1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fireteam BS Attack Bonus applying to Discover

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Teslarod, Mar 29, 2022.

1. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

RAW Fireteams seem to double dip from the Discover and the BS Attack bonus both RAW applying to Discover.
    upload_2022-3-29_16-10-38.png

Personally I never noticed this being the case RAW. The old 5 man Bonus rules make you forget how Discover works.
    upload_2022-3-29_16-12-51.png

However the wording is unchanged in the new Fireteam Annex. By unlinking the BS Attack MOD and the Discover MOD the mental barrier, that seemed to autoconclude these MODs are separate and wouldn't stack, disappeared.
    When someone brought this up on Discord I went immedeately "this can't be right", but after investigation it is.

Now, I think this is likely an oversight.
    I don't know anyone that played old 5man Fireteams with +6 MOD to Discover and I don't think the BS Attack Bonus and Bonus to Discover were ever intended to stack and instead were an elobarative measure so you wouldn't forget that Bonus also applied to Discover.

Could we get some clarification on this?
    Mostly because the RAW is very solid, it would indeed stack without the need for interpretation. Never seen this used or discussed anywhere, including official batreps, which is why this could use a confirmation either way.

#1 Teslarod, Mar 29, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
    WiT?, Robock, Methuselah and 4 others like this.
  2. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

Apparently we've been playing Infinity wrong for many years. As you say. The 5-men bonus was giving +3 to BS Attacks and +3 WIP to Discover, yet we only applied the +3 WIP bonus forgetting that Discover uses any MOD that apply to BS Attack and therefore was entitled to get +3 BS too.

3. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

And by many years, i mean, as early as N3 when Discover had a note that you apply the same MODs that affects BS Attacks. So 4-men should have gotten +3 WIP and 5-men should have gotten a further +3 MOD on BS Attacks.

upload_2022-3-31_18-41-3.png

edit: Initially in N3, before the fireteam revision*, +3 WIP was 4-men bonus and +3 BS was a 5-men bonus. But once the Fireteam revision for N3 came, it was changed to have both bonuses under 5-men.

*exactly like we just had N4 come out some time before N4 Fireteam annex.

#3 Robock, Mar 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2022
  4. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Among other differences, in HSN3 the notion that those two bonuses (the +3 BS and the +3 Discover) would stack were killed by the presence of examples which were taken to be correct. (Quoting from HSN3 page 16, Fire Team Example. Support Skill)

With the next Order, the first Short Skill is declared: Move. After the corresponding Initial Coherency Check and the adversary’s ARO declarations, the player declares the Second Short Skill of the Order: BS Attack. Once again, a Move + Support Skills combination. The Leader and the members of the Team move, but the Team Leader is the only one who performs the BS Rolls. As this is a Fireteam of five models, the Team Leader gets a MOD of +1 to B, and a MOD of +3 to BS.

If the Discover skill would have been declared instead of BS Attack as the second Skill of the Order, then, the Team Leader would have been the only one to perform the WIP roll, receiving a +3 MOD to his WIP.
    And this isn't the only case of the rules presenting a needlessly verbose (and redundant) modifier. It also happened for things like the Spotter rule:
    This Special Skill automatically provides the associated trooper a bonus MOD of +3 to the BS and WIP Rolls when declaring BS Attack or Discover, respectively.​

:ghost:

5. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

This is still the current example for N4 as well.

https://infinitythewiki.com/Fireteam_Examples

I think it's a pretty clear example of what the intended rule is.

And to double down on it, the same example is also present in the latest annex.

https://downloads.corvusbelli.com/infinity/rules/rules-annex-eng.pdf

Hecaton, Teslarod and Robock like this.
  6. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

7. Frodos

Frodos Active Member

In my opinion if the example is contrary to the rules text, the example is to be treated as wrong. It was already a case with (for example) Example of Hacking Area and ARO Through a Repeater which was contrary to the rules (and was FAQd). So I would not say that Examples are to be treated how things should be played correctly.

8. Child9

Child9 Well-Known Member

Is it contrary to the rules, in that case? I'm not sure... =/

9. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

but why would we only consider the N4 Annex example to be wrong ? We accepted the same example as being RAI since N3 as well as in early N4 too. We already knew how to play it without that example. That example only reaffirms that we play it as a single +3 bonus. It is only now that some players are starting to argue that it was +6 all along.

also I forgot to write inb4, but when I saw Diphoration post, I swear I was already thinking that it is almost futile as those who really really wants it to be +6 will dismiss it saying the example is contradictory to the rule text and therefore has no effect. And here you are claiming exactly that. Use examples when they align with what you want, but if it contradicts your rule based arguments then you can dismiss it as having no weight in a RAW/RAI debate.

Diphoration and DukeofEarl like this.
  10. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

It's just a very crystal clear example of them writing the rule with an oversight to their FAQ wording of Discover+Targeted.

They never intended the fireteam BS Bonus to stack for Fireteam Discover Bonus and go up to +6.

Danger Rose, Hecaton and Robock like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation