used to do quick shading or smudging.

Otherwise in infinity scenery tutorials, I have this, maybe it could be helpful for ideas:
    Warsenal
    https://warsen.al/pages/tutorials
    Tom Shaddle
    http://tomschadleminiatures.blogspot.com/2015/11/warsenal-ord-buhkrep.html
    Tabletop artist

Brutal Cities
    https://brutalcities.com/blogs/tabl...argaming-terrain-tutorial-without-an-airbrush

KGG likes this.
  5. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Brutal Cities (IIRC) mentioned that with airbrush you can do concrete by thinning paint a lot, so it creates a texture. Basically use "oops, something went wrong" as intentional helper.

There is also the sponge method for general colors, and old toothbrush splatter for some fine random dots.

For daytime and "happier", search for solarpunk instead of cyberpunk images. The idea leans optimistic and thus goes with brighter, lighter, even greener, palette.

KGG and Wizzy like this.
  6. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Another technique i've seen used to give texture to MDF stuff is texture pastes

As usual you can go with the commercial stuff (Vallejo or whatever) or just make it yourself mixing paint, fine sand and either PVA or acrylic medium (this also works for basing, don't pay for the overpriced GW pots).
    Also regarding pigments, i gotta gotta share this video on how to cheaply make them yourself :laughing:

KGG, Mob of Blondes and Wizzy like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation