1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Makos painting-log (YJ)

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Mako, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Mako

Mako Well-Known Member

Hello all,

so I am just going to throw in all my miniatures that I have painted so far. In the future I will just addwhatever leaves my painting table. At the moment I just play YJ, but I am growing really fond of USAriadna, so maybe thets the next faction that I am going to start collecting, who knows :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thats everything I have painted in the last year or so.

On my painting table right now are some Zanshis with special weapons, Krit Kokram and a WuMing woth RL that I am going to proxy with no shame for a Zuyong with RL.

Jumara, Hope4Sun, ETEA and 16 others like this.
  2. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

Looking very good, keep them coming. Always nice to see how much variance there is on "orange/yellow" models.

Mako likes this.
  3. Mako

Mako Well-Known Member

Thank you! Luckily, orange is my favorite color, so I probably wont get bored by it in the foreseeable future :)

I was able to finish some new models:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Net is a guijia, it'll arrive soon and I am really looking forward to it!

4. Mako

Mako Well-Known Member

The Guijia is done!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried to make use of the many flat surfaces and used some decals for a 1:72 MiG or so that I had flying around. And I also tried to brake up the eveness of the armor by adding some battle damage.

Jumara, Hope4Sun, ETEA and 11 others like this.
  5. Mako

Mako Well-Known Member

It has been a while! I started with a different faction, Military Orders. I got the new starter Pack and I am really pleased with the quality and the sculpts, although the tendency of CB to model the units with one leg atop of some object is really hindering my efforts to create a convincing connection between the base and the model.

[​IMG]

Different focus:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it for now :)

Jumara, Hope4Sun, Golem2God and 7 others like this.
  6. ZlaKhon

ZlaKhon New scale enthusiast

Awesome work! Can you share a bit more about your process e.g. how much use of air brush?

7. Mako

Mako Well-Known Member

Sure.
    I painted these minis in two batches. The first one included the Sepulchre, Lord Commander, Black Friar and KoJ. I painted that batch with my trusty cheap 0.3 china airbrush that came with the compressor. As one might expect, the amount of precision that you get from that aurbrush together with my airbrush skills led to a rather monotone look on the blue in the first batch.
    The second batch I painted with my brand new sparmax 0.2, and it included the 3 Crosiers and the Santiago. There (imho) you can see far more variety in the way that different spots in the blue are lighter than others. I was able to place the highlight spots much more precise.

So for general procedure, I coat everything with matt black and then give it a light zenithal highlight with grey. With the first batch i went for the approach of coating most of the miniature with a basetone and the I tried to work my way "up" towards lighter and lighter shades of blue. Because of the opacity of those colors as well as the 0.3 nozzle not really being up to the task (as well as the fact that I am not a pro) led to the rather bland result. I am still happy though, since I like the tone of blue.
    With the second batch I went for another approach. First I hit the models with the "shadow color" from a 45°-below angle. This will give the darker parts a blue tint. Then I hit the models from above with the middle color, with this color being really diluted. I slowly build up layer upon layer with the lightness of the grey still showing, but tinted in this middle color. And finally I mixed in some pale blue into the middle tone and then set the hightlights at the exposed point (head, calves, exposed thighs etc.).

ZlaKhon and Koin-Koin like this.
  8. ZlaKhon

ZlaKhon New scale enthusiast

Awesome, many thanks for sharing! And glad to hear that the investment in a good gun is paying off! Looking forward to seeing more of the army and I‘d love to see some work in progress while you are at it. E.g. the bases also look really neat

9. Mako

Mako Well-Known Member

So I painted the new remotes from YJ.
    Since I really like the Long Ya's profile but dont like its current miniature and since the chayi platform and the long ya both are S3 I decided to magnetize the weapons and to scratchbuild some rocket launcher weapons system so I would be able to play them as either unit.

Here they are without weapins attached (I know the bases dont fit the surroundings lol):

[​IMG]

Here they are with the HMG and the ML:

[​IMG]

And with the scratchbuild launcher platform:

[​IMG]

Jumara, Hope4Sun, Koin-Koin and 3 others like this.
  10. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

Really nice painting skills you got here. Not just the Military Orders but the rest of the minis you've done.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation