1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving MO

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by Arkaon1125, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Arkaon1125

Arkaon1125 Well-Known Member

While trying new sectorial in PanO i want really to improve my MO skills, since is the Sectorial i love the most.
    In my meta ( i do not partecipate in tournament and i only have one friend that play, and he use only Steel Phalanx)

Last list I played (unfortunately i lost the army builder code) but was basically a core of croiser with Santiago Sptifire in it. An Haris of Teutonic (Spitfire) warcor and tech bee, two trinitarian with sniper and a black friar with albedo + multi rifle.

I did quite good until his Sniper (Atalanta) began sniping and pinning me down. I did not have luck with my Trinitaria, (he protected Atalanta with his smoke from the myrmidon fireteam) nor with the Black friar Sniper or Albedo.

While i totally love the Haris of Teutonic ( think is the best firteam we have in my opinion, comparing price/effectivnes) what can i improve? How to Handle a such good Sniper as Atalanta? Or stop an Ajax to become a real problem in CC, or the whole Myrmidon fireteam?
    Thanks for the help, i need to undertsand probabli the tactics that hide beyond some meachincs, but i would love to learn!

2. Keith

Keith The Raven Lord

Hello and welcome! I play MO and have played many other factions/sectorals. MO is my main though. And I have a buddy that played vanilla Aleph and I ran into some similar issues. He used Atalanta and Myrms is a similar way. She’s a beast. And she can be hard to uproot.

Here’s a couple suggestions. This is where knowing your opponent comes in really handy. Deployment is key. For example. If you win the LT roll, choose deployment, make him set up on the side that has less appealing sniper positions. That way Atalanta will hopefully not have a huge amount of board control. And maybe give you options for a safer approach up the board. If you can ignore her, do so. If she has to be taken out, use something like a coordinated attack using a command token. She’s vulnerable to surprise attack so if you have a couple trin snipers in that attack, if she targets one of them she’ll suffer a little. But the point is, she can only shoot one, or dodge. You only need one wound to get her out of commission. It can really catch her off guard. If he goes first you can try to bait Atalanta with a juicy target and then set up some hidden snipers that also have LOS. Make her deal with more AROS than she has burst.

As for CC, you have a lot of options for things that can stand their ground. But also, you can try to outrange threats like Ajax before they get to you. Also, using units like peacemakers to force bad decisions like, shoot or dodge when either answer can have bad results for him due to flamer bot. And have a hacker that can hack through the repeater to slow down and possibly immobilize or isolate big threats like that before they come around the corner and smash face with hammer. XD
    These are some tactics I’ve used that seemed to work well.

Arkaon1125 and Urobros like this.
  3. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Well-Known Member
    Warcor

So without too much knowledge of what exactly happened, but if he blinded you to Atlanta, he blinded Atlanta herself. Your MSV will see through regular smoke and eclipse will blind you both removing her power. The black friar with albedo is an excellent counter to her. She has no way of dealing well with the invisible shooter, either shooting with a nasty penalty or dodging on a mediocre ph. Another fantastic thing to make her go away is what you should do with any and all super snipers: coordinate orders. Getting several panzerfausts and other guns trained on her means you may sacrifice one model, but you should be taking her out of the picture. Sometimes you have to trade.

Myrms can be a headache and you need to remember that PanO still isn't great at the CC game, its just not as awful as it was. Your melee is primarily defensive and you should look to make CC unappealing or too much of a toss up for you opponent to really want. They have a fantastic ph, but if you throw down mines everywhere, you will slow their progress and cause issues none the less. Regular myrms aren't very strong once you take away their ODD with MSV2 from the Black Friar and if you can spring traps with your trinitarians dropping say a template from a shotgun or surprise sniper, even better.

Ajax will be a little tough, but he's mostly a rock. Hacking or just shooting pressure will break him especially if you can catch him out of cover. He's part of the new breed of super melee that is running around so dont bother trying melee unless he presses you into doing it. Now that he has mimetism his shooting isn't too shabby, but he lacks range. Shotguns can give him issues too especially from knights. If he dodges, you pump shells into him, if he shoots, you drop templates. A boarding or heavy shotgun would tend to work best. A unit that can really put the screws in him is the peacemaker. If gives a hacking net and it can shoot at a +6 and put down a template at the same time.

Time Bandit and Arkaon1125 like this.
  4. Urobros

Urobros Well-Known Member

Hello,

for what you said: "no luck with the black friars", you pretty much get it. You were using good tools against Atalanta, the albedo one at least, the snipper version is another thing.. same burst, if the Aleph player is using the "total reaction" or only +1B if it is using the regular version. 2 shoots to 13s against 1 to 18 it isn't the best face to face roll you could try.

You are in reactive turn...

Ajax, Mirmidoms, and pretty much any other profile which go forward and try to catch your "half table".

Peacemaker... if you are having problems with units like Ajax, try to place one or two Peacemakers on the board + one hacker. Remember now the drones can go prone. The hacker isn't mandatory, but it could help a lot. Try to place the drone where only can be see when some enemy "turn around the corner", but previously he had have to take care of the "peacemaker little friend with heavy flamethrower". Yes, Ajax have a really really good dodge skill, but while he is in "doge mode", Ajax isn't killing you. The thing here is that if you can place the "peacemaker+auxbot" in some way Ajax, or somebody, have to deal with the "repeater range band" and the "template" at the same time, you could use your "hacker" to isolate Ajax. This put Ajax in a bad situation no matter what. Of course, you can't protect all your half table, but it helps a lot. Later, you can do use of "spootligh" or "carbonite", if you manage to isolate + (spootligh) or (carbonite), the only way Ajax could scape from there is thanks to an engineer, because isolated state applies -9 to reset and the other two states provides -3, -9-3=-12 Ajax has VOL 12, so, he never could "be free" by himself. If your enemy do heavy use of mirmidons, peacemakers are too a good tool: you can use the heavy shotgun profile, templates are allways good, and if in range you get +6 to BS. Plus, if you play too a hacker, spootligh can be done against any troup, if "targeted" you will get +3 to any shoot against the targeted troup, so, suddendly mirmidons don't have mimetism -6 but -3, same applies to Ajax, mimetism -3 become 0 ;)

If you are playing this "approach" usually is best to "hacker" something in reactive turn, because in active you could expend too many orders and get nothing. Remember isolated, targeted, imm-B are states which remains in game until "something" removes them: engineer, reset, etc. Later in your turn you could take advantage against the "troups" with states.

Remember you can place D-Charges against imm. troups without rolling dices... If ajax or some other HI it is imm-B and isolated, you only need to go with your trinitarian with D-Charges and try one or two times and watch how your rival go "in dispair" while see how "that amazing troup" become "popcorns".

Remember... what works against Ajax, works practically against all the other units... "better" ;)

Other things...

"Heavy flamethrowers and/or templates", you have some interesting profiles with template options. Not only peacemakers.

Scort Order Seargents: auxbot + hacker for 22 points. If your enemy isn't waiting for this little guy and the peacemaker network... He will never forget.

Shotguns... Teutonics with lightshotgun in haris are pretty much amazing, you can try trade pieces. If your knight don't have any wound, probably you will go only uncounscious, so later you could try to "wake up" via "medikit".

Crosiers "blitzen+E/M mines"... if some myrmidon moves in the distance, you could place a mine. E/M mines are big enemies of anything except those with "total inmunity" or "veteran rule", rest of the world, 2 save rolls against PB/Half or goes isolated... please, put me a lot of these in the bag.

Blackfriar with HRL + five member fireteam should be a problem for any myrmidom, Ajax... Only Atalanta could do some damage, but it will be allways a risk to change shoots between Atalanta and this guy, 2 shoots to 16 vs 2 shoots to 18s... Not good enought to me.

Atalanta

if he play atalatan as a hunter in active turn, then don't left anything at view. If you are using things as mines, peacemakers to protect you, probably you will be fine even when he tries to launch "ajax", or similar profiles, because you didn't left nobody looking.

Active Turn.

Of course, if your rival places smoke in a place where atalanta remains "cover" by it you could have a problem, but you have too the tools to deal with it.

Some considerations:

In order to place the smoke and cover atalanta, your rival should place the myrmidoms a little exposed... the problem here I think is if you shoot with someone without visor, then he has a really good roll while you have a bad one with high burst... If you try with someone with visor, he will place the smoke "for free", and you will have to deal MV against MV... if you win all we be allright, if not, you will have a problem. Usually, when people play this kind of strategy have a tendendy to place the snipper top of a building, tower, etc. Remember that smoke "don't" go over the cobert, so probably your enemy can't protect all the sides with one smoke granade. So... if you can place a couple of alfpha strikes, for example teutonic + spitfire in one side, and sepulcre hmg in the other, you can force the enemy to place the smoke in one side, probably even hidden the myrmidon with smoke behind. So, when smoke is place, you could go for the other side and shoot Atalanta. Yes, she is really good shooting, but 2 or 1 shoot to 18s isn't so good at it looks when you shoot with burst 5 to BS13 and in range or burst 4 to BS14... ". Yes, she can have a 17s, so you will have to go for the critical hit, but this happens not only against atalanta but against any good ARO piece.

Regular smoke... you can do use of the "blackfriar" with HRL in a five member fireteam, I will try to catch her outside the smoke with some other profiles: sepulcre, teuton spitfire... but if you can't do it, this guy shoots burst 3 to BS16 against burst 1/2 to BS18... it isn't the best, but the gap while rolling isn't too high and you have better burst.

Try to catch Atalanta in the 20-40 range band with some spitfire... this will do your live easier. Don't forget about "cautious movement" and the MOV 15/5 from yours teutonic knights... ;)

If all of this is too complicate because a lot of reasons... "board settings", "confidence", "other ARO pieces"... You should have read about it before, because all the people before me have said about it... "coordinated order". You have some people with panzerfaust and profiles with high CD and 2 wounds... If you have your doctor close and his "palbots" you could do coordinated order with, for example, 2 teutonics with panzerfaust+teutonic spitfire + sepulcre hmg, the spearhed will be the guy with higher burst and BS... If this ins't works... Your rival probably will be a lucky one ;)

Dart... you can play Dart as the Aleph player can do. Dart is really good taking "care" of profiles like "atalanta" in the snipper nest. If he places smoke, then you can run against her, if she do "discover" you will take covert with your next movement. If "discover" has success, then you will recamouflage Dart and cotinue.

Dart is even a tool against Ajax... you can take his back and launch him a E/M granade with "surpresive attack". Probably one shoot to 16s against dodge to 10s... If you hit him, he should do two saving rolls with PB/2, so, he saves to 11s+... once Ajax will be imm-B + isolated you can shoot him without danger until he is dead ;) Remember -9 VOL -3 imm-B=-12 VOL12-12=0... Ajax will do "nothing".

Best regards.

Arkaon1125 likes this.
  5. Ayadan

Ayadan Knight of the TAG Order

If you are playing the Crosier FT, you should also consider to put one with the MSV2 and the Spitfire in it. This guy is quite strong against SP up until your opponent reach a certain level.
    SP and MO, at the moment, are like two nemesis in a balanced battle. We both have things the other has a hard time to deal with.

Savnock, Arkaon1125 and Urobros like this.
  6. Wizzy

Wizzy Well-Known Member

There was a video of the channel Ryanj4043 on this subject, here is the indexation of his video.

Infinity: 14 Units In Military Orders That Could Be Improved

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation