1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion on the new moderation policy can be had here

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Time Bandit, Feb 4, 2022.

1. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

But why delete people's messages. It's better that everyone see what everyone else is really like.

Also, keeping in good faith of the forum, the point of discussion is to find solutions to game problems. Certain behaviors while not a direct attack are obviously with negative intent. Sure, this isnt justifiably reportable, but we should still be aware of personal bias in others comments.

2. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

The problem is that it's very easy to misinterpret others' intent. The fact that something is "obvious" for us doesn't mean it's true, as personal bias goes both ways. We should be aware that we can be just as biased as we believe others to be. And this is in my opinion one of the most common reasons for arguments on the forum to escalate the way they do; someone misinterprets something being said as a personal attack, and retaliates. Then the conflict is in full swing, and most people taking part focus too much on "winning", and too little on figuring out if they're actually in the right.

And this is the other side of the "we want actual moderation" coin; there are very few actual trolls and troublemakers here, most of the time it's just us being too full of ourselves. So let's start with each of us moderating themselves, which will also make the actual trolls stand out more, making it easier for moderators to deal with them.

And on the topic of moderators dealing with them: @psychoticstorm, you're often using the argument about this being an international forum, which means language and culture barriers make it easier to misinterpret things. You're using it both to keep us from judging others too harshly, and to explain your leniency as a moderator. I disagree with this take. First of all, these barriers aren't that pronounced. And secondly: yes, this is an international forum, which means that we should follow common norms when posting, instead of acting as we will and letting others figure it out.

nazroth, chromedog, DaRedOne and 6 others like this.
  3. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I left this one to give some context to the answer, in general I agree people should not assume what they think is what everybody else is thinking, and this is one of the barriers in language and in culture, what one say does not mean it will be interpreted as it is intended from the receiver.

But I think the barriers are more profound than they are imagined, given I cannot have people from the same language group (but not necessarily from the same countries) agree on what is a joke (bad or not), interaction between different language groups and cultures is more complex than it seems at first sight, probably because we are unified under the English language this makes communication feel easier than it is.

The question is not if we should follow some "common norms" the question is whose common norms we should follow, everyone has their own perception of what these common norms are and there is no consensus nor can this lead to an organic solution that fits the forum and the needs of the community, over the years we organically adapt to the forum community needs and change in how to serve the community better, recent changes for example the ban of disruptive discussion like contemporary politics are moves into this direction, more organic evolution in the moderation rules will happen.

4. psychoticstorm

I do not think the removed discussion would lead anywhere, so for various reasons it has been removed.

5. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Please change the thread title to:
    "Discussion on the new moderation policy can be had here - unless the partial mod doesn't want you to".

wuji likes this.
  6. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

Agreed. I do not think comments that are inflammatory need to stay up. If it ruins the understanding of the thread's actual topic, maybe just forced edits, but otherwise it doesn't need to stay.

7. psychoticstorm

If the discussion can be done under the minimal requirements the forum has, it can stay.

8. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

@psychoticstorm

What is it you intend to do about persons who have a clear intent to harass others continuously even if they are toning it down? Constant beratement is a harassment.

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  9. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

I'll ask to EVERYONE in this forum to let us work to have a better environment.

Pushing things to the limit to make difficult @psychoticstorm work and mine is not very welcoming. Everyone wants a better place? I'm sure about it. Some posters wants to explain their ideas of the rules? Of course I'm sure. And people can be agree or not. But engaging again and again in both sides in fights, is not helping.

Can everyone relax and let's try again, please?

THANK YOU.

#169 Koni, Feb 21, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation