1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to proxy!

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Gio, Feb 12, 2022.

1. Gio

Gio Member

Hello everybody, new player here

I'm just wondering if there's a guide out there on what models to buy in order to be able to play unavailable models in armies like Acontecimento or Merovingia... I mean, similar models to get a nice, visualy "equivalent" army.

Thanks!

Space Ranger likes this.
  2. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I don't think anyone's written a specific guide with a table of substitutions, but if you look at https://human-sphere.com/ you can see photos of pretty much all Infinity models that have ever existed and get a good feel for what might fit in well. Don't get too hung up on color schemes, because you can obviously paint anything however you like, and you'll be surprised how far that goes for unifying models that were originally intended for different armies.

3. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

I think it will depend on how 'crafty' you want to be - some people go to great lengths to kitbash models... and many models, even ones that are very commonly played, can be strangely hard to find or out of print (e.g. Guilang blisters) or never had a model to begin with (e.g Karhu) - so even if you're playing an army with great availability in theory, there will undoubtedly be some stuff you'll want or need to proxy.

People commonly add the 'correct' weapons to their proxies, which can be found through "Monstrous Makings" - I'm personally not too picky on correct weapons, though I've made some tokens that can be used to mark units to help identify them on the battlefield.

Armies sometimes completely change the design of a given unit when they reprint/update them as well, so even if you have the "original" sculpts you may find yourself with something inconsistent if the model line refreshes. So my advice, similar to @toadchild, is to just kind-of roll with it and pick some stuff you think looks cool to represent your guys, and depend on a consistent paint job to tie everything together.

One thing to consider is whether or not you will end up using models for their intended purpose later on and whether that helps or hurts you. For example, I'm currently proxying Nisse for Karhu in my Svalerheima Winterforce. Nisse themselves are available in Sval... so if and when the Karhu models finally come out, I can pivot the Nisse to be themselves and use Karhu as Karhu and I won't end up with spare non-playable models lying around. Playing Nisse and proxied Karhu Nisse in one list could be confusing though :grimacing:

PanO tends to have a lot of similar aesthetics so it would likely be fairly straightforward to proxy:
    Acontecimento regulars are variations on Fusiliers, which should be easy to find
    Bagh Mari look kind-of like Kamau
    Other stuff may be easier or harder to find especially because Steel Phalanx units are also hard to find

Ultimately though Infinity is a very collaborative game, and because you're working together with your opponent and clarifying things to one another as you go (including likely reminding them which units are which in the case of proxies) you don't need to be too hung up on being WYSIWYG like some other games.

4. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I think this needs to be approached on a case-by-case basis. Which exact army do you intend to play that needs to be proxied / partially proxied, @gapz01 ?

My own rules-of-thumb for proxying are:
    • (broadly) similar troop type (a model wearing lots of armor can be a HI or, MI, a model with little to no armor may represent a LI, SK or WB)
    • (broadly) similar weapon category (a rifle-like can be Rifle, Combi, Multi etc, a long gun may be Sniper or Marksman, a big box-fed gun may be Spitfire or Red Fury, or HMG, a launcher can be Light / Heavy Rocket Launcher or Missile Launcher... or Panzerfaust)
    • absolutely never proxy a model with different model available to the same army (to avoid confusion). True, having extensive collection of models and distinctive color schemes for different armies helps (this rule is to avoid sowing confusion. If my opponent is facing a Druze army, and there's suddenly a Mobile Brigada model on the table - something Druze can't field - then it is obviously a proxy, and a proxy of something havy and well-armored. Hmm.. a Digger, methinks...). May be a model from a different system.

toadchild and chromedog like this.
  5. Gio

Gio Member

Great, thanks for the advice, haven`t thought about using miniatures of another faction to avoid confusion.
    I'm thinking of an Acontecimento army, maybe using some fusiliers for regulars and kamau for bagh-mari would work great!

chromedog likes this.
  6. Errhile

Well, that's a question for someone who knows the PanOceanian range way better than me :) but in general, yeah, why not? :)

7. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Good question. I have a personal way of doing it for somethings.
    1. I try to have the same armor and gun.
    2. Try to use one from the same army. However sometimes something that isn't can be better so there's no confusion as to it being a proxy.
    3. Have the proxy painted in the same scheme as the rest of the army.

Proxies I use on a regular basis:

Su Jian combat form as a Mowang

Bran Do Castro as my Yu Jing Beast Hunter
    [​IMG]

Dog Warrior as McMurrough
    [​IMG]

Kanren as Tian Gou
    [​IMG]

Tagma Schemer as Armand Le Muet
    [​IMG]

8. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

Disagree entirely. Sometimes (often) a model you don't use from the same army looks exactly right for the unit you want.

It's your army, make it your own - use the models you like.

To the OP question, for SAA I like Fusiliers for Regulars - and there are six models with combis, which is great if you run as many Regulars as I do. Nisse make good Bagh Maris (they're just Bagh Maris that put on coats). I use a Cutter for my Dragao.

Lawson likes this.
  9. Space Ranger

When I eventually try out White Company it's going to be almost all proxy. Zhanshi-Fusilier, Orc-Shang ji, etc.

QueensGambit likes this.
  10. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

I'm also in the camp that it's okay to proxy from the same army so long as you can make it clear on the table... both because of aesthetic synergy and also because I would want models I spent a long time painting to have a second life (and it's more likely they will have that second life if I can use them for their original purpose in Vanilla or another [or the same] sectorial) if the things they're currently proxying eventually become available to purchase.

11. Errhile

And you are within your rights to do so.
    As I wrote, these were my rules of thumb. I have an extensive model collection, so finding a proxy from a different army is relatively simple.

Also, it should be differetniated whether we're talking temporary proxies, or permanent proxies.
    • temporary proxy is a situation where one uses a model to represent a different one for the time being: because you don't have the actual model yet (haven't bought it yet, or it haven't been released yet, or you actually do own it, but it is on the painting table right now)
    • permanent proxy is if you for some reason do represent the model in question with a different model, and do not intend to field the actual model (usually, because you don't like the actual sculpt). For example, I don't like any of the existing Saito Togan models, so I use Nakdai Shunya instead. I also own a set of N2 Azra'il who have been repurposed as Riot Grrls for my StarCo. A temporary proxy may as well become a permanent proxy if the model gets released and you decide you don't like it enough to justify buying it and replacing the one you're currently using.

QFT!

Hmm, give these coats a jungle camo paintjob (represetning their Mimetism), and they could make pretty convincing Bagh-Mari indeed!

chromedog likes this.
  12. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

The golden rules are:
    1) Don't use a Proxy minuature that you are deploying as itself (No Fusilier-as-Nisse if you are using Fusiliers in the army)
    2) If you use proxy loadout, don't mix and match. If you have a Kamau Sniper and a Kamau Hacker, use the Hacker model as Hacker, not as Sniper.
    3) Stick ABSOLUTELY to the same S value (eventually rebasing TAGs/REMs)
    4) Try to use at least the same type (LI/MI/HI) of troops, to get the same visual

If you stick to these points, you can do whatever you want and you'll be certain to not create any confusion in game

13. Space Ranger

The main thing to do is not be a jerk about it. Meaning not trying to pull "gotcha" things. Unless of course it's a rule to absolutely do that! Holomask is for that. If you need to, because you just don't have a good figure to represent, I'd accept writing it down on a small piece of paper and putting it by the figure. This is a game where we need to work together to have fun. So communicate things like this.

Errhile and QueensGambit like this.
  14. Gio

Gio Member

I could not agree more.
    Thanks, everybody for your suggestions, duly noted, I'll make those my own rules-of-thumb for proxying hereinafter.
    Kamau for Bagh-Mari sounds great btw

Errhile and Space Ranger like this.
  15. Angry Clown

Angry Clown Well-Known Member

Would u prefer to see a Strelok marksmanrifle mini

Or instead using a scout with boarding shotgun

As a Strelok with boardingshotgun

16. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

I personally think the mini itself takes precedence over the weapon but that's just me. There are so many weapons/kits that just don't exist on sculpts that I never take for granted that the mini someone is playing with is WYSIWIG in terms of armament.
    So if you're talking about the sculpts I think you are (which are in the TAK Action Pack)... I always play the Scout as Scout and Strelok as Strelok, particularly because I tend to have them both in the same army and also potentially another Strelok as well.
    It's one thing to proxy a completely different figure as something, but I think it could get really confusing to say "This Strelok is a Scout and this Scout is a Stelok" in the same army, and then if you later purchased more of either unit you'd have to decide which way to go. What would happen if you later got the Strelok w/ K9 Antipode and SMG? What if you bought the Scout Ohotnik or Scout Sniper Rifle?

Angry Clown likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation