1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frostbite, activating consoles

Discussion in 'ITS' started by Mogra, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Mogra

Mogra Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have a doubt with the consoles in this mission.

Player A activates the central console and switch on the heater in his DZ.

Can player B use the same central console to activate a different heating unit at the same time the player A heating units gets deactivated?

In the previous version of the mission it was specified you could do so, but not in this one.

Thanks

Screenshot from ITS X
    IMG_20211020_094437.jpg

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Look at the bullet point just above the one you marked.

"You cannot activate more than one heating unit for each console"

Thus: Player B can activate the console, but can not activate a different heating unit. Better get there first!

#2 Mahtamori, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Mogra likes this.
  3. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Sorry guys, but that is a typo in ComLog
    upload_2021-10-20_10-17-55.png

Once a Console is activated, good riddance

Edit: Just checked, that line was removed in the update for ITS13

Mogra likes this.
  4. Mahtamori

Ah yes, and they removed scoring for activating consoles, so it's pointless activating a console without activating more heaters.
    (I don't think that's a good change at all...)

Mogra likes this.
  5. Mogra

Mogra Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, another question.

If the heating unit of the previous example is destroyed, can the center console be used again to activate a new heating unit?

Thanks

6. Mahtamori

Sorry no, it is the act of activating a heating unit that can only be done once. If that heating unit gets destroyed, the console has still activated it in the past so can not be used again.

Mogra likes this.
  7. Mogra

Mogra Well-Known Member

8. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but - what happens if my opponent connects a console and activates the heating unit in his DZ. I then connect the same console. I can't change which heating unit is activated, but does it now become "my" heating unit for the purpose of the "have at least one active heating unit" objective?

Most missions specify what happens if a second player connects an already connected console, but Frostbyte doesn't say.

9. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

That you cannot activate an already activated Console.
    There is no line implying that you can, so you are not allowed to.

chromedog likes this.
  10. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

That's my inclination too, but I'm not sure the logic works to get there. The "connect a console" skill doesn't have, as a Requirement, that the console not be connected. Generally, if you meet all a skill's Requirements then you can declare the skill. Infinity doesn't have negative Requirements, so the logic should be "there's no line implying that you can't, so you are allowed to (as long as you meet all the Requirements)."

Mindwipe's Activate a Console skill has a line prohibiting activating an already activated console. Frostbyte doesn't have anything similar.

Maybe the best argument is that ITSX did have a line allowing a second player to connect an already connected console, which has been removed in ITS13. That logic works for me, but a lot of people don't like to look at the N3 rules to interpret N4.

11. Mahtamori

Keep in mind the rules do not allow you to remove ownership from the opponent's. At best activating the same console again will reward both players ownership of the same heater

12. archon

archon Well-Known Member

My interpretation is: You can only activate one heating unit per console, so if I go first and activate three heating units, I deny me opponent one OP, but give him a warm kitchen. In our latest game, my opponents interpretation was: Every player can activate one HU per console, wich would make up to theoretical six HUs... but prevent the "steal" of one OP.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation