1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

May there be a new teaser please?

Discussion in 'News' started by colbrook, Mar 16, 2022.

1. McDevil

McDevil Well-Known Member

Just meter of teste. I like CB proportions a lot. They get perfect balance.
    Not sure what you guys want. True proportions? Simple Joe will be struggling to paint that, glue and keep weapons not breaking just from farting in the same room. Or you want GW blobs where female-male looks the same and weapons have the same size, jep "f* huge?

Rizzy and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  2. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Oh, yeah. Supposedly standardized military organizations always have male/female gun variants! Why don't we just spend 2x money to fund RnDs on mechanics and double production lines just so girls look good with appropriately-sized guns! I'm sure every organisation in a grim generic sci-fi setting that became of Infinity thinks the same.

And you could easilly workaround this problem is you have, say, 2 standard rifle models. Like, maybe there's an upgrade kit with different/folding stock or something, not just shrinking guns.

Modock likes this.
  3. burlesford

burlesford Sheet guy

Once more it seems to me there are some interesting hills chosen to die on here.

4. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Oh, one has to die somewhere eventually, right?
    Picking oneself an interesting hill to do it on may have its merit... ;)

I agree, having models with different-sized sculpts of the same weapon looks... inconsistent. However, having just painted a set of old Halqa, I have been reminded that in the age of hand-sculpted models, however, the guns looked (proportionally) freaking huge, especially if the mdoels were proportionately not too beefy. Also, true-scaled weapons would be tiny and fragile: I have used 1/35-scale firearms for conversion purposes, and except for shorter buttstocks they were of the same length as handsculpt-era Haqq rifles, if much, much slimmer (and more fragile).

Realism is one thing, artistic choice of the CB is another, and productrion / material limitations are something yet else that must be taken into account.

There doesn't seem to be a good solution, or at least no solution that would satisfy everyone.... or, to quote a local (and not exactly polite) saying, "no matter how you turn, your butt is always in the rear..." ;)

Cthulhu363, burlesford and Gwynbleidd like this.
  5. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

How about having female sculpts made to match the scale of male ones, while guns staying as they are right now - slightly upscaled, but not ridiculously so?

6. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

That's because the hand-sculpted guns were huge in the same way that GW once made the conscious choice to disproportionally increase the size of hands and heads on minis for various reasons - CB made the decision to supply all minis with the same set of guns so they looked homogeneous. The issue with many hand-sculpted minis was that they barely made the cut of 28mm minis, let alone heroic 32mm, so the guns looked like Nerf™ guns and not all sculptors were great enough to work with this.
    I think the decision to supply a fixed set of guns with a fixed scale was a good one, but maybe the upscaling was a bit too much.

Written as someone who has no interest in painting the weapons, of course.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  7. McDevil

McDevil Well-Known Member

Lucian it have nothing to do with realism and how guns will be managed in future. Is just pure artistic decision. To make single models looks cool.

Cthulhu363 and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  8. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

I do like that there are differences between male and female miniatures. The problem is that some models have HUGE differences that make them look as if they are from different units. For example, the Domaru.

As a Tohaa player I like that the female models are slightly taller than their male counterparts but slimmer. There are differences, but they are not massive.

Cothel, Gwynbleidd, Golem2God and 3 others like this.
  9. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

sometimes you need "Function over realism" to make a game work. And thats applicable to sculpts, rules, and many other things

A Mão Esquerda and Abrilete like this.
  10. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

All I know is that I love their figures and they have some of the best looking ones in the hobby. I'm glad they have the creative freedom to do what they want and don't listen to arm chair sculptors who complain about their sculpting but buy it anyway. I'm at least thankful that CB has made female soldiers! GW only just started making female figures for 40k, but segregates them to a whole faction. Eldar have some but that's about all I can think of. Tau? In Star Wars you are lucky to have a named female character or Jedi. Maybe it's the Wookies. I haven't seen many at all for Stargrave.

Can anyone name another scifi game other than GW, that has female figures on par in number with Infinity, sexy or not?

#430 Space Ranger, Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    Rizzy, Gwynbleidd and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  11. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Absolutely, but we can spend literal years arguing over at what point between functionality and realism the golden ratio is - as either extreme are probably the two worst choices on this sliding scale. And of course, what constitutes "function"

Well, you know, fascists gonna fascists and are they truly fascists if they don't have a sex they consider to have exclusivity on military suitability?
    Arguably, some settings would have legs to stand on with the claim that "you can't tell under all that armour" when they go for a more realistic approach to military fatigues and body armour.

12. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Sure, because even basic male/female proportion guides are not available a google away. Just apply one single proportional guideline, keep it consistently and use the same weapon sizes for both.

[​IMG]

Stiopa likes this.
  13. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

I would say a lot of us here think Corvus makes some of the finest minis on the market, not many will argue that, but at the same time It doesn't mean they are perfect.
    Feedback is a good thing, nodding like everything is alright is not. It is up to Corvus to decide what to make out of it and that's perfectly fine of course.
    I'm huge fan of CB minis and I mostly collect them, to think about it I haven't bought a non-CB mini in years.

You're saying like is a good thing (IMO of course) and there are two main reasons why. First, smaller and thinner figures are harder to paint and see the details and the
    second one is the following example:

grenz1.jpg
    grenz2.png
    grenz3.png

See the difference in body composition? She's so out of proportion that you could say she's a different unit. The head is as big as her chest in wider than the waist.
    That is not sexy or good looking mini.
    Psychoticstorm mentioned how massive the helmets are but with that kind of a body they are gonna be huge in comparision.

#433 Modock, Apr 25, 2022
    Chaserabinov, Stiopa and Graves like this.
  14. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

They actually are using the same weapon sizes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have these two on my desk from the IA starter box and despite the physical size difference both models are using the same scale combirifle. The difference is the male Haidao has the telescoping stock extended to make it fit on him.

15. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Um yeah that's for our human real size. Take away the hair and colors and make it a quarter of the size and then tell me which is which.
    But now put it down to the size of a miniature. When you can make a miniature that looks perfectly realistic and can still tell the difference between men and women in the same gear, then complain all you want because you can do it and they can't. Oh and make sure it can go through the process to make them a miniature.

The reason to exaggerate is so you can tell what it is at an inch and half size! If you can't tell what it is then why even bother making them?

Even the males are over exaggerated to make them look more male. Apparently in the future Steroids have not bad effects.

Edit: after saying I haven't seen females in Stargrave, they are now coming out with a set of females human and aliens. So good for them!

#435 Space Ranger, Apr 25, 2022
    Gwynbleidd and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  16. archon

archon Well-Known Member

I remember the old - but actual - Fusilier SWC box as it was released - I thought the put a spitfire in it instead of the HMG. Its so tiny. And the Combi of the Ice Storm female Fusilier is the size of SMG or even smaller. Apart from that, I am fine with way CB sculpts females. The younger the sculpts the more "realistic" they are, but do sometings like Battleheels and stuff :-)

17. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

Smaller people could prefer smaller weapons for ergonomics, but yes, in this case, dont proceed

18. jake richmond

jake richmond Well-Known Member

Why is the complaint always that the women are out of proportion? Why is it never that the men are nearly all unrealistically huge?

burlesford likes this.
  19. Nuada Airgetlam

And this is the correct way to do it, further exemplifying that if CB wants to, they can.

But maaaany other sculpts show this is not the case. Hence, the issue.

Abrilete and Stiopa like this.
  20. Nuada Airgetlam

> female mode is shown to be literally half width of male at shoulder, instead of 0.259H vs 0.245H.
    > female model is shown with waist 2/3 the width of head, instead of 0.219H
    > ...
    > but what about teh menz?!

Modock and Stiopa like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation