1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petition: Pronunciation Video

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Cannon Fodder, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

As a bilingual person (1-English, 2-French), I find any time I'm trying to say something that is not my first language (English), I automatically try and use my secondary languages (French) way of pronouncing things. My sister moved to Norway and keeps defaulting to French Rs and it sound weird to Norwegians. But after 20 odd years it's a hard habit to break. I guess if you learned 3+ languages you might not fall into that habit.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  2. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Personally, that’s what I do. If it doesn’t appear to be an English word, I’ll pronounce it like Spanish or Portuguese. They actually have something approaching consistency, so makes it simpler. For me the tough part is when a Spanish or Portuguese word fits better and is what we use in our house, which then makes asking for it in the “normal” world difficult.

RolandTHTG and Dragonstriker like this.
  3. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

This post may help you overcome your bias against "anglos".
    http://learnjapaneseonline.info/2015/02/16/the-rhythm-of-japanese-improve-your-speaking-and-hearing/

Key point:
    One of the problems, not only with speaking but also with hearing, is that we post‐process what we hear rapidly and immediately. For first‐language comprehension this is very useful. We are able to hear all kinds of strange accents, mumbled words and distortions and adjust for them, processing them back into the sounds they “ought” to be.

However, when we hear foreign sounds, we process them back to the nearest familiar equivalent, ... represent the nearest English language equivalent. So we hear し as shi, for example (in fact it is neither shi nor si but a sound that does not exist in English) ...

More important is the fact that the English sense of rhythm is radically different from the Japanese, and this does make Japanese very hard to hear. Our brains are attempting to post‐process what we hear into something English‐like that is very different from what we have heard.

Abrilete and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  4. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

No, you'd just be openly racist yourself.
    There's a very good reason native English speakers find pronouncing other languages difficult & it isn't lack of respect.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/52493397

"English, ... de-values its vowels continually.

schwa, often phonetically designated by an upside-down e
    <ə>,
    is the commonest sound in the English language.

Schwa is the "neutral vowel" in English. It sounds like "uh" and it replaces the true vowel sound in unstressed syllables except when there are complicating factors. It is the nearest thing to a no-vowel.

Two-syllable English words are usually stressed on the first syllable, unstressed on the second syllable, and the second syllable vowel is neutralized to schwa.

Here are some examples:

parent: is pronounced parənt (PEHRUHNT)
    quiet: is pronounced quiət (KWAIUHT)
    seldom: is pronounced seldəm (SELDUHM)
    In each case, the first syllable is stressed, the second is unstressed, and the unstressed vowel is reduced to the "neutral" vowel, ə."

Esta conversación ya ha llegado a su límite, @prophet of doom. No me cuentes más excusas, a tomar por culo. No te aguanto más.

5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

6. prophet of doom

prophet of doom Well-Known Member

I think it is best to ignore Dragonstriker. No need to have arguments with strangers on the internet.

#46 prophet of doom, Aug 6, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    chromedog and Nuada Airgetlam like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation