1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting cheap bits for scenery

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by jherazob, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Biomckill

Biomckill Well-Known Member

Exactly! I think they are like small capacitors to start the tubes. In any case, though the tube itself is usually burned before, sometimes you have to replace the starters. If you go for brand news, they should be only 50-75 cents in any hardware store.

chromedog likes this.
  2. Biomckill

Haha, very funny :slightly_smiling_face:... though I suppose you could do something also with used spark plugs. Generator cores?

3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

The dictionary source Google sent me to failed me :(
    (You're from Norway, no? I entered glimtändare as they're called on the other side of the over-sized rock and it gave me "spark plug")

I'm sure there is a project waiting for all old non-oily electrical components! And most construction material, for that matter, after a layer of Mod Podge mixed with acrylic paint.

4. Biomckill

Ok, another. I need to clear my head...

[​IMG]
    Chemical plant pipes

The yellow piece is the head of a dripping emitter (emitter? really?), with a screw trim on top to provide a rounded cap.The translucent boxes are the caps of VGA and HDMI cables, that you remove when you are plugging them. They grey piece behind one of the traslucents is Lego tile, 2x4, and finally, the black plate on the left is the half case of an old 3.5" floppy disk. Yep, I am that old. :stuck_out_tongue:

#24 Biomckill, Jul 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    timberfox, SupersexyJohn and jherazob like this.
  5. Biomckill

Ok, the other side of the chemical tower:

[​IMG]
    Chemical Tower 01

The front with some more detail. The black roundel is a 25 mm with a cut in the middle for the mini, just removing that middle section. Looks like a big screw. The big white piece comes from an iPhone/iPod packaging. It is amazing the amount of PS Apple waste on those packages. It is OK for me, because I can use those bits, but it is plastic waste for most people.

Not very visible, but in the bottom left there are two small translucent bits: those are the parts of CD cases where the hinges are, that are usually broken when you drop the case. They have a nice grid-like look.

Also, you can see on the side two small translucent pieces. Those are the RJ45 connector clamps. Once removed and trimmed a bit they look like hinges.

The big tan box is a phone filter, with connector plugs in both ends, just hidden with a bit of plasticard. The black roundel is a screw trim.

Finally, the big box on top right is made with two caps of disposable razor blades for the sides, a discarded wall switch in the middle, a round Lego piece and some bits of plasticard.

Use the link to access the original pic and the rest of the pics on the Flickr album.

#25 Biomckill, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  6. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Somebody reminded me of these just now and I don't think i've mentioned these here, these used to be in many tables back in 1/2 Ed. Dice cube adshells. Those cubes dice come in can become nice scatter, and i bet these days somebody clever could add a tealight inside to make them even fancier.
    [​IMG]

7. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Yeah, I lit a couple of mine up.
    Not so much a tea-light, but not far from it.
    [​IMG]

Mine used a quad white LED array from a sensor light (power supply had fried, but the LED arrays were still intact) running off a 3v lithium cell with a resistor to reduce current.
    [​IMG]

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation