1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed CC=8 on the Automated Defense System in Frostbyte, Season 13

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Whyrocknodie, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Whyrocknodie

Whyrocknodie Well-Known Member

What does the Fixed CC=8 mean on the ADS in the Frostbyte mission?

Does it mean that an ordinary CC roll is made, and no MODs can change the target number for the ADS, or does it mean that the ADS is always considered to have rolled an 8 which is treated as a success?

2. fatherboxx

fatherboxx Mission control, I'm coming home.

I think it is should be read as the latter, a la N3 electric pulse

3. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

The paragraph says it must be a face to face roll, but as a scenery element it does not have a CC attribute with which to make a roll. I think CC=8 would mean it gets sets the CC attribute value to 8. And Fixed CC=8 could mean the attribute is always 8 (cannot be lowered by MA). Therefore, now that it has a CC attribute, it can use it to perform a roll. It does lack weapon and damage, but the paragraph provides it (Stun Ammo against BTS, Damage 15).

I doubt it is like the N3 Electric Pulse. Units who had it got PARA (-3) instead. If it was as simple as saying "Fixed CC = 7" they could have gone with that. Electric Pulse was very wordy, I doubt you can re-enact the effect with the few couple of words used in Frostbyte.

We already know that PH=9 means the PH attribute is set to 9 for Gizmokit rolls. CC=8 looks a lot like using the current N4 rules about setting attributes. To make the distinction that CC=8 means you rolled an 8 while PH=9 does not means you rolled a 9 would take a bigger paragraph than what was provided in the scenario. There is only the FIXED keyword that is new, and too me is related to the "No MODs can be applied to the CC Attack" in that the 8 will not be lowered by MA.

My guts feeling is they wanted to re-enact the Electric Pulse automatic result of 7 (8 here) but rule wise, I can't find that the wording used implies that, especially if you go into N4 rules as a new rule-set with no bias from past editions (hence not knowing fixing the die result was even a thing).

4. Delta57Dash

Delta57Dash Well-Known Member

CC=8 means that their CC score is an 8. See TAGs with Dodge(PH=11).

The ADS rules say that no MODs may be applied, so you can't use Martial Arts against it.

chromedog, Robock and Triumph like this.
  5. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

The word "fixed" must have a meaning, and I doubt it refers to being unable to use MA against it, since the attacker also can't gain the MA bonus (i.e. the attacker's CC is also "fixed"). So my vote is that it's supposed to mean that the console always rolls an 8. But @Robock is right that I'm reaching that conclusion based on N3 knowledge. i.e. my guess is that they intend it to work like the N3 Electric Pulse, but if I didn't remember the Electric Pulse then I'd have no clue what "fixed" was supposed to mean.

6. Muad'dib

Muad'dib Well-Known Member

Is it any clearer in spanish? I could imagine that the word for "unmodifiable" could probably be translated as "fixed".

7. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

The word used in the Spanish version is fijo.

I have to agree that it makes the most sense given the text description to assume they mean to use the HSN3 Electric Pulse style 'the device automatically rolls the fixed value'.

8. Whyrocknodie

Whyrocknodie Well-Known Member

I am inclined to think it's probably meant to be the Electric Pulse thing too. However, enough people are confused by this that we're just going to go with the it rolls against an 8 rule for the tournament. Until an official rule comes along.

Mogra and Hecaton like this.
  9. HellLois

HellLois What the Hell...Lois?
    CB Staff

Its means that in a Face to face roll the ADS gets an 8 in its roll.

A Mão Esquerda and chromedog like this.
  10. HellLois

HellLois What the Hell...Lois?
    CB Staff

I will edit the ITS PDF, but for now, I leave you here the rule modification:

AUTOMATED DEFENSE SYSTEM (ADS)
    Every Heating Unit is equipped with an ADS to avoid tampering with the life-saving heat system. When it is the target of a CC Attack, the ADS will perform a CC Attack where it automatically rolls a result of 8. Any CC Attack made against the Heating Unit will be a Face to Face Roll, even if the Berserk Special Skill is used. No MODs can be applied to the CC Attack. If the Face to Face Roll is failed by the attacker, the attacker suffers a Stun Ammunition hit, forcing them to make two Saving Rolls against BTS, with Damage 15. The Immunity (Total) Special Skill is not effective against this hit.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation