1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Good Guys Wear Orange - An RTF Blog

Discussion in 'Haqqislam' started by Grotnib, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Grotnib

Grotnib Well-Known Member

It's bee a while since I've last posted an article, but my take on RTF and Classified Objectives is 99% complete! In the meantime, I was hoping to write a Q/A type post in the near future, and now I need your questions to make it happen! So please, if there are any questions you'd like me to answer, post them here or on the blog, and let's see if this goes anywhere!

Happy gaming for the dying days of ITS12 everybody!

Wizzy, Brokenwolf and Cadwallon like this.
  2. Uthoroc

Uthoroc Well-Known Member

What advice would you have for a relative newbie who's been playing vanilla Haqqislam so far, has relied heavily on Camouflage and Saladin as a lieutenant, but wants to give RTF a try? Asking for a friend.

That is, advice beyond your excellent intro article on playing Ramah. E.g. how does the mindset need to change?

Grotnib likes this.
  3. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

Questions:
    1. What ITS missions do you think Ramah excels in and why? What ITS missions do you think that Ramah has weaknesses in or require specific list building requirements?
    2. How much redundancy do you build into your lists?
    3. What are your most beloved units in Ramah?

Grotnib likes this.
  4. Danger Rose

Danger Rose The Wrecking Belles

1. Which are the most reliable ARO pieces available to RTF?
    2. Do you feel RTF has an attrition vulnerability? And if so, any tips on mitigating it?
    3. How many AD/HD troops do you recommend? And in that vein: How to avoid feeling order starved?

Grotnib likes this.
  5. Urist

Urist Well-Known Member

1. How do you best utilize Super Jump, Climbing Plus, and other mobility utility in the army? I still don't quite understand Super Jump rules, and there's a million and one different interpretations on this forum on how it works or doesn't work.
    2. Do you like to bring "Trophy" units? Not necessarily a good unit, but one model that you include in the list because it looks pretty or is fun to use?
    3. What made you want to start a blog?
    4. If you didn't play Ramah, which faction would you have picked instead? Still a Haqq Sectorial? Something completely different?

Grotnib likes this.
  6. Grotnib

This article didn't quite turn out the way I wanted it to, but I can only tinker with it (and thus delay releasing it) for so long without writing the whole thing from scratch... So here's my take on RTF and Classified Objectives! A piece like this is highly subjective and also vulnerable to errors (especially considering the very piece meal writing process it went through), and I'd be happy to hear what went wrong as always!

Huge thank you to everyone who've posted questions for the Q/A article, I'll get cracking on that next! Whether by design or by chance, you've asked questions that play off one another very nicely, and I can already feel the narrative of the text form before my very eyes!

7. theomc

theomc Well-Known Member

Hey @Grotnib I used your Countermeasures list (https://thegoodguyswearorange.blogspot.com/2021/06/in-search-of-wisdom-my-rtf-list.html) in a tournament against Varuna and it got me a 7-0 victory (personal best). :)
    I had no idea what to run for the mission, so checked out your blog and found the list. I made a couple swaps:
    - Khawarij CoC -> Hortlak CoC (I liked NWI and Mim -3, and wanted a Blitzen in case I ran into a TAG or something)
    - Ghulam Hacker -> Ghulam Sniper (oddly, exactly the same Pts/SWC, and the sniper is staple in my core defensive link)
    - Najjarun -> Monstrucker (I like the climbing plus and drop bear options)

Obviously the list did really well. Highlights were suiciding my Muhktar hacker up the board to spotlight his Cutter and then smart missiled it (and his engineer) into the ground, and my little Ghulam Doctor (another staple) breaking out of her link sprinting all the way across the board to heal up Leila to get an objective and get Leila up to hack another day (after my opponent worked REALLY hard to hacker her to death).

Would/will definitely use that list again. Excellent work!

8. Grotnib

Amazing to hear this mate, thank you for sharing! I'm very glad my piece could be of use to you! :) I also tinker around the edges of my lists all the time, and the swaps you made seem really solid!

9. Grotnib

Wizzy and Cadwallon like this.
  10. Grotnib

The time has come to release the Q/A Article that I asked questions for a while back; huge thanks to everyone who made this piece possible by participating!

11. Grotnib

A couple of days from now it's been a full year since the Good Guys Wear Orange blog was begun, so I think this is a good opportunity to pause and take stock of how far we've come! As of now...
    - the blog site has been visited in excess of 17 000 times!
    - the blog's articles have been read a total of 11 000 times!
    - I've released 32 pieces of content so far!
    - I've had a tremendous time writing the blog and engaging with it's readers!

The interest and support that I've received from the community in the past year has been both amazing and humbling - I doubt that I would have been able to keep up the writing with the manifested level of intensity (if at all) without the encouragement I've received from you - so THANK YOU EVERYONE!

I'm excited with what the future will bring for the blog! While the days of posting an article a week are in the past, I've still got plenty of new content in the works, and I'm happy to tell you that not only am I hoping to keep playing the greatest hits (such as a couple of new Unit Focus pieces (thanks ITS13!), new aimed at beginners content and more In Search of Wisdom articles), but I'm also planning on branching out to some new types of content! I'm currently in the process of finishing up my first Battle Report together with @Tanan , I've approached an outside author to showcase their talents and more!

Hope the following year turns out great for everyone reading this! Until the next time - I wish you the very best in leading the Swift and Deadly Spear of the Haqqislamite Army to Victory!

Willen, Ariwch, Danger Rose and 10 others like this.
  12. Grotnib

Just a small update! My friend @Tanan and I have been hard at work preparing the inaugural the Good Guys Wear Orange Battle Report, and we should be ready to publish the result of our labours next week! So stay tuned for the Operation Unrelenting Facade next wednesday!

Tanan, Danger Rose, Uthoroc and 3 others like this.
  13. Danger Rose

Danger Rose The Wrecking Belles

Thank you for all your effort! I agree with your answers and I'm happy to say I'm implementing some of your reccommendations.

I have a new batch of players trying to learn Infinity and I'll take the opportunity to better learn to use Ramah while playing with them. While tbey are new to Infinity, they are all experienced Wargamers and of the competitive sort, so my Ramah Taskforce future seems bright.

Grotnib and Golem2God like this.
  14. Grotnib

I'm happy to hear that! Thank you again for your excellent questions that were partly responsible for making the article possible! :) Good luck to your future battles, Commander! ;)

Danger Rose likes this.
  15. Grotnib

It's time to unveil the first piece in the new After Action Report -series: Operation Unrelenting Facade! This battle report pits my Ramah Taskforce against @Tanan 's Tartary Army Corps in an attempt to tell the story of the game from both sides of the board at the same time!

As this article is more ambitious than most of my previous ones, I'd be very thankful for comments pointing out mistakes or offering suggestions on how to improve the execution of the consept further!

16. Brokenwolf

Brokenwolf Well-Known Member

Thank you for the wonderful Battle report! It is one of the best types as it explains the thought process of each player. The only minor addition could be having an overhead picture of the battlefield with deployment locations and objectives at the beginning of the report. That helps provide the readers a general idea of where the action is occurring.

We appreciate all the work that you did in creating the report and it was great to experience the close nature of the match! Dog soldiers are no joke!

Edit: Thank you for quickly adding the overhead pictures!!

#216 Brokenwolf, Nov 9, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
    Grotnib and Tanan like this.
  17. Uthoroc

Uthoroc Well-Known Member

An excellent battle report, that was great fun to read. Thank you very much for it!

Grotnib and Tanan like this.
  18. Grotnib

Thank you everyone who've read and/or commented on the first After Action Report! The next one is very much being planned, so stay tuned! I can also happily announce that the first articles by a visiting author are in the works, so you can look forward for some non-RTF reading in the near future!

On the matter of regular programming, this week's article sees me take another stab at trying to ease newer players into Infinity and Ramah Taskforce!

As a last note, I was truly humbled by Corvus Belli seeing it fit to include the Good Guys Wear Orange on the Infinity Universe's blog post featuring some of the content creators in the community - a huge thank you to everyone who've helped me along the way by viewing, liking, commenting and criticizing my content, and also hats off to CB for creating and maintaining such a great game!

#218 Grotnib, Dec 15, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Brokenwolf, Cadwallon and CalamarRojo like this.
  19. sololobo

sololobo Well-Known Member

Question:
    - I am wanting to field a four to five heavy infantry. Due to their cost, how do you go about building a list around them?
    - What skill and equipment best support heavy infantry in this meta i.e. are KHDs required to counter HDs? Etc…

Grotnib likes this.
  20. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I'd say, have a Janissary fireteam buildt around a HMG, and/or maybe ML. Add Janissary Doc. After that, it all depends on how many points you can and want to spend on the team.
    For hacking defense, I found the TinBot to be pretty useful.

Grotnib, Danger Rose and sololobo like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation