1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infinity puzzles

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by QueensGambit, Aug 23, 2021.

1. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

Someone recently posted about a podcast which presented an Infinity puzzle - they gave a game scenario and invited the listener to try to find the best play. It sounds like a great idea for the forums.

Here's one from a game today:

test.png

You have first turn, and deploy a fireteam Core as shown in the diagram. Your opponent counter-deploys Andromeda with LoF to your Asawira. You estimate that they are inside 8" (represented by the large circle in the diagram). At the end of deployment, your opponent uses a command token to put Andromeda in suppression.

What's your play to deal with Andromeda? You have no other units in a position to help, other than a guided missile bot elsewhere on the table. Consider order efficiency, likelihood of success, and degree of risk to your own pieces.

There is no one right answer. There is at least one wrong answer: the play I made at the table! I've since thought about what I think is probably the best play, but others may disagree. Part of the purpose of the exercise is to see if players have different ways of solving a problem and to identify the pros and cons.

Methuselah, Ashtaroth and Xagul82 like this.
  2. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

I think step 1 should be to break fireteam and then throw a Spotlight to force her out of suppression. If you're not 100% confident you can get within ZoC behind the box you could always shoot a smoke grenade first.

AssaultUnicorn and QueensGambit like this.
  3. SpectralOwl

Spec-firing the GL on Normal mode could work too, to force a Dodge, followed by a Ghulam or Barid (especially the HD, if it can sneak around that left side) using their rifle. Spec-Fire's a little less efficient than Spotlight, but it is safer- I've seen over-infiltrated Dasyus and the like taking advantage of Andromeda's perceived isolation before.

4. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Good diagram, lays out the problem scenario well.

A lot depends on the rest of what I want from the turn but assuming I have a game plan that either needs the link to do something - or orders spent on other models doing things - then in the interests of expediency I'd quite likely be willing to just activate the core link with the Asawira leading.

If she AROs with suppressive fire it's a serviceable face to face roll (especially if you can leave 8" by walking back along that piece of cover); if she AROs with a CC attack you can CC attack back and have the advantage. It's risky but also resolves the problem of having the Asawira trapped inside her danger area quickly. Frankly, I'd be most concerned about her Zapper.

If I don't have a plan that needs orders elsewhere and have the luxury of spending orders to solve the problem, break the link and kill her with guided missiles. I'd probably budget about six orders. If I'm being especially cautious and aren't confident in those ZOC areas in the diagram, I use the NCO order first to confirm andromeda's position as hackable from behind the wall and also potentially get smoke down.

(All this assumes of course I don't have a daylami in the midfield to walk up behind her with a shotgun.)

#4 RobertShepherd, Aug 23, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  5. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Would you break the link first and fire on 5s, or fire on 8s and take a d-charge or zapper to the Asawira?

6. Hecaton

New Andromeda *would* be an interesting addition to the game if Guard didn't exist.

7. SpectralOwl

Split the link- though without a complete picture of the map and other units it's hard to tell. If the opportunity existed I'd actually just move the Guided ML bot into a direct firing line, even taking a few orders it's better than dealing with Andromeda up close. That's outside the spirit of the puzzle though

RobertShepherd likes this.
  8. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

Is this a supposed to be a difficult question? Asawira has LSG, the weapon of the gods.
    --> Aswawira moves to total cover and shoots Andromeda 3 times autohitting each time.

Aswawira
    90.89% Aswawira inflicts 1 or more wounds on Andromeda (0 W)
    57.48% Aswawira inflicts 2 or more wounds on Andromeda (Dead)

Andromeda
    47.25% Andromeda inflicts 1 or more wounds on Aswawira (1 W)
    11.21% Andromeda inflicts 2 or more wounds on Aswawira (Unconscious)
    1.44% Andromeda inflicts 3 or more wounds on Aswawira (Dead)

I guess if you don't try to do anything else during turn 1, then you could guidebot Andromeda to death using 2-4 orders.

9. Hecaton

Is this counting Andromeda using Guard with a D-Charge? I don't think so.

10. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Vulnerability (Total)

Andromeda has guard+d-charges, so the damage returned on your Asawira is way out there Tanan.

I'd break the link, spotlight with Barid and guided.

If the asawira declares shoot it is likely to eat a D-charge, I think the suppressive fire is a trap. Vs guard it will be hitting on 8s vs Andromeda's 24s.

The only problem is this could burn a few orders...

11. Xagul82

Xagul82 Well-Known Member

AP Spitfire Assawira has a Nanopulser and a Pistol so I guess that would not work...

Breaking the link Spotlight and then coordinating some of the members of the former team may be an option?! She can't split Burt's in aro. Worst case she kills one model.

12. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

My bad. Read as AP Spitfire as AP Rifle. Also forgot Guard. Perhaps there is more to this.

Probably removing Asawira from link and then guideboting her is the most efficient and safe answer.

I think this puzzle would be more interesting if there were no guidebots.

#12 Tanan, Aug 23, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  13. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

If minimizing damage was the primary interest, break the link, move the Barid hacker close enough to be in ZoC while remaining behind cover and hack with spotlight. Hammer with Guided missiles.

Alternatively, NCO Ghulam should be able to break the link and position himself to be able to get a smoke grenade in front of Andromeda without entering LoF. At which point, utilize the now independent Asawira's stealth to loop around and open up on her backside. Ideally, you want to place the smoke just far ahead that if she does decide to dodge into the smoke, she'd move into range of the Barid hacker and you can go right back to the guided fire strategy.

SpectralOwl likes this.
  14. M - just M

M - just M New Member

Great topic and great diagram, very good illustration!
    I suggest an addon to @RobertShepherd plan.

Break the link, use Ghulam NCO to check hack range and put smoke on the asawiras position without blocking the central corridor completely.
    Put spotlight on andromeda to force out of suppression.
    If she succesfully resets, reform the link with asawira asleader and move him to the left and downwards so he leaves the smoke out of guard and zapper - range. He will be without cover, but the odds should be more order efficient than spotlighting plus guided missile.

Active Player
    69.12% Custom Unit inflicts 1 or more wounds on Custom Unit (Unconscious)
    36.79% Custom Unit inflicts 2 or more wounds on Custom Unit (Dead)

Failures
    24.92% Neither player succeeds
    Reactive Player
    5.96% Custom Unit inflicts 1 or more wounds on Custom Unit (1 W)
    1.17% Custom Unit inflicts 2 or more wounds on Custom Unit (Unconscious)

2+ 1 0 1
    Active Model
    • Processed arm values: 1
    • Base BS of 14
    • Cover grants -3 BS
    • Cover grants opponent +3 ARM
    • Link Team grants +3 BS
    • CH/ODD grants -3 BS
    • Range grants +3 BS
    • Link Team grants +1 B
    • Net BS is 14
    Reactive Model
    • Processed arm values: 2
    • Base BS of 12
    • Range grants +0 BS
    • Net BS is 12

RobertShepherd and Tristan228 like this.
  15. Ayadan

Ayadan Knight of the TAG Order

My take is : Break the link, Cybermask your KHD, move until the building Andromeda is against (this is two orders). She has only one time to decide if she wants to break the suppression to discover you or not. You don't give a f..k if she dodges or discorvers or nothing, move in her back and unleash three unopposed shots in her back. Even if she survived and turn around, she can't see all your guys at the same time and it's now just a matter of time and unopposed shots.

RobertShepherd likes this.
  16. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

What else did you play in your list? Hassassin Bahram nomally has some good stuff to take care of such nuisances.
    But concerning this situation with thesr particular Troopers I'd cancel the Fireteam, use the NCO Ghulam's Special Skill and try to smack some smoke on Andri. If that worked I'd reform the Fireteam and commence the mission. If not the Barid will have some work to do.

17. Xagul82

Xagul82 Well-Known Member

@QueensGambit : what was your play (you mentioned it was the only wrong way of approching the problem)?

18. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

Another solution
    1) Break link, put smoke between buildings so that LoF between Andromeda and team is blocked, but Andromeda is outside of smoke template. Ghulam NCO moves out of Andromeda ZoC. (1+ order). At this point Andromeda should probably dodge on PH12-3, but let's say that she doesn't try that because that scenario gets complicated.
    2) Reform link
    3) Entire link moves moves, Aswarina moves to the right side of his building and gets LoF to Andromeda. (1 order)
    4) Aswarina shoots Andromeda outside of ZoC and in cover 5xBS11 vs 3x9 (1+ order)

Order cost to kill Andromeda: 1 CMD token, and 3-5 orders one of which is LT order.

The guidebot solution is comparable to this solution except Andromeda can't complicate the situation by Dodging. If you want to push your luck, the Barid Hacker can (after 1st unsucceful hacking attack) go for 3x12 vs 1x9.

#18 Tanan, Aug 23, 2021
  19. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

I would go with Berserker (+3) with the Asawira.
    Andromeda is in LoF and is supposedly in ZoC.

Asawira rolls CC 23 +3 for Berserker +3 for MA2 (for a total of 29)
    Andromeda rolls 3x BS 12 -3 for MA2 or
    Andromeda uses the Zapper or
    Andromeda Dodges on a PH 12 -3 for MA2 or
    Andromeda rolls CC 21 (MA nullifies each other) reducing Asawira to 26.

Have fun with that...

fatherboxx likes this.
  20. fatherboxx

fatherboxx Mission control, I'm coming home.

First good answer in the thread provided limited conditions
    (though I like yolo double nanopulser trade too - although getting zapped sucks in a faction without engineers)
    Andromeda doesnt even reduce Asawira CC because it is not a FTF - and unfortunately Asawira's MA also does not affect smgs (the correct answer for Andromeda is zapper anyway)

#20 fatherboxx, Aug 23, 2021
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation