1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Official Announcement] Injected Thermoplastic miniatures

Discussion in 'News' started by Koni, Jul 29, 2021.

1. SmaggTheSmug

SmaggTheSmug Well-Known Member

I don't know much about types of plastic, hopefully it's not "restic" I think Mantic used.
    I like plastic models (all those multipart kits with alternate heads and arms!), but CB always provided high detail and quality, I feel like that could be lost. Unless it's mainly used for mechanical and larger units, which seems like the plan. I would love to exchange my metal Jotum for a plastic one if it meant the chest plates would stop falling off!

Also using metal dies for plastic models means one can produce a ton of them in a short time. Infinity mass battle game soon?

2. Gurutz29

Gurutz29 Well-Known Member

Ok ok that's a surprise.
    To be honest i'm a bit skeptical 'cause it wouldn't be the first manufacturer to say "look this is our new material and the quality is still awesome" and the final product is crap #finecast.
    BUT I tend to trust CB so let be optimistic.
    So I'll buy Beyond Crimson Stone and judge the quality of the Vostok by my own at that moment. Till then I still got my pile of unpainted minis to deal with.

#22 Gurutz29, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    fatherboxx likes this.
  3. Ugin

Ugin Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Holy-vostoks!
    Then, according to what you've said "Corvus Belli’s first miniature made of injected thermoplastic", would it be different from the Aristeia! plastics?

4. Amusedbymuse

Amusedbymuse Well-Known Member

In my case it's sever case of OCD. There is no way I could mix metal and plastic within 1 game.

Rumdog and ETEA like this.
  5. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

I second this point in general, but on the other hand it opens up other doors in terms of conversions. Cutting through the material to reposition certain elements will be a lot easier with plastics. Also, apparently this change is not going to affect infantry, and I've really only ever bent the legs of Remotes because they were bent out of shape in the first place. If they now work out of the box, that's a-okay with me.

One area where I'd welcome this with open arms is blades. A secondary plastic arm option for certain YJ/JSA sculpts would be a godsend.

wes-o-matic, Delta57Dash and Abrilete like this.
  6. Skjarr

Skjarr EI Mouthpiece

Thank you.
    I am not a big converter or modeller but I can definitely see how manipulating the relativley soft metal would be easier.
    I suppose it all comes down to what you want from a mini.
    They are cool looking gaming pieces to me so provided they still look good I don't really mind what they are made from.

Abrilete likes this.
  7. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

Yes, is not the same plastics. Aristeia! miniatures are PVC plastic produced in China, and this Vostok and the upcoming list of miniatures published will be Thermoplastic made here, in our HQ.

8. Kelthret

Kelthret Usuario

Yup, I'm sure the best solution is to create different molds to create aditional miniatures in a more expensive material for the handful of people who refuse to buy non-metal miniatures.

9. Adra

Adra Active Member

Oh I'm excited about this. I've wanted plastic Infinity minis ever since getting into N2. And as it's only for larger models I think it's going to work great. Looking forward to seeing themin person.

LaughinGod likes this.
  10. fatherboxx

fatherboxx Mission control, I'm coming home.

One thing that worries me:
    TAG Raid kickstarter is soon; now its clear that everything in that will be plastic
    We won't have the opportunity to properly test new plastic models until Beyond Crimson ships, so signing up for the kickstarter would be even more of an unknown risk...

11. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Thermoplastic is a group of plastics and PVC is considered a type of thermoplastic. I assume you mean this is not PVC, and PET is probably out of the question, but what type of thermoplastic is it if we may?

12. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

Feel and quality. Even the best plastic miniatures don't come to the level of CB minis.
    Last weekend I was teaching my nephew painting his first miniatures. He bought the new necron starter box and I compared them with the Infinity minis I had on the table.
    The quality / sharpness of detail is just not there even comparing them with latest of GW minis.

Time Bandit likes this.
  13. SmaggTheSmug

SmaggTheSmug Well-Known Member

Uh, sorry to nitpick, but PVC is also a thermoplastic. But I understand that it's a different type of thermoplastic and you're not revealing which type for one reason or another :)

chromedog likes this.
  14. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

Hello again :)

The Thermoplastic we are using is a Poliamide, not PVC, ABS nor HIPS. It's a new material with similar characteristics to PVC but achieves the definition of high quality resin.

We have made tests with INFINITY Silhouette 2 figures and put them next to Aristeia! PVC Chinese plastic figures and the new stuff wins by a landslide.

You'll see this in upcoming videos and images.

15. Nuada Airgetlam

Nuada Airgetlam Nazis sod off ///

First thing - exciting news and glad to see CB trying to innovate and allow itself to be independent from the Chinese market as well as create better quality product. Fingers crossed it turns out for the best.

Can you please clarify one hugely important thing on the hobby side?

When scrubbed with the edge of a knife, for example when removing mold lines, does the material cleanly scrape off, leaving a smooth surface (just like Games Workshop hard plastics and most resins do) or does it crumble and drag "rubbery" strands of material behind the knife edge, like the Aristeia! PVC and the Megalodron do?

And how prominent mold lines are in general?

Very concerned for stuff like fur on the Bearpode, that kinda detail is ruined by a mold line that cannot be cleanly and easily removed and generally this "rubbery" quality would be a huge lowering of quality for hobbyists and painters when dealing with those minis.

Time Bandit, Adra and Rizzy like this.
  16. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Unrelated. Plasticglues generate a chemical reaction to "melt" plastic. Some of those glues only work with certain plastics (like GW), others are more generic (Tamiya). If a plastic piece is not reactive to a specific brand of plastic glue, it is not because it is "crappy plastic"...

17. Alessandro

Alessandro Member

New player that is waiting his first minitures to paint from Operation Crimson Stone, I think I will buy the Beyond Operation Crimson Stone pack as well.
    I am not an expert by any means but I like the plastic miniatures (to add weight I put a wisher under the base, it is also helpful for storage).

For me, you have the best sci-fi miniatures around and I don't think you will release a bad quality product just for few euros less, therefore congrats and can't wait to see your previews!

RolandTHTG and LaughinGod like this.
  18. Spellbreaker90

Spellbreaker90 Well-Known Member

I think "big" miniatures in plastic is a great news.

Adra likes this.
  19. Daireann

Daireann Well-Known Member

Meh, not a good news for me.
    Metal is heavy and feel as reliable material...
    I would see, how would it be next.

- Now we should be cautious during painting (it is harder to remove colors from plastic)
    - Assembling could be harder. It was easier to bend metal details to make them set correctly.

I am one of those players, who is worried about physical part of the game.
    Not going to say “good buy” to the game, but I am worried. Really.

Modock likes this.
  20. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

I'll miss the weight the models have. I love the chunkyness of the TAGs I own. I can only hope the quality holds up to the claims.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation