1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20x20 Version N4

Discussion in 'News' started by prophet of doom, Jun 5, 2022.

1. prophet of doom

prophet of doom Well-Known Member

I just got deep into writing an updated version of 20x20.

I didn't do it for a long time because I thought the ITS missions are good enough now, and most people I play with are super competitive and only interested in competitive play anyway.

However, playing 20x20 missions again and reading the disappointing missions in the Raveneye book, renewed my interest.

There will be a few new missions as the focus will be more on narrative play.

I got rid of the idea of having a set of secondary missions. Its not very fluffy and the secondary mission just overcomplicates matters.

Instead, the second D20 roll will be for variables that change the scenario. This will include simple things such as an extended Deployment Zone up to complications such as fighting during a blizzard. The second roll also serves to encourage the use of difficult terrain rules. The effects will vary depending on which planet the game is played on.

Which ones are your favourite 20x20 Primary missions that you would want to see again? Which ones do you find boring or even annoying and want to get rid off?

Tcional, Rumdog, smog and 16 others like this.
  2. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

Only had a dabble with 20*20 a looong time ago but enjoyed it. Glad to see the project revamped. ITS needs the competition

bladerunner_35 likes this.
  3. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say that the secondary mission system was still much better than the 1 or 2 classified objective that ITS make you draw at the start of the game.

prophet of doom likes this.
  4. Blakhart

Blakhart Well-Known Member

I have ever version of 20x20, from the first 3rd ed version to the Code One version and even Commandos. Super excited for a N4 version. I like the sound of the change for the 2ndary rolls. I will admit, we either forget them or just didn't roll for them. I like the idea of a more enviromental change.
    I do like asymetric missions too, or rather, have faction specific missions. Nomads Hack certain targets, CA Civivac troops off the table. Ariadna place D-Charges... IDK, haha.
    Glad to hear about this though. Looking forward to it!

5. Good news.

An updated version of 20x20 is always something to look out for.

prophet of doom, Alfy and Robock like this.
  6. prophet of doom

I had a look at the old Campaign: Paradiso book. It is amazing to see what CB dared to do with the game back then. The scenarios were super complicated, I remember it took me almost half an hour to read and understand one of them. There was attacker and defender, and a lot of special scenario rules. One scenario even had a maglev train running through the board over the course of the game.

I decided to not have it that complicated so that people can play the scenarios casually.I shied away from having asymetrical missions because they are a lot harder to balance.

But since ITS is the norm, more narrative missions are necesessary. So the last two missions will be full on with the complexity, but I think that the other ones will also do a good job of telling a story.

chromedog, Blakhart, Savnock and 3 others like this.
  7. prophet of doom

the classified objectives deck was one of the reasons back then that motivated me to write 20x20. I am still not a fan of the cards.

8. unclesrouge

unclesrouge Well-Known Member

Great work and idea! The narrative missions would be more fun when they came as campaigns - i.e. taking the result of first mission to influence the next one, eg. wider deployment area for the one who get the right thing in the first Mission (that doesnt mean that it has to be the winner of the first mission). That has more fluff and is a different style of game than cometitive ITS Style.

9. prophet of doom

thanks for the reply. 20x20 is not a campaign system, but the missions can easily be attached to any campaign system. There is the old ICS, which can be found in Daedalus Falls. I have also found better campaing systems on the internet. Personally, I believe a good campaign system should just be tailored to the campaign you want to play, so can just make one up. Unfortunately, all the gamers around me are into competition, so I am not going to invent campaign systems which I am not able to use.

10. prophet of doom

I have attached the current document of the N4 version of 20x20. I got one game of playtesting in, but a new Covid surge has hit me which will probably slow down playtesting so much that it becomes impractical.

I would be happy about anyone who will give my new missions a shot. I am especially interested in testing the missions Siege, Take Prisoners and Bakunin's Treasures.

I know it is a long document, but you really only need to read the description of the mission and variation that you want to play. Of course, you are also welcome to read through the entire document and give me your feedback. Any feedback is welcome.

Attached Files:

11. theomc

theomc Well-Known Member

Buddy of mine (and I) played a 20x20 mission today and had a really good time with it. We waited until start of game to roll, so had to make very broad army lists (we hadn't read ahead, so didn't even really know what to expect).
    We wound up rolling 3 - Receive Transmission and 4 - Espionage
    So we had four consoles placed randomly within 6" of the center line and at the start of every round randomly rolled to see which one was "active", and whoever had the most points within 6" of that console at the end of round scored VPs.
    Espionage meant all our hidden info was open, which didn't have a major effect (my camo'd RTF Beasthunter was open info, his Morat drop troop guy was open info).
    Game came down to last roll as all my fast troops were dead, but all his heavy hitters were dead too. My Janissairy made a mad run across the board and just managed to get within 6" of the last console on the last order of the game. Good times.

prophet of doom and burlesford like this.
  12. prophet of doom

Thank you for letting me know about your game. Receive Transmissions is one of the missions I really wanted to test but was unable to. I am happy that it worked out and you had a good game.

I wouldn't call the placement of the console to be random, because players place them. The idea behind that is firstly, to adapt the placement to the terrain on the battlefield and secondly to have it not so boringly symetrical like in ITS. I do understand that this could cause slight balance problems, but under the premise players could agree to avoid that.

The most important piece of private information reveiled by the Espionage is probably the lieutenant. I agree it is not so relevant to know that there is an airborne trooper waiting in deployment or what a single camo marker conceals. That is stuff you can usually figure out by knowing your opponent and their forces. It is no 4 on the variations, so not too impactful. But on the other side, knowing which figure the LT is can make quite a difference.

13. prophet of doom

I am happy to see that there is still interest in 20x20. I wish I could host the document with the site of a well known blog or something like that.
    Unfortunately, I am not in contact with Infinity bloggers anymore. If someone has an idea of helping me out with that, please let me know.

Wizzy likes this.
  14. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

You should send a message to Wisekensai (blog: Bromad and mercrecon), as he has already referenced some mods, he may be interested by this one.

15. Santyagass

Santyagass Swords of the Prophet. Media engineer
    Warcor

Thank you very much for the great work, this is just a great set of rules that we have been using for a long time with great pleasure!

I have a question about the new version: tell me, how many wounds or structures does the Alien have? This is not indicated in the profile, but they are clearly there, since Regeneration is present.
    [​IMG]

16. prophet of doom

1 wound.

Thank you for pointing out this mistake. I will change it in the document.

17. prophet of doom

Rumdog likes this.
  18. Tcional

Tcional Nomad Taskmaster
    Warcor

LOL
    I was looking to contact you about some minor rule in 4.1 version for N3 because I wanted to use the system in my local league and found this topic. Awesome to see that you're still working on it. I will be happy to give some feedback once I get to play some mission. Up and coming is Black Operation in the 2nd half of October for the league :)
    To add to some of the conversation abote for me it was always refreshing to play 20x20 without any Classified Deck and some interesting twists in scenarios like Investigate Alien Artifact

19. Tcional

Tcional Nomad Taskmaster
    Warcor

Is 9 OP maximum for mission Forest of Horrors intended?
    3 OP (1 OP/round) for runestone
    +1 OP if you activated it more
    6 OP (1 OP/artifact) for artifact,
    So you can't get 10 OP because you need all 6 artifacts and if you do then you dont get +1 OP for more runestone activations.
    Changing it to +2 for more activations or adding additional point for activating more artifact would solve the issue.

Also I've noticed a lot of outdated keywords. G: Servant is now Peripheral(Servant) in this scenario. Other include Difficult Terrain: Zero Gravity being now, in N4, Terrain (Zero-G). There's also a consistency issue. In Investigate Alien Artefact you spell artefact with an 'e' and in Forest of Horrors you spell it with an 'i'. According to Oxford dictionary for British English we use 'artefact' and for American English we use 'artifact'.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation