1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best active long range shooter in Vanilla

Discussion in 'Ariadna' started by Duront, Jul 19, 2021.

1. Duront

Duront Well-Known Member

Hello all!

I am getting into vanilla ariadna and I love the were-creatures and close combat but they need help delivering past long range death dealers. What are some good options for killing powerful ARO pieces in the my active turn?

MSV units have been especially rough for me so advice against MsV snipers would help too!

Thank you!

2. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

The best long range shooter in vanilla is probably the veteran kazak with T2 rifle and X visor, but adding the complication of the MSVs means they'll be paying for mimitism they're not getting any benefits from, so in this case it might actually be the Mormaer T2 rifle.

3. Delta57Dash

Delta57Dash Well-Known Member

The best long range active turn shooter in Ariadna is Duroc.

... I am only half-kidding. Once your opponents get wise to Equip Mirage 5's antics he'll be a lot more difficult to get down on the board safely, but once he does he can absolutely tear apart your opponents' backline. And then Margot comes in to clean up anything that's left.

As for actual long-range weapons, a particularly strong option is the Spetsnaz HMG. Yes, I know, 38 points for a 1 wound model is expensive. But you will not find a better active-turn shooter than this guy. BS 12 Marksmanship with both Mimetism (-3) and Surprise Attack (-3), this guy can kill pretty much anything when used right. Core-linked MSV snipers can still give you some trouble, but anything without either Sixth Sense or MSV (or both) is in for a very unfavorable matchup.

The Polaris Team's Bearpode isn't a terrible option either, able to dodge on 16's and throwing up ARM 5 Total Immunity whenever it does take a hit. With 2 Wounds + Dogged it can be very difficult to actually stop it before it gets in and causes havoc. Just watch out for anything that has a Viral Sniper Rifle, but fortunately those are pretty rare.

Finally, considering you are in Vanilla Ariadna, consider everyone's favorite merc sniper: Knauf. MSV1, Mim(-3), and +1 Burst built-in makes him essentially a 1-man Haris Sniper on Active Turn.

Ultimately though, I'd recommend trying to use Camo skirmishers or Parachutists to break the 5-man link bonus before engaging a Core-linked Sniper, if you can manage it, as without your own Core-linked attack piece you may have trouble getting the Face-to-Face odds to slant in your favor.

4. AmPm

AmPm Well-Known Member

The same way anything handles it, don't hang out in the open on your reactive turn. As for removing them. You have so much stuff that can Forward Deploy/Infiltrate/Parachutist that it should be easy to get in close. I like Spetz AP Rifles for walking onto a board edge once I clear a couple key things with a Spetz HMG or Sniper.

If they don't have an MSV just run up on them with dogs/bikes/etc.

Delta57Dash likes this.
  5. fari

fari CRISTASOL, EL LIQUIDO DE LOS DIOSES

anything with visual mods and high burst weapon

6. Kreslack

Kreslack Unknown Ranger lead the way!

The Unknown Ranger with AP Spitfire comes to mind. Mimetism, MSV1 and Tac Aware all are big pluses.

So does the Frontovik Sniper (with assault pistol) who also has mimetism and MSV1. But I think shines much more in a full link.

The HMG Vet Kazak is definitely another extremely strong shooter if you have alot on long firelanes

I'd like to give the AP Spitfire Ratnik an honorable mention too. Nothing else in vanilla Ariadna has B5, but he also as both Panzerfausts and Flammenspeers at B2 for some long ranger versatility. And is extremely durable.

I'd also give an honorable mention to the Mormaer who though he lacks mods will kill anything he actually hits very dead.

Tanan likes this.
  7. Tanan

Tanan Well-Known Member

Ariadna relies on surprise attack and mimetism to win f2f rolls. Against the gold stardard ARO piece (fullcore BS13 MSV1 W2 HRL), we lack good attack pieces. It’s called faction identity.

8. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

Knauf is one of my favourites. Mimetism, msv, B3 multi sniper and is a beast up close with his heavy pistol too. Cracking all rounder as he qualifies for more than a few secondary classifieds too

McKaptain likes this.
  9. Harlock

Harlock Well-Known Member
    Warcor

In vanilla:
    1.- Le Muet
    2.- Knauf
    3.- Frontovik sniper

Visor MV1 + mimetism

10. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

I use a combination of Spetznaz, Unknown Ranger and the very occasional Veteran Kazak APHMG and infiltrating Bruant as my firepower pieces. However, in general, vanilla ariadna should be using big guns to prey on weak enemies and asymmetric attacks to engage hard AROs. Anything you can get close under camo to throw a shotgun template out is ideal, and you can build lists to punish people counterplaying against the assumption of shotgun-armed skirmish troops - for example, many of my current lists include SAS forward observers and splash in a katyusha. If there's something like a Grenzer on overwatch I can rush the SAS at them under camo and if they use their ARO to discover I can throw out a forward observer attack and hit them with missiles.

Ariadn's main battle warbands (bearpodes, dog warriors) can also brute force through at least some ARO presence provided you don't expose them to back to back to back fire. A single e.g. riot grrl missile ARO through smoke is highly unlikely to kill a dodging or even a move-moving bearpode and if you can close the gap to within shotgun range you've almost certainly in position to solve the problem.

In extremis on really janky open tables there's also a 'ariadnan fiday' which is to just force infiltrate as many models up to the enemy deployment zone as you can. On PH13 rolls about half of them will make it. I very rarely do this but sometimes it's a necessary desperation.

ETEA likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation