1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New rule suggestion

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by wuji, Sep 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

So alot of us have had various suggestions for units like Shikami and Musashi in the past and we've never really settled on anything. To be fair, that is common for most units in the game but what if we developed a new skill to help certain units get up the field without smoke?

Since Dodge allows units to move if successful but some people dont like the idea of B+1 on high PH Dodgers and also I've thought about the combination of Mov+Mov+ CC Attack for Berserk. Well what if there was a rule called Acrobatic Attack or something that meant the same thing that allowed for a simultaneous Dodge roll and single BS Attack roll. I would think this would also allow for the creation of units that are skilled at dealing with DTWs on corners...

Also, as CB has already done. They can apply a number after the skill name if they believe something in the rolls should be modified for balance or arbitrary reason.

Hope people like this idea as much as I do cause I would love for Shikami and Musashi to have something unique like this to help them advance up the field and not be too vulnerable and this skill could be applied to other characters that are considered ultra agile, like Bran or some of the greek characters. Less reliance on mimetism or smoke in other units too. I could see some Hassassins or Shaolin monks or other YuJing troops getting this treatment.

2. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

3. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

Sure, an active turn MOV on dodge is not enough. And a Face-to-Face roll followed by another Face-to-Face roll vs one ARO will totally not break things any further. Glass cannons need a buff, especially on a 2W models and such. Instead of fixing current problems or inventing new tactics - LETS JUST MAKE NEW SKILLS!

Did you think about it for more than one second? How is that supposeed to work? Is it one roll or two rolls vs one ARO? How a FtF win + FtF lose against one ARO would work?

Oh, I see it now

Kreslack and Cthulhu363 like this.
  4. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Come on :D

5. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

And it can stop here ok?

Ugin, Butterz, chromedog and 3 others like this.
  6. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

My suggestion to anyone making or suggesting new rules is: Playtest it. Get with a friend and see what actually happens. As we all know, things that seem like a good idea on paper or in our head almost never work in practice. After you see how it actually works, then you can make your arguments with data to back it up.

Kreslack, Dragonstriker, Ugin and 7 others like this.
  7. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

I don't love the idea honestly. But boy is it a far sight better than the other shit posts ITT.

8. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

So I think there might be a misunderstanding. I dont mean an attack at full Burst. I mean a single die for the attack and then also a a single dodge roll. Think of the target number differences as attacking two different models and one of them has mimetism. Except here, we're trading the effect of inflicting a would for dodging forward. Game balance wise this wouldnt be anymore effective than any of the visual mechanics in the game or any of the increases in burst.

Also, @WiT? This was not some intent on shit posting. I was just thinking of other ways to play the game that isnt based on applying some modifier to the the BS roll.

9. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

I'm not insinuating that it is. I don't like your idea, but I don't see anything wrong with posting it up. I think we should stick to the regular F2F unless with have a really good reason not to - and templates, while a little annoying in how common they are, are not good enough of a reason to distort the core rule mechanics like this.

It's the next three posts I take issue with. How the fuck is "No." an appropriate response? The one under that whose response is that "it hasn't been thought about for more than a second". Or the spiel of sycophantic and dogpiling drivel that proceeds that.

If this is where the forums are at, I agree with the people that say close it all down.

chromedog and wuji like this.
  10. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Thank you for such a good response. And yeah I dont understand why so many people kind of lose their minds when nobody insulted them.

Let me ask you though. Berserk changes the core mechanics allowing for a double move and then an attack that is made into normal rolls. It is a unique and good aspect of the game that allows for a different dynamic of play. Chain rifles circumvent fave to face rolls. What is it about those mechanical changes to the core game that is acceptable where this is not? For me I see no difference but maybe you see something I don't so I gotta ask ya know

11. Space Ranger

I think I get what you are trying to say. I actually like the idea. But it would need testing to see how it works out.

As you said we already have Move+Move+CC with Berserk. There could be other skills that are similar. Move+Move+Dodge, Move+Move+Shoot. Like Berserk, they need LoF and valid target.

The MMD might need to not include the bonus inches some troops get. And MMS could done with a minus to shooting or only certain weapons could be used. etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

I reckon be very careful about adding complexity without a corresponding addition of depth to the game. Adding a single ability that allows you to F2F using two different stats simultaneously is more complexity and does not add enough to justify its inclusion IMO.

Re; Berserk and Chain, the Move+Move+Attack is actually just "long" Move + attack and doesn't really change anything. The Normal roll does deviate from the F2F roll but not in a complicated way. Direct Templates are not complicated to apply and are rather common ability - the minor increase in complexity is offset by its application in a large number of weapons.

Re; "Move+move+shoot" etc I have no problem with those, just the ones that modify the face to face roll at a fundamental level without sufficient cause.

If you want to run some sort of matrix bullet dodge as shown above, I'd suggest sticking to one stat/one roll. Something like, making a simultaneous attack and dodge using the lowest stat of BS and PH. But even that has the unique element of 'choose a stat' but at least it keeps to the basics of the F2F.

This all reminds me of when I was talking about templates with a PanO player and he was annoyed that he could not shoot his way out of that problem. And then I had the same discussion with another PanO player about smoke. I didn't agree with them and I don't agree with you that something like this is needed.

13. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

I reckon there is space in the game for a dodge that is based around survival and not movement, allowing for a move+move+oppose F2F. As for the MMS it should be pistols only to really grab that matrix vibe. Call it bullet time and I'm all for it.

wuji likes this.
  14. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I assume you want to make what's essentially a CC Attack that also has a Face to Face versus other attackers? I don't think the idea of having units that can both CC Attack and Dodge the target's template is a good idea simply for the fact that templates are (or were, I guess) intended to put a check and balance on assassin units attacking high value targets - no you may not simply run Shinobu up to the Jotums without getting flamed, put some effort into it!

I can see the value in having something that can face to face other attackers, if discussing BS Attacks that require a roll, I guess, but I don't like the separate rolls part and certainly wouldn't want it to be using the CC value.

All in all, I think it's an interesting idea, but even on the face of it it sounds like a more complicated solution to a problem than necessary, in particular when there's only a rare few melee units that actually need some form of buff in this direction. I can think of like... four. Shikami who is close to good already, Kanren who just needs Holoecho to start performing, Taowu who is just weirdly expensive, and Military Orders who don't deserve it -.-;;
    (That's a joke, by the way.)

P.S. Maybe if the attack is made using the Dodge roll (so no massively huge attack values), and predicated on the Dodge' movement actually reaching the target.

@Space Ranger I don't think that scene from the Matrix is an unfair representation of ODD, tbh.

15. Space Ranger

I'm thinking, like Berserk, it's more like a suicide run. Making it normal rolls for you and whatever is shooting at them. You may get some hits but you are probably going to die doing it.

16. darthchapswag

darthchapswag Shandian Strike Team

A big reason Berserk was created and is okay as a skill that tinkers with traditional action economy is that it shores up the age old issue with CC-focused units: getting into CC.

Once you start looking at providing the same benefit to other options that don't necessarily have the same drawbacks (ie. BS attacks), I believe we get into risky territory.

That said I can see an argument being made for CC units to have a skill that allows them to use their CC abilities to avoid attacks with an anime-esque whirlwind of blades. It also helps get CC units with low PH into melee range without relying on mimetism, marker state, and/or infiltration.
    Obviously a straight CC role vs a BS attack wouldn't work but CC Dodge (-6) would be a unique skill on a select few models.

As I write this, however, I realise the N4 rationalisation of skills has pretty much given us it with Dodge (+X).

17. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Yes, this it exactly. And in order to keep balance reduce burst of weapon to 1 and give it only to tested profiles.

Move+Dodge+ BS Attack at B1.
    The Shikami weapons arent overkill the same way it would be if we gave this skill to like a Swiss. This way some units can still be a threat while advancing which is more equal to something that has visual mods and a good gun can walking and shooting. For JSA I think this would be good for Shikami. They have limited linkability and if it's a wild card, the Wildcats troop can simply idle... likewise for Musashi. Who else would this go good on?

18. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Naa, not close combat, I actually rationalize the high cc score as including dodging cc attacks.

And I would only give this skill to troops who are considered highly agile. Shikami are in high mobility power armor and musashi has an advanced body and advanced skills in his head. Kitsune is a regular body with advanced skills, camo and climbing equipment. I could potentially see Achilles having this though... before you say that's OP, remember his BS Attack would be reduced to B1. And yes everyone who is saying test it first, I agree. It just seems like a highly cinematic special skill for a hand full of troops to me.

19. MattB89

MattB89 Well-Known Member

An easier solution to allowing CC models to gt into melee would be to give them Dodge (+1B) on those specific models that need it, give them a higher chance to succeed at a Dodge against enemy AROs.

wuji likes this.
  20. wuji

wuji Well-Known Member

Oooo, wow, that us an interesting take, let m.j e just make sure I'm u understanding correctly.

Do you mean a special skill that changes a BS Attack roll from BS to PH rolls? I imagine this would be like Shikami throwing shuriken or hassassins throwing poison dipped daggers!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation