1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.1.1 CC Bait

Discussion in 'Rules' started by Diphoration, Jun 21, 2021.

1. The only thing that I am going to add to this thread is that it is sad to see how in recent years the forum has been filled with threads in which more than asking questions about rules, it is only looking for a justification to cheat.

chromedog likes this.
  2. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Can you point out any examples?

Because I haven't seen anything remotely close to the outrageous claim that you're making.

Discussing rule and make sure things are clear is how we can hope to get a solid ruleset.

Cheating in a game is very trivial and really easy, ff someone wants to cheat, they're not going to go discuss a rule on the forum, they'll just cheat a the table.

#22 Diphoration, Jun 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  3. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Fun fact: most of the mentions the forum get in Spanish platforms (Whatsapp local groups, Telegram, etc...) are "do not go there", Mos Eisley being a much cleaner, safer and nice place to be in comparison. I was of the very few people trying to promote forum usage among players (and specially new people), but nowadays I simply remain silent.

And no, it is not better to have temporary rules that might change or not when a FAQ comes out but are never edited, deleted or corrected. Clarifications are ok, and welcome. Rules/FAQ outside of the published FAQs, and contrary to the ITS reference, are not.

Then you need to think a little outside of the box... A lot of people can claim such or such forum ruling determinates a situation must be solved in their favour, while said ruling has been superseded or even contradicted in subsequent FAQs or even rulings. Also, malicious intent is not needed to "cheat" in this game, sadly. An example would be the Rules Annex calling for sectorial charts/lists in order to create legal fireteams, but said charts were out of date a few weeks ago and in direct contradiction with the Army (for example, Varangian Guard with Duo and Haris in the Army, but no fireteam option in the chart), or how yesterday a player was asking me how to make an Enomotarchos fireteam with Hector as leader... in Starmada (the Army lists Hector's profile in Starmada with the skill).

A ruleset that changes weekly with a FAQ that was promised as every three months (and failed to keep such promised, there were 6 months more or less between the first and the second, and then a second version of the second came out the next day) is not solid, but like shifting sand. Contrary to popular opinion, it is not good for the company for the game to get a "pro-level only" tag: the customer base gets extremely narrow there, and the Code1 line shows an awareness of such reality.

4. Diphoration

Diphoration Well-Known Member
    Warcor

That's still how they do it though, official rule answers and official interim rulings on the forum. Again, you're free to disagree, but that's just how they decided to do it. I also agree that a more regular FAQ or wiki updates would be so much better than having to dig into so much crap on the forum to find the things you need.

Getting a rule wrong is not cheating, the claim was that people go on the forum to find excuses to cheat. You're mixing up two completely different things, that makes absolutely no sense.

Getting rules clear as nothing to do with "pro-level only", if anything, clearing the rule is actually something that benefits rookie player a whole lot more. I spend a lot of time and I know all the rules and I read all the interactions and I follow the forum. But the vast majority of players don't, and when rules are unclear (like the current FAQ for example), we need some communications to make this playable.

Unclear, muddy rules and poor communication is how people quit the game, not because questions are answered, lol.

I think CB should do the FAQ more often, be more open about it, communicate more, and update wiki more (hell, the wiki isn't even updated for the 1.1 changes yet) instead of answering on the forum, but I'll gladly take a forum answer over no answer.

Mogra, Methuselah, Tristan228 and 4 others like this.
  5. Amusedbymuse

Amusedbymuse Well-Known Member

Let's be honest, CB is absolutely shit at informing us about anything. Getting any explanation about any changes feels like freaking Christmas. It's true for rules, deleted profiles and OOP models.
    It's short of ridiculous that we have to figure basic interactions on our own after they dropped FAQ and left us in the dark with vague explanation from Lois.

CB please, do something about your communication with us, players and customers.

Mogra, xagroth, Nat Lanza and 2 others like this.
  6. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

I hope IJW is okay. That and his silence in the past months leaves me worrying.

7. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I have noticed it too, but chalked it to a "be more careful about what you publish". Now that you raise the possibility, yeah, I hope he is Ok :S

8. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

same, I hope ijw is okay. and my thoughts on this faq are that it is great but we needed some follow ups from him or others in charge to just respond with how the newest faq alters the the interim answers we have.

I personally loved that we were getting interim answers that allowed us to play the game in a way that had less uncertainty with the rules until the faq came out. the problem is that there was no follow ups to explain that ABC interims no longer apply but XYZ interims do. so we are at the point were we have to much uncertainty in the rules because of this. if they are going to do interim rulings (which i am happy that they are), the worst thing they can do is stop after a faq that upends everything.

Methuselah, Mogra and QueensGambit like this.
  9. Sirk

Sirk Well-Known Member

I really do not understand. As a game-designer, when there is a question on one of my games that gets unanswered or a bug comes out that I didn't figure out, I lose sleep until I know I have given the players an answer which I believe is good enough. Here we have been all trying to figure out how to apply the latest faqs and all we have from support is crickets.
    Don't take me wrong, I am not angry, nor accusing, everyone behaves according to their own rules and priorities, I am just bewildered of the behavior.
    I mean, CB has made an amazing game: even with all its issues (we know several :P), it's still really fun to play, incredibly balanced in the army building phase (considering all the layers there are, this one for me is just a bit short of unbelivable design-wise), and with an awesome background. After all this great work, I am surprised at how they fall short on this final part against their own interests, apparently.
    To me it's like building an awesome car and then (after all the time, effort and expenses!!) do not care about adding the wheels.

Anyhow, I will play with a RAI approach from the only comment to faq we received. Have fun!

Lawson likes this.
  10. QueensGambit

QueensGambit Chickenbot herder

Definitely something is going on. CB's usual system for resolving bugs is @ijw . It's not a perfect system but it's always been plenty good enough. @ijw hasn't posted since April and not a peep out of CB as to what's happening. This isn't business as usual, though I have no idea what's going on. It's left the rules in a real limbo, for sure.

11. Amusedbymuse

Amusedbymuse Well-Known Member

Ang again it's absolute lack of communication at work here. If IJW is on some sort of vacation they should just tell us. Same if he quit. Hopefully it's not the matter of health, but even in that case they should inform us that he is unavailable until further notice.
    But this matter aside if IJW for some reason can't clear this up, then somebody else should step in and at least explain some interactions with core mechanics like BS and CC...

Mogra likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation