1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who uses Deactivators?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Cannon Fodder, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

I'm actually curious if anyone uses these over just shooting the deployable.

I was reading a thread about the Azrail being less playable for multiple reasons including Deployable Repeaters. Which made me review the deactivator on the Rafiq FTO (QK), but after double checking it, I realized that it's easier to just shoot them. Are they actually usable to the point were you would actively chose a model because of it.

I would actually change the rules for it, so it's similar to an intuitive attack with a large template, But you can shoot through friendly models and walls.

2. KGG

KGG Well-Known Member

I don’t really get it either. Can it be used to F2F BS-attack at a +6?

Does it only work on deployables, or anything with the equipment label (hacking devices, tinbots, motorcycles, medikit)?

3. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

It's usually better than shooting if the Deployable is in cover (as deactivator ignores cover) particularly so if it's a mine (as deactivator ignores mimetism)

I did the math before with a BS12, WIP13 trooper before. This is all assuming the shots are in good range and that the trooper has a combi rifle.

Versus Repeater in Cover
    Deactivator unless 5 man link
    This was calculated before fireteam reword, so it assumes +3BS, +1B, so it should probably real "unless 5 man pure link"

Versus Repeater out of Cover
    Always Combi

Versus Mine in Cover
    Always Deactivator

Versus Mine out of Cover
    Deactivator unless 3 man link

4. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

It works only agaisnt Deployable weapons and equimpents, like CrazyKoala, FastPanda, MadTraps, Mines and so on

KGG and Abrilete like this.
  5. Diphoration

Warcor

The biggest issue with the design of deactivator is that the 0-8 rangeband is pretty much useless.

You'll get the Mine or Perimeter triggered and you'll get hacked in the repeaters.

If it allowed it to count as a way to avoid the Mine or the Perimeter, it would be an excellent equipment. Now it's just a marginally better shot that is sometimes better than a combi at clearing deployables.

6. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

I used it once with my Meteor Zond on a repeater and just because I explicitly didn't want to use the Combi Rifle.

I'd just add a no-LOF ZOC component to the Deactivator

csjarrat likes this.
  7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I disagree that the 0-8" range band is a design issue - this is more a perception issue where people over-focus on mines and perimeter weapons.

I think the bigger issue is how people try to avoid placing their stuff where they can be shot before they do their job. So until people start being mindful of that and placing their Repeaters so their opponents have an opportunity to shoot them - I'd say the LOF requirement of Deactivators is the bigger issue.
    Failing that, a higher burst to make removing several at a time or making it more certain to remove singular ones would be a small step forward.

Plus, you know, how e.g. Pitchers have a much more generous range band.

Savnock likes this.
  8. Diphoration

Warcor

Over-focus on Mines and Perimeter? Deployables is literally Mines, Perimeter and Repeaters. It's hard not to "over-focus" on literally what it targets, lol.

Repeaters also have a 8" zone where if you were to go in and try do deactivate them, you'd get hosed.

9. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

As far as I'm concerned Deactivators should be able to cancel Perimeter/Mines going off to be really useful rather than borderline obsolete.

Deactivator going the way of the Dodo in exchange for Sniffers coming back is a trade I'd make any time. That's some equiment that saw actual use.

csjarrat, Savnock, chromedog and 4 others like this.
  10. Diphoration

Warcor

They were at least relevant in N3 when it stole the deployable rather than destroying it. There actually was incentive to use it then and it made for some very cool plays.

11. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

The most common question asked when it comes to perimeter is "why does it have a +6 rangeband when the mine will blow up if you try to use it?" so yes, there is an over-focus to the point where a lot of people do not even consider that you can also use this range band with your e.g. Machinist against Repeaters, dismounted Motorcycle Markers, Dazers, and Cybermines.

Yes, the list is short, but it's better than not having a +6 rangeband, no? Does an LI/MI really get "hosed" by being in Targeted state when the option is to not do anything about the Repeater at all?

You're thinking about Minesweeper. That's a different device. And it was pretty much fubar to work with as it required you to bring your slow arse Mulebot close enough to trigger the device. Plus, the high value target of Minesweeper are now "light infantry" - namely AI Beacons

But you're kinda right. If Deactivator flipped side of the device I think you'd see them used a lot more.
    (Sorry for large amount of edits.)

12. Muad'dib

Muad'dib Well-Known Member

I think they should work like jammers where you can use them in ZoC without requiring line of sight and with no mods of any kind. I would then either have them flip ownership or enable a face to face to neutralize a DTW or hacking attack that comes through a targeted repeater.

If you want to make it really interesting, split helper bots into doctor and engineer variants, and give the engi bot a deactivator. It's odd that infinity doesn't have a mine disposal robot (I'm ignoring the extremely slow and bulky minesweeper bots of editions past)

Quiet Professional and Hecaton like this.
  13. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Servant remotes dispose of mines all the time. Just, you know, by running into the aoe.

Quiet Professional likes this.
  14. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

If I know I'm dealing with someone who spams mines and CrazyK, I reach for Holoprojectors. But that doesn't help with repeaters.

15. Hecaton

No, it doesn't, we need better solutions for that. Null defense with repeaters (including Morans) is too good. Remember, Gutier wanted camo repeaters at N4 start? There don't seem to be good ideas coming for this gameplay element.

Savnock likes this.
  16. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I think the good thing about Deactivator is that it goes automatically to destroyed. No save. It's too bad you can no longer change them to your side lol. A couple weeks ago I shot a mine three different times and it kept making it's ARM save! Finally I just ran at it and dodged with a Shaolin. But that was stupid luck.

17. Hecaton

I know with doc worm it's statistically better to use a Deactivator on a discovered mine within 8-16" than his combi.

18. anubis

anubis sarcastic exaggerator

this quote made me laugh way too hard :-D

A couple weak ago I double checked the wiki, if maybe I was remembering it wrong and the deactivater could disable any kind of (comms) equiptment, like repeaters on drones, or at least equiptment that is deployed (like bikes from dismounted units)
    But no, the one and only purpose of deactivaters is: deactivate already placed deployable equiptment that is already discovered. And u need line of sight. And u do it best in 0-8 inches, aka trigger area of exactly the equiptment i dont want to be triggered.

Imho the Deactivater is the most useless tool in this game at its current state. Giving it more targets, like repeater on units, comms equiptment a unit carries, dismounted vehicles (maybe to force the pilot to reset for re-mounting bikes/TAGs).... Still, a niche weapon, but more useful (and fun) to play with

#18 anubis, Aug 2, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    Chaserabinov and Tristan228 like this.
  19. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

The most common positional devices are mines and Deactivator skill is useless because you need to succeed in two rolls. A short skill to discover the mine (1 die with all mods) and a second short skill to disable it (1 die with dist mods), it's better shot it with a combi... or send a 3pts remote to deactivate one or more device at once :laughing:

20. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

Just adding a line in the rules about using the Engineer's Deactivator remotely through the assigned ServantBot would have the same effect without adding yet another profile. :hugging_face:

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation