1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Official Announcement] Injected Thermoplastic miniatures

Discussion in 'News' started by Koni, Jul 29, 2021.

1. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I feed my inner wolves from the local peasant stock. It keeps both of them happy.

2. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

So excellent of you to out yourself as a toxic troll, which everyone else could already see.

chromedog and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  3. Dragonstriker

There's screenshots and you still keep twisting the truth. Typical.

4. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

Hear, hear!

How about we start confining ourselves to commenting the siocast we've received, how to deal with its issues, if any, and whether we've changed our opinion on it.

I for one got two boxes of the old rems and I'm happily drilling and pinning and magnetizing and so on. This provides me with sufficient amusement, but I admit that they will probably enrage people who are new to model building. Definitely not newbie-friendly, especially for such a key Nomad unit.

The new ones look 10 times easier and 100 times quicker to assemble, have updated looks (better in some aspects, worse in others), but they seem to have this constant problem with one leg not touching the ground. So how do people deal with that - hot water, as with other plastics? Just glue to the base and hope it stays glued?

5. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

I'd probably cut it off and pin it in the correct position, closing the gap with modelling putty. You could glue it at tension, but I've had bad experiences with that in the past, where the whole base would slowly deform and start wobbling on even surfaces. Might not be an issue with Siocast though, depending on its properties.

6. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Glue to base and it stays there is a viable strategy, thought this happened to only one of the rems I glued.

7. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Keep it as it is? Sure, Vostok has tracked legs, but I'm pretty sure it is capable of walker movement too.
    Pretend it is walking - thus, with one leg in the air.

Alternatively, make it conform to the scenics of the base. If you use flat, basic bases, fashion a tactical rock or something for it to have that one rogue leg stand on it. A piece of plasticard, maybe?

Gwynbleidd and chromedog like this.
  8. UpirLihi

Gluing at tension is something that just feels wrong to me. Like, you don't do that with materials that you don't know the properties of. Admittedly, heat treating materials that you don't know the properties of is not the smartest idea in the world either. Fashioning suitable tactical rocks is the cleanest way, but a bit not newbie-friendly.

9. Errhile

C'mon. Use your imagination :muscle:
    What is the style of your bases? How tall does the "tactical rock" need to be?

A bit of paper will do? Maybe a piece of cardboard? You can paint it as a discarded roadsign / advert / poster / notice board / random piece of trash once you're up to the painting phase.

The only way this is not "newbie friendly" I can see is the requirement of thinking a bit out of the box.

Note: I'm assuming here you're asking for an actual model - sitting on your workbench - you do have a problem with. I'm trying to help you out by suggesting a solution that could work for it, without resorting to tension gluing, heat-and-reposing and other such techniques you don't seem to be confident with...

chromedog, Willen and Gwynbleidd like this.
  10. UpirLihi

Nah, I'm not a genius painter, but I'm fairly experienced with modeling. I was discussing the new REMs from the concept that new Nomad models are branded for C1, which is meant for newbies. So the models should be easy and painless to assemble.

Abrilete likes this.
  11. Errhile

Well, in that case... not something I can discuss.

I have long forgotten how it is to be a newbie regarding models. I mean, the first models (plastic scale models of planes, because that was what was available here at the time) I was building were botched by me somewhere back in the 80's. When I got to wargaming models, I think it was in the mid-90s. And those came without building instructions, if memory serves me. Only a picture on the box showing them buildt and professionally painted. Not that they were overtly complicated or difficult to figure out, to be honest...

Let me make an observation, though. I believe you either overestimate the level of difficulty in building the models in question, or underestimate how clever and crafty potential Inifnity newbies are. Also, from what I've seen, they rarely come as obsessed with perfection as you seem to paint them to be. As in - "one leg in the air? Well, I think it's not a big deal...". Worrying about such details, at least in my experience, comes later.

12. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

I am a high level painter, simply cut one of the legs at the connection point next to the “body” and reglued. Only somebody looking for it would find it when it is primed black down there.

Gwynbleidd and Cthulhu363 like this.
  13. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

I've still not heard from the fella that called me a shill after showing him my twitter pictures of the bloody lovely Vostok I have. I'd also point out at this stage that I've not seen any of his own pictures of bad(ly painted) Vostoks...

14. That is because there are certain people for whom it is not necessary to prove the veracity of what they say, and that is so because anyone who does not think like them is wrong without having the right to prove otherwise, and they are right even if it is proven otherwise. :face_with_rolling_eyes:

Dragonstriker, Mcgreag, saint and 4 others like this.
  15. Dragonstriker

But, he’s had 30 defective Vostoks, he’s too busy to take photos.

16. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

Uneven legs, if you cannot straighten them out, I would raise the base. Make a step/stair, or dare I say, a tactical rock for the leg. A piece or two of plasticard under the leg, usually does it. Paint as debris or something. I get the impression that forcing the SioCast material into position is not going to end well. It seems to enjoy tearing/ripping.

17. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Personally I had this issue with one of the remotes I assembled for my Nomads, I just put glue and held it into position till the glue set, didn't have an issue after that.

18. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

a beyond and a beast pack just arrived and... siocast is ok in this particular case. No bended barrels, no mold lines in bear's face, nothing broken... in first inspection, everything is awesome. Now i have to go to work. I hope when mounted will still be nice

19. infyrana

infyrana Well-Known Member

Great to hear this for a recent delivery. I would really like too see the suspect spots on yours if you're able to sort out some images please? Would surely help renew faith for some of us thank you:)

Gwynbleidd likes this.
  20. Gwynbleidd

Gwynbleidd Non asto coram malo

Nice. Mine still hasn’t arrived… I’m wondering if it’ll ever turn up. Glad to hear there are no issues. I hope mine is the same when it finally arrives. As @infyrana has asked, please post pics when you have time.

infyrana likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation