1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom Token Sheet Creator - Updated for N4

Discussion in 'News' started by toadchild, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Yeah, the Dragunov scope is iconic... but I got a bit of pushback on stuff that was too MOP, and I think that was fair since not everyone would even recognize that shape as a scope - for what it's worth, even as someone who knows what it looks like, I think the fine detail would be a bit hard to re-create on a small token, but maybe I'll make a secret set of tokens just for us military nerds at some point.

2. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Okay here's a test layout of the tokens at 600dpi.
    I believe my print scaling settings are correct (listed on the document) but I'd appreciate if someone had a chance to test them before I call this good. I myself have a 1/2 inch punch and will be mounting these on grey 15mm wooden tokens, so I don't need the outer border (hence the printing instructions), but your mileage may vary.
    File is sized for 8.5x11 inch paper but the image area will print fine on A4 as long as you keep it at a set percentage and don't auto-fit.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s2HsXDa2yGY0AJj4X3f51Ro7caf9ONgQ/view?usp=sharing

Errhile and Koin-Koin like this.
  3. Amusedbymuse

Amusedbymuse Well-Known Member

@toadchild
    Is there any chance you could implement official CB orders (of all kind) and command tokens into your tool?
    I find myself not liking what you have available, but N4 token pdf is full of stuff that Lawson made way better. Also Cb's tokens are out of scale. I'm a complete rookie when it comes to image editing and I just dont know how to extract few different orders and scale them so they would print as 25mm.
    I know it's pretty big request but I might not be the only one who would prefer official tokens for orders.
    Edit: In n3 version you had faction logos available, could they be implemented back?

Daniel Darko likes this.
  4. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I can try looking at the N4 order tokens, but part of the issue is that I wasn't able to use a tool to extract them from the PDF. Being able to do so made the N3 token sheet a lot more manageable.

It all you want are the faction logos from N3, those are still available at the old link: http://inf-dice.ghostlords.com/markers/

Golem2God and Amusedbymuse like this.
  5. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

same here, the file is made of rasters not vectors so no way to extract clean results

toadchild likes this.
  6. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

@Lawson any chance of posting these in a vector format (the newest ones and also the ones already on @toadchild 's site)? I'm having trouble scaling them, mostly because I'm a graphics software idiot, but it would be a lot easier if I could just toss them in Inkscape and scale them to what I need (5/8" without the grey borders).

7. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

I had to use some non-vector elements to build them so they don't work perfectly as vectors but let me try and do the scale for you and then come up with an appropriate workflow that will allow you to do your conversions in the future.

8. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

So just to be clear what you're hoping for is to have the standard game tokens (e.g. Prone, Unconscious, Camouflage, etc.) printable to 5/8" without the grey borders? In addition to the new equipment tokens? The equipment tokens version is fairly straightforward from a scaling standpoint. I can make an updated version that is slightly scaled up to accommodate a larger token output.

For the standard tokens, it will depend on the tolerences of your 5/8" cutter is, but mathematically it would involve scaling the print output from the token generator (either directly from the site or from the saved pdf) to 73 or 74%. I've tested this out and it does result in an area inside the gray border of 5/8" when printed. HOWEVER, there's a catch. Some elements, specifically the numbering on marker tokens and the prone indicator on the unconscious token, among others, as well as the mimetism modifier, intrude into the gray border area. So trimming inside this edge will cut off this stuff. Note that this is not something that I myself invented, but is a part of the CB-created N4 tokens as well.

Here's an example:
    My N4 token on the left and an official one (from Operation Kaldstrom) on the right
    IMG_4852.jpg

So really cropping past this gray area is not recommended - particularly since even under the best conditions, the name text itself is just sliver away from being cut off but an uneven punch. Normally with all printed media you want a 'bleed' area that gives you some leeway (which the gray border accommodates for). Now it would be technically possible to download the pdf from the sheet creator, import it into something like photoshop or gimp, and do a "fill" effect to replace the gray border with adjacent color

For example, if I open some tokens from the creator in photoshop I can do this:
    Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 6.21.37 PM.png
    Note that I've filled the background for the Prone token in gray prior to filling the gray border white, or else the whole field is white and even with the centering hashmarks its a bit hard to see where to punch. This would allow a more reasonable scaling and a bit of tolerance for your cuts. It's a few minutes of manual work but I think it's very do-able. Is this what you're looking for potentially?

Golem2God likes this.
  9. QueensGambit

Pretty much, yeah, though I also plan to play around with the scaling a bit. I'm glueing them onto 5/8" discs, and that's pretty small to be legible at table height, which is why I wanted to remove the grey border to make the inside as big as possible. But I may need to leave some of it in, for the bleed area (I'm not too worried about chopping off a bit of the little numbers around the edges, though I'll see how it looks.

My circle punch hasn't arrived in the mail yet, so this is all somewhat hypothetical. When it does arrive, I think that knowing the scale factor of 73.5% should do the trick. I can start there and experiment with adjusting it. Thanks!

10. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Cool beans, I'll see about creating upscaled versions of the equipment tokens - really I should probably make them as large as 25mm in case anyone wants to go full size, as it's always easier to scale down than up.

Daniel Darko and Errhile like this.
  11. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Errhile likes this.
  12. QueensGambit

Thank you @Lawson !! I've made a bunch of tokens printed in various scales over the past two weeks, and had the chance to try them out today. A few thoughts:

- I had assumed that the token generator generated tokens at exactly the scale specified. For example, that if I set it to print a 25mm token, the outside border of the grey outside zone would be 25mm diameter. Having had some experience cutting them out, I think that's not actually the case - I think you have the bleed factor built in, so that printing at "25mm" produces something intended to be cut with a 25mm punch, so the actual image is somewhat wider than 25mm. It would probably be worth noting that somewhere on the token generator website. I think the problem I was having with scaling was that I thought I was scaling from 25mm diameter, not 26-27 or so.

- Once I figured that out, I found that the amount of bleed you've built in works well for me - not surprising since you obviously know what you're doing! My most recent tokens just take the 25mm output and scale it by 5/8, then cut using a 5/8" punch cutter. I'm happy with the result and will probably stick with that.

- Having played with them, I don't think the tokens actually need to be super legible on the table. Prone is important (and the huge arrows accomplish legibility well), and Unconscious is important (but I usually put my unconscious models on their side so I rarely use unconscious tokens), but most of the rest are fine if they just look like a sort of status blob. Like, if we see some sort of orange token next to your guy, it's probably enough to remind us both the I immobilized him last turn. And if we can't remember, we can just bend over to read the token. So even though 5/8" is pretty small and the grey border makes the image even smaller, the tokens still work well.

- The HD vs. KHD tokens were invaluable just as expected. I had one of each next to each other in a fireteam with identical models, and those tokens were just what I needed. And the various states of Unloaded were perfect for my many Panzerfausts.

Lawson likes this.
  13. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Yeah, there's a little bit of bleed built in - this is an intentional thing, but it never occurred to me to note it.

14. QueensGambit

You guys just didn't think any users would be as ignorant as I am :-)

I only recently got a punch cutter, so for years I've been cutting out my tokens with scissors, and never understood why I had to cut slightly inside the lines to make them fit. I vaguely thought it was something to do with imperfect measurements or scissor width or something.

Abrilete likes this.
  15. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

Here are a couple of example pictures of how the tokens look (or could look) on the table.
    IMG_4999.jpeg
    Here we demonstrate the Vet Kazak is the AP HMG profile, followed by a Line Kazak (Sniper), Kazak Doctor, Line Kazak, and Line Kazak (Forward Observer).

I've cut the tokens with a half inch circle cutter and mounted them on gray 16mm wooden rounds (not including the outer gray border and letting the round stand in for that portion of the graphic design).

IMG_5001.jpeg

Uthoroc, Urobros, Del S and 6 others like this.
  16. QueensGambit

Oh man, ima shotgun that link team.

chromedog and Abrilete like this.
  17. Lawson

Lawson Well-Known Member

18. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Marker sheet tool has been updated with symbiobom and symbiomate. They're under "positive states". That category is getting kind of long, but it made the most sense for now. The other best option might be combining symbiobuddies with tinbots. I'm open to suggestions.

Mogra, Stiopa, Abrilete and 2 others like this.
  19. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

I'd also say this is a good solution

20. crouchingotter

crouchingotter Well-Known Member

@Lawson I don’t know if I even have the right to ask, nor if my ask is even worth the time and effort it would take to produce or even consider producing for that matter.

On the off chance you feel I’m not being selfish, and that it wouldn’t cause you more trouble than it’s worth…

Can you make a Mine token? One with Normal ammo vs anything fancy like AP or Shock.

I think normal Mines might only exist in CodeOne but that’s what I’m playing at the mo and outside of their starter sets, not even CB produce a big standard, boringly normal Mine token.

Here’s an example of a rare sighting of a CB one that exists only in pop-out cardboard form:

45F438AD-25AB-469D-8924-3BA6D8AAC8D2.jpeg

#280 crouchingotter, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation