1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Ya models!

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Henshini, Dec 2, 2021.

1. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

Given the su jian and the design of the prospector and helperbot in tag raid, a bipedal walker REM makes a lot of sense in this faction specifically. But, and I say this as a longtime battletech player and general mech-head, this is not great. I’ve been looking at it for days and it’s not getting any better.

There are mechanical design and weapon design points I could make, but mostly it just looks like an undercooked concept got the green light. Normally I think CB’s designs are impeccable even if I personally don’t care for some part of them, and this is the first thing they’ve put out that looks like it belongs in a different game entirely, and not in a good way.

I think I was hoping for something that looked like a REM built for traversing snow and ice, maybe a little like a yaokong with some snowmobile mixed in and some nods to the combat remote designs. I’m probably gonna have to proxy this one. *sigh*

Dragonstriker and Knauf like this.
  2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Nah, it's well above average for a CB miniature, IMO. Lots of function over form, no creepy stereotyping, no tiny shopping cart wheels that gives climb+, and it breaks the norm of the quadropeds that everyone has. Love it.

3. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

[​IMG]

Triumph, Dragonstriker and nazroth like this.
  4. Mahtamori

Oh yeah, no, I mistook myself. The uncritical group think is definitely right and there is no possibility for people to form and hold a different opinion particularly when the pictures map completely the preconceived expectations 1-to-1 with reality.

bladerunner_35 and Lawson like this.
  5. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

The belt fed guns on the Pangguling broke me (and also they literally broke off a half dozen times while constructing the model until I gave up and threw them away). I'll take a magazine any day if it's a single piece and allows me to magnetize for weapon swaps. It's at least below tactical heels on the list of unrealistic things that annoy me on models :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. YueFei23

YueFei23 Durian Inspector

We just heard that these will be metal rather than Siocast. Might mean a little more time with a razor saw to carve these up and reposition them. I like the idea of putting the groin on top and using it as the gun mount, then maybe hacking the "goofy face" torso apart to make new hips. I think they'd need to be thinner than the ones in @Shango's pic.

I'm convinced that there's a good rem to be made using these parts, but it does look a little half baked to me in the art we've seen. For instance... the over-the-shoulder mine flinging arm looks like it might be better carefully placing the mines on the ground. If it was a mine dispenser, I'd understand it hucking them like that...

7. Amusedbymuse

Amusedbymuse Well-Known Member

Is it confirmed to be metal or just rumored? I want to buy them badly but no way in hell I'll support shitcast by buying anything made out of it.

Rems look decent imo, I'll just have to get rid of that weird thing mounted on their backs.

EDIT:
    From description of Long Ya in CB store.

#47 Amusedbymuse, Dec 15, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  8. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

They do say a picture says a thousand words but you seem to be crafting a persecution narrative from surprisingly little information.

Its great you like them. I just literally don't understand what you might find realistic and functional about them?

chromedog likes this.
  9. Mahtamori

Oh man, I thought the sarcasm would be self-evident, but I guess not. While it's perfectly fine to not like it and to say so, it's bugging me when expressing an opinion goes into the territory of seeking validation.

Realistically you'll get budget cuts preventing aesthetics that aren't part of the design when designed by the military itself. The sleek curves and stuff is what you get when it is a product that has to appeal to a general's sense of self-importance to get access to that fabled limitless government wallet. Just attaching sensors and gear where it is cheapest and doesn't impair function makes a lot of sense rather than spend millions per unit to make an aesthetically pleasing shape that has zero or negative impact on performance.
    So I find the asymmetry and the barebones derpiness very pleasing. Only thing that really bothers me is the faces in places on the codpiece, which looks entirely optional.

10. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

In the US, it's starting to be a bit different. More with police than military, but it's something my friend that sold that equipment called "tacti-cool". Equipment needed to look cool as well as being useful. It's scientist that card more about function over form.

11. Mahtamori

I'm not too familiar with all details of the US military's materiel acquisition, but I'm more familiar with the Swedish military's ditto and here the stuff that is developed more "in house" lacks the tacticool unless said tacticool is specifically derived from function. As far as I'm aware the US military develops less in-house meaning they purchase nearly everything from companies who needs to win the bids by not only accomplishing the fairly strict performance requirements that the US military demands but also by simple marketing.

So in the case of the Pan-O military it makes so much sense to have full on costly tacticool, unnecessary spoilers, sleek padding that serves no purpose other than to hide unsightly machinery, etc. I imagine that Yu Jing develops a lot more in-house then either of the above meaning their more... disposable equipment like the Long Ya doesn't need to look fancy or parade ready.

QuietusEmissary likes this.
  12. Omen

Omen Active Member

I think of the robots from Netflix s new lost in space, when I look at them. I like the sculpts ,,,

13. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Amusedbymuse and Mahtamori like this.
  14. Spitfire_TheCat

Spitfire_TheCat Feel the Wrath of the Miezi-Bot

To be honest, my first thought was that it shares some design element with the Night Hawk. Which is no bad thing IMO.

15. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

Is there any info about the loadouts yet? Looks like we're getting a shotgun and an SMG from the pictures, but I was hoping for additional bits to build two SMGs.

16. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

heavy shotgun, Panzerfaust and SMG, Panzerfaust

Knauf likes this.
  17. Henshini

Henshini Well-Known Member

So, anyone bought one and tried this yet?

18. ldgif

ldgif Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I just opened mine, and it seems like the framework is there for a conversion of that nature to work.

19. Amusedbymuse

Amusedbymuse Well-Known Member

Their weapons are aligned with "faces" in normal setup. Their legs on the other hand have completely different angles. If you put them up and weapons down you might get a bot that looks one way, walks in other way and points gun in yet another.
    Edit: now that I looked at my models it's not that bad in this way. Both would walk in line with their heads. One would point weapons slightly left, the other hard right. Their issue i see here is that weapons wouldn't fit between legs, especially with the one pointing hard right.
    Edit2: after another look. Even if weapons fit between the legs they will probably not fit under their bodies, maybe mounting them upsidedown would help with that.

#59 Amusedbymuse, Feb 1, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  20. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

These are still in metal, right?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation