1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fireteam changes incoming

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Hachiman Taro, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Having an opponent that does not deploy like he has room-temperature IQ

Dragonstriker and eciu like this.
  2. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

I think this forum suffers most from posters with self-inflated sense of their own intelligence shouting at each other as if repeating the same statements will somehow cause a great epiphany in their opponents, and if it doesn't they're just idiots anyway.

On topic

Fireteams have become a crutch for some sectorials, and in some ways the consistent release of *almost* every profile continues to keep *most* vanilla armies very viable, so sectorials need the crutch to match that massive AVA disparity. So needless to say I think a fireteam change needs a pretty decent pass over most of the game's profiles and some pretty solid playtesting. Hopefully, that's why it didn't come alongside the N4 release.

I'm still hopeful that CB will follow up on the digital rule promise and start bringing some more consistent small balance changes to profiles and rules during N4 rather than wait for the next major release. Other than 1-2 FAQ updates, it feels like N4 hasn't moved much, and some of that can be blamed on covid it would be nice to get some impetus moving forward.

3. LaughinGod

LaughinGod Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Love is in the air.
    I agree with @Alphz here, whatever changes to fireteams they implement those have to be accompanied by profile tweaks when the change happens and also in following months when everything is tested more thoroughly. Though, there is nothing so far from CB behavior that indicates they will be willing to make such a commitment and this might be a problem.

Kreslack and Abrilete like this.
  4. Spellbreaker90

Spellbreaker90 Well-Known Member

Fireteam it's the major advantage of Sectorial over Vanilla. A lot of Sectorial doesn't have so many extra profile to be a decisive factor. What I would like it's Sectorial having more extra profile than just Mercenaries or characters, but different profile for their core troops. Example, Vanilla Nomads have few and often obvious Lt. Choice. In this Corregidor being the military part of Nomads could have the old Intruder Lt choice and a Chain of Command on a Wildcat profile. This way even if Fireteam became weaker the sectorial retain a major advantage over the Vanilla.

5. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

We're definitely playing entirely different games.
    Any universe in which whoever has the Active turn is not in the driver's seat (given equal Skill level) isn't the one I appear to exist in.

Pandemic needs to be over for good, so people can go back outside and play actual games.
    One of us has probably started to hallucinate pretty weird things in isolation. :upside_down_face:

#145 Teslarod, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  6. fatherboxx

fatherboxx Mission control, I'm coming home.

TTS tables are usually pretty dense and proper tables for Infinity allow safe deployment just the same

(and re: topic of the thread, dense tables solve most issues with opressive linked ARO pieces, as I've said earlier)

#146 fatherboxx, Sep 8, 2021
    Cthulhu363 and Zewrath like this.
  7. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Yeaah.. You're probably right on that.
    Saying you just shoot a Bearpode in his deployment with a linked HMG (and implying positive rangebands) or even with a Spitfire, while simultaneously pretending camo markers are somehow being played on a 2-D table, where elevation is not a thing, sure sounds like someone is reaching a state of fever dreams.
    Who knows. :thinking_face:

8. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

In his defense that actually might be straight up what's happening. I have been seeing some fucking horrid tables consistently popping up in facebook groups over the last few months.

nazroth, Tourniquet and Zewrath like this.
  9. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

LMAO! :joy: Me and my friends were JUST talking about that yesterday over Discord, while playing Warzone

Edit: My friend made a joke about people being so used to TTS during the pandemic, that they've forgotten how to set up tables IRL

#149 Zewrath, Sep 8, 2021
  10. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

We’ve had a couple of big events here, and it’s been interesting to see the contrast between our locals who have and haven’t done much on TTS.

And in a bit of a side note, both the CO Krug and AZ Armageddon that’s upcoming really pushed terrains rules/zones on the table. Krug had a raffle for everyone who included terrain rules/zones on their tables, and Armageddon will have terrains rules/zones on every single table. Get some mileage out of those skills you pay for…

#150 A Mão Esquerda, Sep 8, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    Cthulhu363 likes this.
  11. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

I mean... that's why I never ever leave the house without a solution to rooftops.
    9/10 times it's a C+ Attack piece like Dart, sometimes it's a table based solution (ladders/stairs being available) or a Sensor + ZOC Attack vector combo in case the army has bad/no selection of to mobility pieces.

To me verticality is for the most part just exctra movement distance to cover instead of a real obstacle. Helps if the other guy meets you halfway with Infiltration.

You can't rely on the HMG being able to do that alone (with positive Rangebands). Never said anything HMG specific. Pretty sure I listed a whole bunch of weaponsA Link with HMG/Spitfire, Multirifle, Shotgun/CC potential on the other hand? Pretty good odds - unless the other guy is hiding his S6 assault piece that has to cross the board Prone on a rooftop (which means whatever I'm using has to be able to tank a DTW). A Bearpode hiding on a rooftop, ARM5 Total Immunity or not, gives me the opportunity to kill it when it tries to get down from there.
    Same thing when Ariadna goes first, any piece they want to use has to get close, cover any vertical distance to get to me, reveal or tap into their Order pool to recamo at the end.
    Alternatively it works fine if your SWC weapon itself has C+ (or 6-X SJ). Zeta, Tik, Karhu, Xeodron, Sphinx, Tarik, Seraph, Guija, Hollowmen.... there's a quite a few options here I'm taking for granted everyone knows about.
    But ofc that might be overestimating the average player who didn't build their lists the way I do and ends up facing a massive obstacle.

12. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

So... you spend all your time babbling nonsensically about links or big pieces rushing for the Ariadna DZ (literally describing the worst approach imaginable against said army), only to flip a 180° and go 'Ackshually! I'm using dedicated anti-camo units while having most of my army static (as I should do) aaaall alooong!'

Yeesh..! The second-hand embarrassment from reading this though...

Anyways, let's follow through on your suggestion and get back on topic.

13. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

So why do vanilla factions have an advantage over sectorials absent fireteams? Is it typically just the amount of cheap midfielders they have access to?

toadchild likes this.
  14. fatherboxx

fatherboxx Mission control, I'm coming home.

More synergies
    Best unit choices for every chosen category
    No fireteam means no order-generators clustered in a 8" bubble
    Every new/reworked sectorial means new units for vanilla (sorry panoceania and MO)

15. nazroth

nazroth 'well known Nomad agitator'

Whereas sectorials tend to have some drawbacks like a lack of solid cheap fuel providers, or lack of MSV, or lack AVA on dedicated skirmishers - Vanilla usually have it all sorted out. Yes, you don't get that sweet +3 BS, you're also relying more on on Coordinated Orders, but fck me you have a cornucopia of goodness to choose from. Take Nomads for example: Zeros + Morans + Riotgrrls + Puppetica + Chimera + Fiddler + Interventor... plus some ATK pieces...

16. Ceilican

Ceilican Well-Known Member

So, yeah, this.

I went from playing sectorals exclusively to playing Vanilla Combined Army. For how I play the game, it worked out pretty well.

As a sectoral player, I typically went with "castle" fireteams. One mega piece + four chumps that I hide. A lot of folks do this in my area. Since it's so common, folks typically work up a way to deal with that...hiding from the shooter piece, attacking the chumps obliquely, whatever.

The castle still works. It's still good. But being able to spread my chumps around helps, and my mega pieces can be dead hard. It changes the texture of the game slightly in a way that works with my style. I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

That said, I do wish there were more bonii available. Targeted and Range Bands are fine, but I'd really like to be able to get some +12 going.

17. taxites

taxites Well-Known Member

I guess this is where someone post a popcorn meme, or says 3..2..1..thread closed. Its not really fun or funny anymore tho. I've got to have my head examined coming here looking for some kind of insight to the game i love while knowing a dude like this Nuada dude could be trollin around on here. Sheesh, youre a real stick in the mud bro.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  18. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

This one in particular is not exclusive to vanilla; nobody’s making you take a fireteam.

Mahtamori likes this.
  19. taxites

taxites Well-Known Member

That's an intersting point. I play mostly NA2 and keep telling myself im gonna try druze or ikari with no links. I can't ever seem to man up when the tires hit the road tho..

20. Rejnhard

Rejnhard Well-Known Member

Why would you play a sectorial then? (aesthetics aside)

Elric of Grans, LaughinGod and Lesh' like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation