1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Official Announcement] Injected Thermoplastic miniatures

Discussion in 'News' started by Koni, Jul 29, 2021.

1. nazroth

nazroth 'well known Nomad agitator'

Was thinking in the lines of what Studio Update mentioned, that there might be some mixed material miniatures in the future.

2. Arschbombe

Arschbombe Well-Known Member

This seems extremely unlikely. If they're going to make this capital investment for this technology, they're going to use it. I don't think this would be an interim solution to the tin problem.

chaos11, colbrook and Errhile like this.
  3. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

A few more questions.

Q: Can you recommend any cleaning procedures to prep before painting? How about acceptable primers?

Q: is the material compatible with epoxy putties (green stuff) and other common modeling materials?

colt, Errhile, Golem2God and 2 others like this.
  4. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

this might be more for @Muad'dib but still:

Q: What chemicals would you recommend and which you would warn against for paint removal (stripping)? How will the material behave in prolonged contact with acetone / isopropyl alcohol (IPA) / ethyl alcohol / biostrip and other popular chemicals used for the purpose?

colbrook and Golem2God like this.
  5. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Some common alcohols are compatible with polyamide. No idea what are the active components of biostrip. Here is another table with also PU and PVC, saying ethyl, methyl and isopropyl are OK (IIRC @Muad'dib link said IPA was not so OKish), and acetone OKish (so always quick bath, and as last resort).

Nuada Airgetlam likes this.
  6. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

LOL

A Mão Esquerda and Pierzasty like this.
  7. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Oh my sweet summer child...

Time to poke the Human Sphere admin into updating unpack photos I guess.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  8. Nuada Airgetlam

MayaCast review. "For hobbyists, modellers, artists, the clean up is a little bit rough and hard to get perfect." In another spot he says the same thing and adds that it's nowhere close for artist painters to the clean smooth surfaces you can get with metal.

Ugin and UpirLihi like this.
  9. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

I could not possibly respect the opinion of a "wargamer" who does not wear his smart watch on a NATO strap. ( or zulu or RAF strap. Yes, I know there are no one piece NATOs for the Apple smart watches.)

Just sayin'.

I think using a chisel point hobby knife blade will work better for scraping the mold lines-- the action is more like planing a piece of wood though. It's been my go-to 'scraper' for PVC plastic minis. Also, file in one direction, not like what you see in the video. The point is to not generate too much friction at once, since that generates heat, and softens and melts the thermoplastic. Use the pointed hobby knife to slice.

#329 Red Harvest, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    RolandTHTG and chromedog like this.
  10. Mob of Blondes

He needs a better mic and / or editing. Intro music OK, then whispers.

Have you watched the video? Have you been replaced by aliens? 15 seconds and BAM!!! Only fifteen until catastrophe!

Back to serious (just in case nobody noticed it was a joke)... rough files leaving rough surfaces... welcome to sanding in phases, try "multiple thousands" grit before concluding it can not end smooth. Accelerated bonds (legs to base) being easier to break than plain bond (arm to body, part of the plug breaks)... thanks for the demo. Also I wonder if a method involving sandable primer helps with the "beard" fuzzy thing.

Oh, well, I want one to test myself. Maybe first and last for me, maybe not.

To follow file teeth? Or for different reason?
    Flame polishing. ;)

Dragonstriker likes this.
  11. AmPm

AmPm Well-Known Member

Wow, this looks even worse than I had originally imagined. Super flexible material. Going to feel like a cheap toy.

#331 AmPm, Aug 9, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  12. UpirLihi

UpirLihi Well-Known Member

With a risk of setting myself for a cheap NSFW joke - flexible toys doesn't mean cheap toys. But I don't like how the material handles cleaning too and I'm really concerned about antennas, gun barrels and so on. Way too bendy.

Nopenopenope! The very mention gives me the heebie-jeebies

Daireann likes this.
  13. Daireann

Daireann Well-Known Member

I hope, I would buy most critical miniatures before they would be in plastic.

14. Mob of Blondes

Maybe someone already did the ebb00fe5be6a2c502cb3334e303254fd question...
    More uses for the kitchen torch! Anyone for the challenges?

15. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Day in, Day out. Day in, Day out. Day in, DAY OUT

It is not a bi-directional tool. Same with a hand saw. It only works on the push stroke ( or pull stroke for Japanese saws. And recently, a few saws available in the West) Ah, and the material removed on the push and caught in the file is rubbed onto the surface of the material on the pull stroke. Now where did those fuzzies come from again? Derp. Push and clean. Push and clean. Nail files can go bi-directional, but it is a bad idea to use them on fingernails that way. The internet will tell you why.

Dragonstriker and UpirLihi like this.
  16. UpirLihi

Even with files that can go in any direction or with sandpaper, if you want precise results, its best to push, clean, then push again and so on... It's a right pain if you are not patient though. And if we're swapping the hurdle of gluing metal miniatures with the hurdle of cleaning these plastic ones, this might not be a net positive. We shall see...

Mob of Blondes likes this.
  17. Arschbombe

Arschbombe Well-Known Member

Not sure why this it's so surprising that a new material requires new techniques and different tools. They already told us in this thread that this material doesn't work well with files. They said to use blades and fine sandpaper.

Vanderbane, chromedog and Cthulhu363 like this.
  18. Nuada Airgetlam

Not sure why it's so surprising that it's at the very least inconvenient when established techniques need to be adjusted and that it's at least very concerning that the end effect is still not acceptable (not smooth) for artist painters, unlike previous material.

19. Lucian

Lucian Catgirl Nation

What if you put it in a freezer before filing? :thinking_face:

20. UpirLihi

Unlikely to make enough of a difference. Nylon doesn't change its mechanical properties drastically at least until -40C.

chromedog likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation