1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions on right colours please - Orange

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Hope4Sun, May 13, 2022.

1. Hope4Sun

Hope4Sun Well-Known Member

Hi all, apologies for my first post being a question, was looking for a little advice on matching the Orange cloaks colours/shades on the Shaolin Warrior Monk. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated as loving that deep orange.
    EEED729F-69EA-43B1-9DAA-2F3656DB5EDA.jpeg

2. Uthoroc

Uthoroc Well-Known Member

I used Vallejo's "Orange Fire" on my Yu Jing, washed with Carroburg Crimson byGW, and then highlighted with lighter shades of Orange Fire (brightened with yellows and whites by Vallejo).
    [​IMG]

3. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

I also used quite the deep orange on my Nomads, but it's a little bit redder than this one. Still, my take on it would be:

1. A few thin base coats with white, or a white over black primer. Orange doesn't pop like this on a black primer.
    2. Base layer with Citadel Trollslayer Orange. I find VJ Orange Fire to not be bright enough for my taste. But it can also work, as @Uthoroc showed.
    3. Shade with VJ (Vallejo) Orange brown
    4. Highlight with a mixture or orange and yellow. Maybe VJ Ice Yellow, but I'm not sure that won't desaturate it too much.
    5. Edge Highlichts with VJ Ice Yellow.

So, in the end, you'd only need three colors: Orange (of your choice), VJ Orange Brown, and VJ Ice Yellow.

For my Nomads, I shade with red instead of brown, hence the more vibrant orange;:

[​IMG]

#3 burlesford, May 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  4. jmmelo

jmmelo Well-Known Member

I have been using GW Griph-hound orange contrast for the base of both oranges and reds, and it does work great.

Hope4Sun likes this.
  5. Hope4Sun

Thanks so for the ideas everyone, will have a play about. Been using the AG recipe for the standard yellow/orange but defiantly a lot more yellow than the monk for sure.

See my other post re my current first attempts, thanks again

6. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

My index of official orange recipes and look that (If needed other things.).

From Angel Giraldez: Step by Step, first part of Bike Orange NMM for Kum Rider

Bike Orange NMM
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.863430647051177.1073742076.436491416411771&type=3
    [​IMG]

From Angel Giraldez: Step by step, Gorgos
    Orange NMM
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.626303510763893.1073741947.436491416411771&type=1
    [​IMG]
    And recipe for NMM Orange by Sergio Luque (who painted Neema Saatar):
    orange armor plate. I use, Clear Orange+Orange Brown, Sunny Skintone for lights and Cavalry Bronw for shadows (following response to a comment on his instagram).
    [​IMG]

From Sergio Calvo Miniatures : tuto Youtube Fat Fat Yuan Bust
    orange clothing

From Angel Giraldez : WIP TAG Salamandre Nomad old Orange
    Orange NMM, this tuto is in the book masterclass vol 1, before weathering the recipe fits quite well.
    http://studiogiraldez.blogspot.com/2011/12/salamandra-wip.html
    [​IMG]

From Angel Giraldez : WIP orange combinaison of Hazmat
    orange clothing
    https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=611577672236477&set=a.436892756371637.101770.436491416411771
    [​IMG]

Orange for bounty hunter in motorcycle, recipe in the book vol 2.
    Base orange brown 70981
    1st Highlight : highlight with scrofulous brown 72038 by airbrush.
    2nd Highlight : 1st Highlight + white
    glazes to blend colors : scrofulous brown 72038
    Outlined all the grooves: washing by gory red 72711.
    Outlined the edges : mix of 50% scrofulous brown 72038 and white.
    [​IMG]

burlesford and Hope4Sun like this.
  7. Hope4Sun

Thanks so much for these incredible links, stupidly I forget to check the rest of his two books, been stuck on the Pano page for a while lol, the Hazmat Wip looks to be a close match so will give that a shot along with some of the above, many thanks for taking the time to provide this info.

Wizzy likes this.
  8. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

This is an incredible resource indeed. Thank you for that! Will definitely steal some of these recipes.

Wizzy likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation