1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[WARCROW] The new fantasy universe by Corvus Belli

Discussion in 'News' started by Koni, Mar 25, 2022.

1. Rumdog

Rumdog Well-Known Member

Yeeeeah, I'll probably sit on it for a little longer.

2. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Oh, by the way. If warcry warcrow goes KS this fall - when Rem Racer game comes out?

Frodos, Ealthril and toadchild like this.
  3. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

Indexation of the videos with their reactions of Diced and Infinity Gamer (I saw that CB had sent his leak to youtubers outside the English and Spanish speaking area, that will probably mean that we will have a distribution in 4 languages as like for aristeia... maybe maybe ^^). :yum:

What is Warcrow? | New game from Corvus Belli

Video of Diced in German for the Germans who would not have seen it and would like to share it. Tchuss guys :the_horns:

It will depend on the price of the all-in during the first kickstarter, unless it exceeds 3 numbers ^^

Screen of the calendar, if you want it:
    [​IMG]

#23 Wizzy, Mar 25, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
    Ealthril likes this.
  4. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Well, colour me curious. Though not interested.

I'm curious what the CB have cooked up.
    I don't really have more space in my life than for more than one wargame (and Infinity fills that slot, thank you very much). So I'm not interested,

And definitely the Kickstarter dungeon crawler is a no-no.

I have to agree with @Triumph - symbol dice have been in my experience (tried X-wing at some point) a problem, requiring one to learn, effectively, a new alphabet. So kinda counter-intuitive. Though perhaps CB can make it right.
    Either way, since I don't expect to be getting into this game, it is just an observation.

We might still get some cool models out of it, though.

Gwynbleidd likes this.
  5. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Definitely curious to hear more, I've got some friends who would be very interested in picking up a new fantasy skirmish game.

Cervantes3773 and Gwynbleidd like this.
  6. Cthulhu363

Cthulhu363 May his passage cleanse the world.

i'm mostly a sci fi guy, but i've been having a need to play something fantasy. This will scratch that itch....

A Mão Esquerda and Gwynbleidd like this.
  7. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

I, for one, am glad to hear this news. I've mentioned a desire to see a fantasy game from CB for years now. I will certainly consider the kickstarter. Dungeon crawlers are meant to be one and done, at least the ones I am accustomed to. Defiance not getting further 'support' was not a problem for me.

Possible translation of species (total guesswork)
    Tohaa= Elves -- the nasty sort from folklore, not the limp Tolkien sort
    Morats= Ogres
    Shasvastii='Dark' Elves
    EI= Sauron (or the generic Dark Lord-- see Diana Wynne Jones excellent book "The Tough Guide to Fantasyland")
    Ariadna =Orcs
    All other factions= Humans
    Exrah =Thri-kreen -- Yeah baby, they're back!

Disappointed it won't be d20 based, but symbol dice are not an absolute deal breaker. If nothing else, there will be excellent minis that can be used for other Fantasy games. That's a win. There are some good fantasy minis, but nothing in large numbers that are CB level of quality that I am aware of.

Final note: Maybe this will slow down the relentless growth we have been seeing in Infinity. CB needs to sell minis to stay in business. With another line of minis to sell, Cb doesn't have to churn out even more stuff for Infinity. I cannot keep up with Infinity at this point. And now an explosion of Morat stuff.

8. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

I agree, too many profiles in Infinity, just look at the ID Guide to recognize the miniatures in the general factions, it looks like the Netflix catalog version of the miniatures, by the time you find a list in all these choices, you're ... :sleeping::laughing:

Personally I would like the 'tohaa' elves to have a deltoro touch (hellboy 2).
    [​IMG]

I got the silhouette of the mystery characters to make predictions (no doubt they are the DC characters). :eyes:
    [​IMG]

The 2nd one from the left is for me, look like a elve with a valkyrie style and the last one on the right is some kind of 'wizzard' oberon I think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

I’m quite excited for the prospect of a fantasy game from CB but mostly for the potential miniatures they’ll come up with based on a wide variety of anime and manga and fantasy books. I’d love to see the Slayers characters rendered by CB as well as some Witcher characters but I’m intrigued by what they’ll come up with. I may look at the kickstarter but my wallet is dry right now thanks to anycubic and their new 3D resin printer.

@Wizzy , forgot about del toros hellboy! Yes, I’d love to see some stuff in that vein as well.

#29 Gwynbleidd, Mar 26, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
  10. Cervantes3773

Cervantes3773 Rogue AI
    Warcor

Where is the picture of those silhouettes from?

11. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

teaser web.

Oh god, i was waiting for this since i choose to enter Infinity instead of WHF as my first game and later WH was killed by GW.

please, GO ESPECTACULAR. Titans, gryphs, dragons...

12. Ugin

Ugin Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Can't wait to see the actual minis!

toadchild likes this.
  13. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

Like how in the RPG Fragged Empire series their fantasy counterpart turns out to be an actual planet in the Fragged Empire universe. Separate from mainline civilization for so long that they are around middle ages in technology. So could that be where CB is going? Having Tohaa as the hinge between both universes and the planet Warcrow takes place own being in the far flung areas of the Universe. Tohaa being the elves or evidence of Tohaa having been on the planet where Warcrow is.

stevenart74 likes this.
  14. jake richmond

jake richmond Well-Known Member

They were very, very clear that Defiance would not have support beyond release. That was stated over and over from day 1.

15. jake richmond

All games are symbol games. Literally every game you've ever played is a symbol game.

Morray and Daniel Darko like this.
  16. jake richmond

I feel like most people can pretty easily interpret simple symbols and dice and cards. Thousands and thousands of board and card game already use symbols this way, and millions of people have played them for decades with no problems.

The idea that symbols puts a game in a niche and makes it hard to play is some whiney gamer bullshit. I've been working in the game industry for almost 20 years and I can 100% guarantee you this is not true.

Barsik, Morray, griffrat and 4 others like this.
  17. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

I dunno if you've met alot of gamers (or people in general) but they're often whiny or lazy, frequently both at the same time.

People are naturally attracted to safe, familiar, and easy. The more complex and different you make something the more inertia there is to overcome to get people to try it long enough to like it. Alot of games are what I find to be brutally honest, dog shit. They're badly balanced, and overly simple and I find that boring.

They're also some of the most popular games in the world. Meanwhile far more interesting and complex games that I've truly loved have slowly died screaming into an uncaring void because they could never get a large enough initial player base to become truly popular.

Getting people to try new things is hard enough and the reality is Warcrow is never going to get a decent playerbase where I am without massive investment from at least one individual to push it and keep it alive. I already do that for Infinity, I don't have time to do it for another game that's going to come out the gate shooting itself in the foot with weird dice.

Abrilete likes this.
  18. jake richmond

I agree that getting people to try new things is always difficult (and that gamers can be whiny and lazy). I disagree that symbols are a problem. Bad game design certainly is, and if that happens with this game symbols won't matter. if a gamer sees symbols as a barrier, its because they WANT to create barriers. As long as they want to do that they won't be willing to try something new. They are the problem, and catering to them won't create a solution. They'll just invent another reason they don't want to try the game.

We have thousands and thousands of games published over decades at all levels of complexity that show that symbols are not a problem, from mainstream card game hits like Magic: the Gathering and Pokemon, family classics like Uno, staples like Chess and wargame giants like X-Wing and Warhammer. Every version of Infinity has used symbols. Most video games, including popular mainstream mobile games, use symbols. Symbols are a basic form of communication, and good games make use of them well.

I'm always amazed that gamers like to complain about weird dice when they're the group that ends up spending so much on weird dice all the time anyway. Its just, as you said, lazy whining. It has no merit.

Imon Spartan and bladerunner_35 like this.
  19. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

You're forgetting the part where they already know numerical symbols. Numbers are safe and easy, they already know how to read these. If they want to play A! for example, they have to learn a whole new set of symbols and how to use them.

Like you mention, X-Wing maintains a solid playerbase. Like I said, that's because Star Wars is super popular as a global IP and helps overcome inertia. It's way easier to find people willing enough to give it a shot just because they love Star Wars. Warcrow is not going to have this behind it.

Safe, easy, dumbed down, less complex. That's the whole damn reason Code 1 exists, to help overcome gamer hesitation to try Infinity. Weird dice for a brand new IP is just CB shooting themselves in the foot for the sake of trying to massively differentiate Warcrow from Infinity.

#39 Triumph, Mar 26, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2022
    Abrilete likes this.
  20. jake richmond

Symbols are easy to learn. We learn new symbols all the time. Babies learn symbols. We use symbols every day to communicate both complex and simple ideas, often between people who speak completely different languages. Nearly every time you play a new video game you learn a host of new symbols. every app we use is full of symbols. Every street we drive down is full of symbols. The ide that symbols in games are a hurdle gamers cant overcome or some barrier to entry is absurd.

Yes, Star Wars is very popular, and yes that has a lot to do with the success of the Star Wars games. But X-Wing, Legion and Armada are also well designed games, and the symbols they use do not get in the way of learning how to play those games. Just like they don't get in the way of learning to play Pokemon, Magic, Uno, Chess, Blackjack or thousands of other games that have been popular for decades. People LIKE symbols. They engage with symbols. This has been shown over and over again.

I've worked in gaming for 20 years. One of my very first jobs was working for Wizards of the Coast teaching kids how to play Pokemon. Kids were interested in the game BECAUSE it was Pokemon, but they had no trouble learning the very symbol heavy mechanics. We found most players, even as young as 7 or 8, were able to teach the game to their friends after playing for just an hour. Symbols are an easy teaching tool. Symbols are commonly used to education. I can speak on that with authority, because for the very same 20 years that I've worked in gaming I've also been a teacher.

Infinity is a very complex game. Much more so than most other tabletop games. But just because a simplified onloading product exists for Infinity that doesn't mean that symbols are too complex to be used in games. That's not even the same thing. infinities complexity has nothing to do with the large number of symbols it uses. In fact, Infinity's use of symbols is so well done that most players forget that its even there.

Again, games of all kinds have been using symbols, on dice or tokens or cards or in other places, since before either of us were born. As long as the game is well designed this presents absolutely zero barrier to entry.

The only barrier here is the one gamers are creating themselves because they like to complain about everything. Gamers like to throw tantrums.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation