1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That plastic Vostok...

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by Lucian, Oct 5, 2021.

1. 1337Bolshevik

1337Bolshevik Let them eat repeaters

It will be repacked into a action pack alongside the rest of the nomads from crimson stone and beyond crimson stone. Though given your lukewarm reception of a new tomcat and wildcat, I figure you won't much like the action pack either.

2. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Yes.

3. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

Cthulhu363 and Morray like this.
  4. LazyBrush

LazyBrush Well-Known Member

if you see ALL the pictures in the reddit the mk12 is bended in the middle ,

Mogra likes this.
  5. Pierzasty

This is pretty much the definition of damning with faint praise.

And it seems that the final solution to the miscast question is to commission a reputable contractor to assemble/paint it.

6. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Good point.
    True, you might call my reception lukewarm.

I do own the old Tomcats - doc, engineer and DEP (plus Carlotta). Not intending to add another if I never field those en masse, right?
    I do own the old Wildcats - buildt myself essentially everything there was. So yep, I have the Spitfire (twice, the 2nd got converted into BSG).
    I own enough old Aluaciles (an eclectic mix of 1 and 2 gen. sculpts) to field basically any option.
    I own enough 2gen Intruders to cover my needs.
    Same with Hellcats.

Effectively, I'd need 3 models out of it - Sombra, Evader and the Vostok. The rest would be dead weight I'd need to sell off somewhere.
    Seems to be a pretty typical problem of a gamer with a collection that was gethered for years. But it is difficult to get excited about spending money for the action pack to get just these three.
    Given box-split sellers are drowned in requests for just the Evader & Vostok, I guess I'll have do without them.

So be it.

Elessar and csjarrat like this.
  7. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Yeah, the models aren't "unsalvageable", but with this pic, even aside from the bent Mk12, you can't tell where he had to cut into the geometry, how much putty and resculpting was done, etc - at some point, pretty early to be honest, the amount of work required to bring a Vostok to this state is just beyond reasonable, let alone fun to do.

8. Billy

Billy Member

So my replacement Vostock arrived after the awful original version I got.

The major issues were fixed but to be honest I'm still not happy with it. I won't be buying anymore siocast models and will make do with proxying models I already own.

It doesn't look like a CAD model, it looks like someone has carved bits of it out of clay as the edges of detail are all so soft. The gun is still curved and a lot of the "flat surfaces" are convex. Mould lines are impossible to remove from fine detail due to the way the material frays. The legs were both bent into C like shapes so they don't form an X when put together, then the legs are also skewed vertically so they aren't perpendicular to the ground. Unfortunately also not in a natural way either that looks like walking!

I've managed to clean it up to an ok standard, but it took hours, there's a lot I'm not happy with and it has a toy-like appearance to it? That's the best way I can describe it. It just looks and feels cheap.

God help any mini which has areas which could be backfilled, the siocast murders them and just fills it in. Think overhangs, spaces behind remotes legs, the reverse side of shoulder pad armour, stuff like that. They've also taken a huge step back in terms of hiding mold lines, I don't know if that's a limitation of the mould or a poor design of this particular model.

Tldr; improvement on original model from my pictures, still not good enough to persuade me this is manufacture ready and I should buy more.

9. Nuada Airgetlam

I have only one thing to say...
    [​IMG]

Billy likes this.
  10. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

Boys I just got my Vostok, yes a little late to the party, sorry!

I have to say it's flipping brilliant! Honestly not a thing wrong, and it was a massive pleasure to put together.

I've used a scalpel and Super Glue the head & 'arms' Took about 2 minutes all in to clean and glue. I've removed the mould lines easily with the scalpel and glued the legs in super fast as well. It's now resting on my work surface I'll post pictures later.

I LOVE the metal minis Corvus produce and I can happily say this Vostok is up to their high standard.

Very happy.

Cthulhu363 and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  11. Nuada Airgetlam

= - = ...

[​IMG]

Elessar, Mogra and Billy like this.
  12. Billy

Billy Member

Yup. My thoughts exactly.

The Jackbots were great though so who knows.

Also agree that new post looks Sus to me. Or I have much higher standards than people or my nearly 20 years of modelling experience and skills aren't as good as I think they are... I'm not expecting 1/35 scale tank with brass etchings level of detail either.

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  13. Nuada Airgetlam

Or it's just pure salty sarcasm?

14. Pierzasty

Pics or it didn't happen.

15. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

The mold is similar to the ones used for pewter, two planks of rubber that get vulcanized in a metal frame. Mold line will be along a plane more or less. So maybe staff changed, or the "rubber" is different (needs more force, more manual reshaping, etc).

16. saint

saint Charming, but irrational

My brothers Vostok all assembled. No major flash/mold lines when we got it though he did say there was something malformed on one of the leg pieces that made it difficult to put together at first but it still took him maybe 20 minutes to put together.
    PXL_20211109_105724383.jpg PXL_20211109_105656479.jpg PXL_20211109_105707796.jpg PXL_20211109_105716981.jpg

17. Billy

Billy Member

My uneducated guess would be that the vostocks have been cast flat to the mould, half above and half below the split, so the mould lines run through the faces of armour.

Whereas most of the modern infantry seem to be cast at an angle that the mould line runs through a trouser seam you can't really see, and is very small where you can see it. I have had some exceptions to this but still "hidden" rather than through the middle of obvious detail/armour plates.

18. Billy

Billy Member

But there are major mould lines in your picture? Down the front of all the legs and on the back. Most of them weren't too bad to clean up though, except where they hit detail.

My concern isn't for the Vostock. It's for all the infantry and bearpodes where you won't be able to clean it up cleanly.

19. Nuada Airgetlam

Excuse me, what? :D

Do you even see your own first picture? On the other hand, maybe your modelling expectatios are that low, since you didn't mind glueing the head at an angle... :speak_no_evil:

Elessar, Silas7 and Mogra like this.
  20. Morray

Morray Well-Known Member

Nope not at all @Nuada Airgetlam I'm really happy with the work, it looks really good, and I have high standard for models as I spend a long time painting.

I've attached a shot of Oktavia that I entered and won a painting comp with, so you know I don't fuck around when it comes to painting.

Attached Files:

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation