1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anaconda - any gooda?

Discussion in 'StarCo' started by theomc, Aug 17, 2021.

1. theomc

theomc Well-Known Member

What are Starco player's thoughts on the Anaconda? I've never really given it a second look, because it felt like the "poor man's Iguana" and the Iguana sucks...

But it IS Starco's ONLY AP Spitfire (w/ +1 damage), which seems like a REALLY good gun in N4 (plus a panzerfaust backup), and it is pretty darn cheap for TAG...

2 Wounds though... (I know the pilot gets to eject, but other than not losing points, he barely feels like a consideration)

2. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

I played it a couple times, feels like an over-sized Brigada. Which is not bad, gives us firepower, kindoff, but at the same time is very big, difficult to hide, etc (it is a S7 TAG after all). I feel it would more reasonable as Gecko-sized.

3. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

Objectively speaking, no, Anaconda is not a good TAG. It has proper firepower, but it lacks staying power, with effectively STR NWI (i.e. it takes one hit and is OK, it takes a second hit, and it no more).

However, for a TAG, it is cheap.
    As in, as cheap as a Corregidor's Gecko. Which means your opponent will have to treat it as a TAG, and spend resources on getting rid of it. Which means these resources are, likely, unable to counteract your other models at the same time. So - take it, use it, expect to lose it - and plan accordingly.

Cadwallon and Pierzasty like this.
  4. theomc

theomc Well-Known Member

That was part of my thinking too. For the same points a Gecko gets equivalent weapons (probably better, actually), one less armor, but one more STR (which is 'UUUGE!). And in CJC at least, way better link options.

Seems to reinforce my basic philosophy of "If I want to play TAGs and Remotes... CJC. If I want to play characters... Starco (esp. with the addition of Fiddler)

#4 theomc, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  5. Errhile

We're talking StarCo :P
    Now, forgive me being nitpicky, but Gecko is close to having two STR more.

How?

Well, when a Gecko loses its 3rd STR point, it goes Unconsciuos - it can be repaired by an Engineer.
    When Anaconda loses its 2nd STR point, it goes away in a puff of smoke. No Engineering for it.
    Which is why I hardly ever bothered repairing the Iguana, too (save for an odd EMP hit): simply not worth the effort most of the time. But oyu can adjust to that in your way of listbuilding, and use Anaconda as a throwaway piece, rather than planning to have adequate support for it.

Willen and theomc like this.
  6. theomc

theomc Well-Known Member

So you're saying the Anaconda is even more garbage than I thought..?

7. Errhile

You're the only one who knows what you thought.

As I said, it is not an, objectively speaking, a good TAG.
    At the same time, it is, definitely, the best TAG in StarCo's arsenal, if by the (dubious) virtue of being the one and only TAG they have access to.

IMO both Anaconda and Iguana are heavily punished by the Escape System mechanics - the way it works (what I described as being pseudo-NWI). Point for point, I feel especially Anaconda to be a little too expensive for what it brings to table (Iguana has the Repeater, plus the operator wears HI armor, so they remain a viable threat for a while longer that Anaconda's LI operator).
    Don't get me wrong, the idea of a "crumbly" light TAG with an operator who remains actually useful after dismounting out of a destroyed TAG is interesting. The way it works in Infinity rules, well, is not good IMO. That being said, I have no suggestion on how to fix it, save for cutting the price even more. Which ain't an interesting solution...

Cadwallon and Time Bandit like this.
  8. theomc

theomc Well-Known Member

I think the Ej. system got nerfed too hard in N4. In N3 at least you could reposition to someplace possibly more useful (or just GTFO and not give your opponent the points). As it is now the operator basically gets left twisting behind a wisp of smoke...

9. kghamilton

kghamilton The_Omnishambles
    Warcor

I built this list tonight as I’m keen to try it
    Basically it takes the anaconda and duos it with the hacker MB for that -6 firewall
    No idea if it’s any good

g4kGc3RhcmNvFkFuYWNvbmRhIGR1byBhbmQgY29yZSCBLAIBCQGBfgEFAAKBlQEBAAOEMAECAASELwEBAAWBKAEKAAaBKAEBAAeBLAECAAiBfgEJAAmBkAEGAAIGAXoBBAACegEBAAOBlAECAASBnAEBAAWA7AEBAAaA8AECAA==

10. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

Yeah, because of the nature of the 2W+insta death of the Anaconda, plus de upgrade do Brigada armor and speed, I have difficulty not thinking an HMG Brigada team would actually do better, especially backed by a linked Dak. Sorry Ani, you will still look cool in my shelf as Jack Stallion #2.

11. Tourniquet

Tourniquet TJC Tech Support

It's cheap enough that you can get away with both. The AP on the spitfire profile often keeps it in the back of my mind as serious consideration, when engaging arm 4+ stuff in cover AP really tips the scales and gets better when the standard HMG pings off ineffectually.

12. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

It's OK...ish. the AP ammo is good but it's not very good at winning face to face rolls if there are any negative modifiers in place and doesn't have a lot of durability

13. dhellfox

dhellfox The keeper of the Forgotten

trust me it was much worse in N3 XD (6ARM, 4-4 move, a dodge of 10 and 16cc for almost 10points and .5 SWC more)

when i use it in DBS i like to think of and use it as a larger fat suit (s5 HI) than a tag lol

14. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Same for Scarface in QK.
    He was more of a big, clumsy HI than a TAG. Except couldn't even go prone.

15. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

I guess the anaconda will get some serious competition soon™.
    That repurposed piece of industrial junk called Triphammer has quite similar capabilities while lacking a certain disadvantage.
    [​IMG]

16. Tourniquet

I honestly think this thing will find a pretty good home in SC compared to some of the the other places it turns up. Being a 3STR bruiser, that can get all kinds of weird and fun stuff from booty (wish it had reroll, though I don't think theres anything this thing would hate to pickup outside of the melee weapons) will allow it to fill that beat stick niche a little better than the anaconda.

Pity we can't attach anything fun to it like a Brigada HD with tinbot though.

17. Errhile

I'd say the Triphammer gives the Anaconda a run for its money.

Stat-wise:
    MOV better (6-4) on Triphammer, (Anaconda is 6-2)
    CC better on Triphammer
    BS same (until you suffer 2 Wounds, if I get the Transmutation rule right - then Triphammer has less BS, and Anaconda is already smoke in the wind!)
    PH better on Triphammer (same caveat as above)
    WIP better on Anaconda. I don't consider it a really important thing though, not on a TAG.
    ARM same (untill 2 wounds are suffered)
    BTS better on Anaconda (this is a significant difference in Annie's favour).
    STR better on the Triphammer, and that is a siginifcant difference (Triphammer 3 vs Anacnda's 2... or 1,5 depending how you see the Escape system's mechanics)
    S same.
    AVA same. Both are noted as Fireteam:Duo, too.

Skill-wise:
    Triphammer has no ECM: Guided (which I see as... very highly situational. Never used it in my Infintiy career).
    Triphammer has no Escape System (thank you lucky stars!).
    Triphammer has a slightly worse Dodge penalty.
    Triphammer is slightly more difficult to patch up with a Gizmokit.

The rest is roughly the same.

Except Anaconda has no Booty,

Loadouts:
    Anaconda is slightly cheaper and carries more diverse weapons load (AP Spitfire or HMG, Panzerfaust and small DTW) for 55-56pts.
    Triphammer has AP Spitfire and Heavy Flamethrower or a twin Chaincolt for 57-58 pts.

There are also two Triphammer variants with Heavy Shotguns and either Mk12 or twin Flammenspeer & twin Panzerfaust.

So, unless I specifically need a TAG-borne HMG, or can't spend 2 more points on my TAG, I'd call Triphammer a better machine. Yes, it is more vulnerable to hacking and other BTS-based attacks. Agaisnt hackers, a friendly hacker could provide it with enough security (in person or via a repeater). For BTS-based attacks, well, gotta bear with it.
    Still, in my eyes an additional 1-1,5 Wounds (entering Unconscious state once 3 Wounds are suffered) beats Anaconda's pseudo-NWI (2 Wounds, but goes out in a puff of smoke once it suffers the 2nd), hands down...

AssaultUnicorn and Willen like this.
  18. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

For the sake of having balanced options I'm quite happy that only the Anaconda has access to that.

Unless troops with E/M ammo are present. The 1 point difference is the difference between being able to try to reset Isolated+Imm-B and to do nothing at all.

Errhile and Tourniquet like this.
  19. Tourniquet

The part of me that likes balance and for everything to have it'd place and use case agrees. The part of me that has become used to modern infinity's Wildcard bonanza wants more dumb combos.

20. Willen

Willen Well-Known Member

The AP Spit + HFT beats Annie by a mile (but now we can use Annie as proxy, yeay!). Plus don´t forget booty. Half the time it will pay for any kind of prize difference.

Tourniquet likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation