1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Female models in Infinity

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by 1337Bolshevik, Jul 25, 2021.

1. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

Yeah.
    I think if we go too far down the rabbit hole of the entomology of ethnic nomenclature we'll get a bit close to political though, so it's probably best to shrug and just say it's a funny old word isn't it?

2. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

That's exactly my point. About half of the setting material of PanO portrays them as this multiethnic corporatocratic state, but then the sculpts and portrayals in art are overwhelmingly White-European.

3. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Well this is my go to reference for this kid of work, I advice experiment, but it is a solid fundamental base.

Why not write that in the first place? would be easier, shorter and more to the point. though why use he term "white European" if you want to say PanO models look like people from Europe?

4. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

Do you really want to say all people from Europe are white? There are huge and thriving non-white populations in current day Europe, not to mention in the future.

5. Hecaton

I used the term "Anglo," which, while means more or less that in American English.

6. Heknerr

Heknerr Member

Anglo-saxon then ?

7. Vocenoctum

Vocenoctum Well-Known Member

Not sure why he didn't just say "white", I never hear "Anglo" in my neck of America, and I think "White" conveys the meaning, that "multi-cultural PanO is mostly portrayed as white people in the model range".

Mostly I'd think that's going to be a hair thing, while ethnicities have common facial structures, it's a bit hard to model much difference in a 28mm mini face. Even hair style in 175 years is not going to mark any sort of ethnicities, I'd think. Everyone wants the hair they don't have...

For myself, I mostly prefer closed helmets unless they're named units. I guess grunt units are okay to be standing there waiting to get shot in the face, but I don't feel like painting eyes or skin tones much for randoms. Of course, my ALEPH can have purple skin and glowing eyes, so meh.

I don't care so much about the heels, but wouldn't care if they disappeared either. But, it does vary by model for me. Some of them look silly, but the Druze Hacker is one of my favorite models.

8. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

This reminds me of the joke.

"People who confuse "etymology" and "entomology" bug me in ways I don't have the words for ..."

9. Hecaton

Because "white" can include Latino and Middle Eastern ethnicities.

10. Hecaton

Sure, but the canon appearance of Shakti is a blonde-haired Euro-looking gal lol

11. Dragonstriker

Dragonstriker That wizard came from the moon.

with glowing pink pupilless eyes. Not exactly your standard anglo.

Cthulhu363 and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  12. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

And the circuitry markings on her face like all Aspects from OSS.

Cthulhu363 and Dragonstriker like this.
  13. Hecaton

Are you following what I'm getting at though? You have a character from a sectorial that was described as "Vedic," with a Hindi name, and yet... she looks like a blonde white girl with extra glowy bits.

Time Bandit likes this.
  14. Dragonstriker

Are you following what I'm getting at though? She's not human so your assumptions are the problem. Or are you going to complain that rebots and probots don't wear yarmulkes?

Edit: Damn you, autocorrect!

15. Dragonstriker

Don't dis my waifu

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  16. Hecaton

If she looked literally inhuman, with like purple skin and metallic hair or some shit, no, I wouldn't be saying a damn thing. You say she's "not human" but her art certainly seems to be portraying a certain kind of human.

17. Heknerr

Heknerr Member

You still can paint it with brown skin and dark hair. It's just the artist and the painter who portrayed her like this but you are free to paint it as you like. But sure, it will be nice to see more Hindi inspired miniatures, every faction really lack of diversity. They just all look the same.

18. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Agreed and that’s the nice thing about miniatures, because you can create the diversity of your own choosing.
    This abolishes the need to dictate what artists should or should not portray of ethnicities (I mean, unless it’s very tasteless depictions of ethnicities).

As you point out, it’s really not that hard.
    I didn’t like the paint job of the Regular Spitfire
    [​IMG]

So I chose to make my own
    [​IMG]

Again, that’s the beauty of the miniature hobby, you can make blue smurfs if you want, without the need of bringing up potentially awkward or uncomfortable discussions of ‘ethnicity’ or ‘race’ of your army.

IDK, that’s just me.

19. Heknerr

Heknerr Member

Look better than the original one.

Zewrath likes this.
  20. Ceilican

Ceilican Well-Known Member

This right here is the whole feedback i'm providing. Please add some sculpts and studio paint jobs that are explicitly non-white.

That's it. It's really easy to go on autopilot and do what you've always done. Sometimes you just need some mindfulness to bring a bit more diversity into the game art.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation