1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CodeOne PanO player from germany

Discussion in 'New Users' started by HK47, Jun 22, 2022.

1. HK47

HK47 Member

Hello gals and guys,

I’ve been interested in the game for many years and have been reading in the forums as well. But I just recently took the plunge by sharing the Kaldstrom box with a friend of mine. Since I've got a family, I can only invest my time sparingly. And my friend, who hasn’t known Infinity before, indicated that the CodeOne rules are still a lot to take in. So I’ll probably spend the foreseeable future only with a limited selection of troops and with CodeOne (even though I’m fantasicing about several armies that are N4 only…:sweat_smile:).

My first question for you concerns our matchup and I hope it’s okay to post this here. I decided to take PanO, while my friend plays Yu Jing. I’ve won ~20% of our games and you can imagine that I’m somewhat frustrated. :grimacing:
    I’ve tried to analyze every one of our games and units. I know Infinity is famous for it’s great balancing. But I cannot shake the impression that within our unit selection, Yu Jing is quite superior. They have an abundance of Mimetism -3, Camouflage+Surprise Shot and even MSVs. I have a single MSV on a short-range Nokk profile and twice Mimetism, albeit -6.
    Several times when he got the first turn he murdered quite a bit of my army. So I’ve developed a habit of deploying mostly in full cover. He does the opposite, so I’m always facing like 4 AROs. Seems like his approach is way smarter and I need to play more aggressively. Do you think that’s the key?

So far we’ve got Operation Kaldstrom + Beyond Kaldstrom (but I somehow got a 2nd Varg instead of a Boyg) + the bonus Line Troopers from the Painting Set.

Anyway hello again and I'm thrilled to actually have an account now to talk to you for real. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

burlesford and Gwynbleidd like this.
  2. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

PanO does not lack long range MSV units - they just aren't available in that set.
    You could try proxying one of the Vargs as a "Aquila guard" (available in PanOceania main faction) and give him an HMG.
    (MSV-3, range and BS15 will help). They don't have any mimetism, but they ignore all of the mimetism mods as well as surprise shot, see through smoke like msv-2, and discover any camouflage markers without much trouble,too.

Gwynbleidd and QueensGambit like this.
  3. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

Pano wants its opponent to deploy lots of AROs - that's just lots of units for you to gun down easily with your superior firepower. Remember, you can slice the pie to fight them one at a time. Just take them one by one until they're all dead.

As @chromedog says, the Aquila HMG would be a good choice for this.

Gwynbleidd likes this.
  4. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Welcome to the community! Feel free to drop me a PM if you happen to be located in or near NRW :)

If you got two Vargars in your BY:Kaldstrom Box due to a mispack, you can contact CB support and request a replacement, which usually works without hassle. Check out this page for all the info: https://store.corvusbelli.com/mispack.

I suspect your issue lies within the granularity gap between CodeOne and Infinity. CodeOne was designed as an introductory ruleset, so many unit and equipment rules have been omitted to ease people into the rather convoluted base game. E.G. Vargars have Albedo in the vanilla game, which counteracts MSV troopers to a large extent, enabling you to just walk past MSV AROs and avoid them entirely. Generally, PanO is stronger that YJ in most direct encounters, you just need to make sure to force the right ones.

Once you have a solid understanding of CodeOne, you should probably transition into the full game asap. Many units aren't working in their intended way in CodeOne, which can lead to frustration and bad priming for later attempts at getting into the full game. This is true for all factions, so your opponent will be able to leverage more facets of YJ as well. You could start by checking infinity Army and read the full unit entries for each of your units, exploring their skills one at a time in the Wiki.

The full game also opens up more strategies in terms of defending against alpha strikes and interacting with your opponent's order pool. As you have experienced, getting the first turn can be a huge advantage if you manage to get the right angles on your opponent. Deploying in full cover is not unusual even in the full game, because there are very few hard ARO units in the entire game that won't be disadvantaged against the right tool an opponent has brought. You can also strip two orders from your opponent's first turn, and you get the option to put a unit into Suppressive Fire from the start of the game, which can be crazy good on a unit like your Locust. Between Mim-6, cover and Suppressive Fire this will put your opponent at -12 for their roll, which is the maximum malus one can receive. Even if they use an MSV unit like the Ye Mao, they will still be at -9.

All of this is of course mitigated by terrain and table density, so make sure to not play on planet bowling ball. Varied terrain is essential for Infinity to work properly (and it helps with immersion, too). In the Kaldstrom setup, long range camo pieces like the Hundun Sniper can dominate entire tables if they have a strong vantage point. Make sure not to put high buildings into deployment zones and restrict long fire lanes with clutter and LOF breakers or saturation zones like trees or fences. This is a collaborative effort and your opponent might object at first, but they will come to accept it very quickly once you get a hold of a long range PanO gunfighter like a Nisse, Aquila Guard, Swiss Guard or Karhu ;)

Having a good terrain density in the midfield also enables skirmishers to a greater extent. You mentioned your Nokken being too short range to leverage their MSV, which makes sense if there is no terrain to keep it obstructed. If they can dip in and out of cover (using cautious movement) to close the distance, that BSG with Mim-6 will wreak havoc amongst the opponents Daofei and Guilang.

For now, as the others have mentioned already, it would be easiest to proxy one of your miniatures as an Aquila Guard. This guy will handily beat any ARO left in the open by YJ, even Camo/Mimetism ones. If you have the money to spare, you can also find offers in DE for the single blister, even though it has been repackaged into the PanO Booster officially now. It happens to be a great sculpt, so it's worth consideration.

#4 Knauf, Jun 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    Gwynbleidd likes this.
  5. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

Welcome fellow Panoceanian! The comments above from @chromedog, @QueensGambit and @Knauf will serve you well. It’s a lot of sound advice. The transition from code one to Infinity proper can be long due to the plethora of rules inherent in the full game. As has been noted, certain things that would have mitigated the problems you’ve faced are not in Code One but remove those issues in the full game.

If you’re looking for super shooty, negate cover units I can only recommend you to the arms of neoterra and it’s Bolts as well as it’s much vaunted. (And loved by myself as well as many others) Aquila guard. Svalarheima though (for which you have the minis, though proxying is allowed and indeed encouraged) has excellent three man teams and one of the toughest tags in the game.

Terrain is another key factor certainly. Good terrain density with cover as well as lines of fire make for an engaging game.

I cannot really add much to this conversation, any advice I would give has been given quite handily by the various posts above.

I hope you enjoy your games of infinity, be they code one or otherwise! If you have any questions at all, the community is here to answer them.

6. Fed4ykin

Fed4ykin Well-Known Member

Where in germany are you living? If you are somewhere near or even in Berlin i will be Mode than happy to Play with you or just give advise from the sidelines if needed/wanted.

An Additional thought. It is advisable to Start with smaller games and concentrate on the foundation of the game and then add rule after rule. So you are not overwelmed by the Information and input.

7. Sven F.

Sven F. Dismember

8. HK47

HK47 Member

Thank you for the warm welcome and all of your thorough advice! I'll comment on some of them.

So far we've not proxied apart from weapon loadouts. But it's a good idea to expand our choices on both sides and may also help to decide what to buy later. :)

I will certainly try that more often. Last game I split burst between 2 Zhanshis and the ORC in cover tanked the other (unopposed) shots well enough. Most of the AROs are not super deadly anyways. I was just unlucky and didn't kill anything in 4 orders, due to lucky ARM roles by Yu Jing.

I somehow postponed this for a long time and wouldn't mind keeping the Varg. But maybe they now have a spare Boyg lying around and they seem pretty cool (though I noticed they are usually not that popular :grin:)

Okay, you're making some good points there (which I left out for brevity XD). I should discuss this with my friend and move in that direction. Since we don't have too many different units, the amount of new rules should also be limited then.

God do I agree with you... we were "trying out something different from the rulebook" once or twice and that firetrucking Hundun ate my whole army. I definitely need a long range unit, if only to convince my opponent that this must not be repeated, as you indicated. :grin:
    I think the Alpha and Beta packs for CodeOne actually offer a nice selection of new tools and rules for a good price.

burlesford and Knauf like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation