1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Model's "Squeezing" past other models or models and terrain.

Discussion in 'Rules' started by WiT?, Jul 25, 2021.

1. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

Can a model "squeeze" through a half sized base between two enemy models, or an enemy model and a piece of impassible terrain?

Like so:
    [​IMG]
    (Image will expire 25/AUG/21 for future readers)

Cheers

2. kesharq

kesharq Lucky Dice-Roller

I think yes. This seems to be covered in the rulebook by the pictures of the REM on the small gangway (do not have the rulebook ready right now). As long as the model finishes its move on terrain big enough to accomodate it, it's a legal move.

3. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

"A Trooper's Movement ends automatically whenever he enters Silhouette contact with an enemy, even if the specified movement route is cut short as a result."

From the general movement rules. Your trooper would stop as soon as it made contact with an opponent.

WiT? likes this.
  4. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

No you can't because you would end as soon as you enter sil contact.

if you're asking as a result of today's game I think you mean can you squeeze past a friendly model and terrain. If the gap is not wide enough due to enemy models to just pass through the friendly model.

WiT? and Lady Numiria like this.
  5. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

The point brought up earlier still stands, though. Whatever other obstacles you’re trying to get past, if you (however briefly it would be) make contact with an enemy model, it won’t work. Because you stop when you make contact.

“I want to go that way but touching an enemy will make me stop” pretty much has to fall under the “No, you can’t clip stuff just because you want to” that trying to clip through corners to save distance does.

WiT? likes this.
  6. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Because the FAQ says "No."

7. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

No, just inspired by it so I will know for if it comes up. Game gets weird when models get this close together...

8. Alphz

To clarify further. The model is not attempting to enter sil with an enemy model. Its the presence of said enemy that makes the model 'squeeze' through terrain. Is that prohibited under the FAQ ruling, or considered allowable?

I'd say allowable under the intent of the rules but the wording may disallow it, but isn't super clear because it was written to address one particular application only.

9. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

Here's the FAQ guidance.

MOVEMENT MODULE While using Move or Climb, can you move 'through' a corner or overhang the edge of the surface, in the same way that you can move through a space that's half the width of the Trooper's base? No. If the space is wide enough for the Trooper's full base, you must use the full base.

Robock likes this.
  10. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

Even the original rules intent was regarding narrow terrain, specifically along the lines of alleys or catwalks. How to move through or past other models and markers is covered in the other rules; the presence of a trooper or marker doesn’t trigger the squeezing rule, which is about terrain limitations, not space limitations generally.

It helps to consider the OP diagram if the markers/troopers are friendlies. You can’t use the squeezing rule to squeeze past friendlies, instead you apply General Movement Rules bullet 5 which says you can move through friendlies as long as their Silhouette is the same or lower height as your Silhouette, but you can’t end your move overlapping them.

The squeeze rule is applicable neither to friendlies (apply the rule above instead) nor enemies (you either have to stop in contact per GMR bullet 8, or you can’t enter contact in the first place if a marker per the various marker state rules).

11. Alphz

I know where you're coming from, but you're making a fairly crucial assumption on the rules intent of the original rule based purely on the lack of completeness. This line of thinking has burnt me enough with infinity to know it's really not enough to go on.

12. wes-o-matic

wes-o-matic feeelthy casual

Actually I’m making that assumption based on the labeling of the pertinent Move diagrams, which have the titles “Move over catwalks and narrow corridors” and “Order (Move + Move) on surfaces that are smaller than the base.” in conjunction with the use of “surface” in the Move rule and FAQ.

The presence of an enemy trooper or marker doesn’t affect the dimensions of the underlying surface. The presence of a wall or open space does affect the dimensions of a surface.

Nothing in the rules says your Silhouette gets narrower in a narrow space (which is a whole other can of worms) so even if the open space between two enemies is wider than half your base and you want to traverse through that gap using the “at least half as wide as the base” rule, your Silhouette will still clip into their Silhouettes, bringing you to an instant halt.

Robock likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation