1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAQ 1.2 Minelayer

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Mahtamori, Jan 28, 2022.

1. ijin

ijin New Member

Decoy works differently than deployable. You place your model and decoy markers(alternatively your camo markers) within coherency and then make a note of which is your troop.

The weird thing here is the strelok minelayer since I guess one can’t measure ZoC of ones decoy so when placing the mine one will out which is the trooper.

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

There is very little difference between deploying inside zone of control and respecting coherency. The main difference is that when deploying "in coherency" you may adjust position after measuring if you find you are not in range (provided you aren't deploying the trooper as a reserved unit).
    The two are otherwise remarkably similarly worded and uses remarkably similar mechanics. Of course, with Decoys and Holoechos the whole point is the shell game as a Holoecho or a Decoy has almost no other function.

3. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

About this interaction... I missed it earlier, but I have to say wording is different to the spanish FAQ, where the rule is "may, and not must", so it is optional and not mandatory. It was a while between the last discrepancy and this, at least in FAQ terms. To me it makes more sense in spanish than the english version.

I hope this take the attention of someone who can solve which wording is the one we should follow in this particular case. @psychoticstorm I quoted you but I don't have any clue if you have direct contact with the staff. I put here too @Koni @HellLois

Mahtamori likes this.
  4. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

5. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

So HD minelayers are still dead and the intent as a whole is to clearly kill off minelayer roulette then, it seems.

6. Mogra

Mogra Well-Known Member

Just ask your opponent for some privacy when you deploy

bladerunner_35 likes this.
  7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

House rules are fine, but if you are going to play with them you have to remember to discuss that with your opponent to make sure they want to opt in to playing with them or you'll be literally cheating when you measure something behind your opponent's back.

Delta57Dash and QueensGambit like this.
  8. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

Sadly, you cannot (outside house rules). The measurement between hd trooper and mine is public info.

Delta57Dash and Methuselah like this.
  9. PappaChu

PappaChu Well-Known Member

the interm ruling goes a long way on clarifying the intent and solving most of the issues around it, along with saying they know it doesn't solve everything yet but that they'll be addressing it once HellLois is feeling well again

give them some time, and in the meantime just ask your opponent to turn around like normal, the intent seems to be making sure you are placing mines in legal positions, not forcing you to telegraph where your hidden deployment dude is

10. Weathercock

Much as I dislike it, the intent seems pretty clear that CB wants your opponent to always be aware of what is and is not a mine. The most ambiguity possible would be camo minelayers, but you should always at least be aware which of the two possible options it is, and that it is a minelayer profile. No faking a mine for another camo trooper, basically.

11. PappaChu

PappaChu Well-Known Member

I guess that seems like a pretty disingenuous interpretation of things to me, but hey, what do I know

Either way, I'd wait for a bit of further clarification before freaking out about the sky falling

12. Mogra

Mogra Well-Known Member

I think that the intent of the rule is that the player who control the minelayer is sure the mine is deployed in ZC.

If you read the FAQ in the mother tongue of the developer, the intent of the rule is clearer.

It translates something like:

The player MAY measure the distance before deploying the mine.

The MUST wording in the English faq changes the meaning of the phrase.

Cheers

PappaChu likes this.
  13. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

dumpster fire change lmao

14. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

It looks like you decide which one to measure from and tell the opponent that you're measuring from the camo marker, but not what's under the marker.

So, place camo marker. Measure its full ZoC. Place second camo marker within that zone. Opponent knows one is a mine and one a minelayer, but not which is which.

Or, place camo marker. Measure its full ZoC. Place nothing. Opponent knows you have a HD minelayer somewhere in that circle.

TBD: Can I place a mine, measure its ZoC, secretly place my Tuareg minelayer in HD, then place my Farzan FO in camo inside the mine's ZoC, so that it looks like the Farzan is either the mine or the minelayer? Or do I have to specify that I placed a trooper in HD in between?

Methuselah likes this.
  15. Weathercock

This would be easily solved while keeping shell games in tact if they just made it compulsory to measure ZoC of every model or marker placed on the table at deployment.

Triumph, Mogra, Amusedbymuse and 2 others like this.
  16. Weathercock

I would also like to add that I'm a big fan of the 'I'm going to go and have a sandwich while you get your side set up, tell me what everything is when I get back' approach to deployment, where everything essentially gets deployed on the table 'simultaneously.'

Having to watch each step like a hawk doesn't feel as nice, in my book.

wes-o-matic and Mogra like this.
  17. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

You're opponent should be telling you when they do mandatory measurements, so you shouldn't have to watch like a hawk.

Taking a break while they deploy should also be fine, when they tell you everything at the end of your deployment it can include "I measured the ZoC of this camo marker and deployed this other camo marker inside it." And of course allowing you to remeasure it if you want to.

Mahtamori and Delta57Dash like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation