1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vostok painted and review

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Magno, Aug 11, 2021.

1. Magno

Magno Well-Known Member
    Warcor

CB was nice enough to send me a Vostok to play with.

I've assembled and painted over 300 Corvus Belli miniatures. I've also worked with hundreds, if not thousands of different plastic/ resin models over the years.

The completed mini:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The mini primes and paints just the same as our metal counter parts.

Pros:
    Much easier to glue and pin
    Magnetized bases stay fixed to transports trays much better with lower risk of sliding or tipping over.
    Adjusting for fit or different angles is easier to achieve.
    Less pinning required.

Mixed:
    Cleaning normal large surfaces, cleaning flash is easier, but mold lines on smaller details need a little bit more effort and use of fine sandpaper and sharp blades rather than files and older blades.

Cons:
    the satisfaction of weight isn't there. Lol.
    If you clean the miniature to high standard, you need extra effort to avoid "gratting" the material if you're too aggressive with your tools. Metal allows more brute force with tools.
    [​IMG]

The plastic is soft and partially flexible, but it doesn't bend and stay bent like you found with Dust Tactics, old Rackham plastic.
    This is obviously a balance of plastic composition that allows for better injection into the molds without sacrificing dynamic poses or detail.

All in all, I'm totally ok with the plastic.

2. RattlerNxt

RattlerNxt We are Bad, but We could be Worse.
    Warcor

The weight is an actual consideration for me too. I can see the difference in the metal and plastic Vostok, how the weight and mass of one kind of gives it more gravity. But it’s a small thing all said and done. Safer models are important too. Great paint job man.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  3. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Honestly having a longtime veteran like you give these a blessing is a strong endorsement as far as I'm concerned :+1:

4. Time Bandit

Time Bandit Vulnerability (Total)

Thanks for the write up Magno, very informative!

5. AmPm

AmPm Well-Known Member

Can you provide some close ups of the problem areas from the original reveal. Underside of the head, front of the arms, etc?

6. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seems like this one had fewer issues around the head area. The hexagonal details seems to have come through better.

CB appear to be aware there's an issue around the head given the news that dropped in the studio update and the final product now has the head bulb as a separate casted piece.

7. AmPm

AmPm Well-Known Member

I'm curious if this is one of the separate head builds or a unibody version.

8. Gurutz29

Gurutz29 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this review and nice paintjob, well done!

9. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Very nice job and thanks for sharing! :)

10. Magno

Magno Well-Known Member
    Warcor

The problem area is in the back:
    [​IMG]

I used my standard files which are too gritty for this type of plastic.
    I will switch to plastic model sandpaper like folks use for high end diroama Tamayia plane and tank models.

At the time of prepping, I was a little annoyed. Later while painting I was thinking, "Why didn't I just use tools suited for the material."

Really, my main concern is that the plastic isn't delicate and breaks under stress, nor is it too flimsy that it deforms easily.
    Neither of this is the case. So, if you like high end work, you still apply the same amount of prep time.

If you're a standard tabletopper, all you will notice is a weight difference.

11. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Nice painting by way.

One question regarding the bent gun barrel. Can it be set straight with hot water/hand dryer?

12. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

...and if not, how drillable is it so that one might insert a pin in it to straighten it?

QFT.

13. Magno

Magno Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Its quite drillable material. In fact you don't want to apply ANY push force for the drill. Let the drill walk itself into the material, or even apply some pull back force to let the drill pass 360deg before going into further depth.

14. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

Thanks. This Makes sense. With a thermoplastic like this, one ought to generate as little friction, and thus heat, as possible.

15. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

Here's my painted Vostok (I asked beforehand so no thread hijacking:wink:):
    Vosti v links.jpg Vosti v rechts.jpg Vosti v hinten.jpg Vosti v oben.jpg
    My experience with the material is very similar to Magno's review.
    The only difference is I still used my file without any problems and after priming none of the scratches were visible

#15 Tristan228, Aug 17, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  16. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

It is so nice to see this glorious orange again!

17. Magno

Magno Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Thanks PS. So Tristan, looks like you did a better job cleaning up the mold line on the back of the remote. Did you end up spending the same amount of time, more time getting it that clean? Give us your thoughts comparing metal remotes to this thermoplastic.

18. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

To be honest that Mold line was almost not existent on my Vostok. There was bit of flash but it was cut away in seconds (I just realized I didn't een take before pics of the Vostok's butt) thus I think I spent less time to clean that up.
    Apart from the weight and the way higher elasticity the only major difference is the material's lower resistance against the tool use. That's something one has to be cautious of during the first few handling steps. As an example you shoud always keep a safety clearance for the clipper when cutting sprue bits away, otherwise the clipper will leave an indentation on the Model's surface which then needs more sanding to even out the surface (as happened on one of my Vostoks rear leg).
    Whilst talking about sanding, I didn't need to change any of my tools (clipper, hobby knife, nailfile) onl the ammount the tools were used was different. The knife was used the most followed by sanding with the file (wet and dry with almost no difference in the finish), the Clipper was only used three times.

Errhile, RAF, RolandTHTG and 3 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation